Author Topic: Lands of Lords  (Read 16749 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Lands of Lords
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2017, 10:55:55 pm »
+2
Today Terres Hautes became a Kingdom and with that our realm of Skógrheim became a Duchy!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 11:41:04 am »
Wouldn't really benefit anyone in the end. The vassal slots directly under Kingdom of Terres Hautes need to be reserved for bigger entities anyway. With the forming of Kingdom we also acquired Bois Fleuri https://www.landsoflords.com/arm/org/BoisFleuri and Les Portes  de l'Enfer https://www.landsoflords.com/arm/org/LesPortesDeLEnfer for example. King Hans was a bit too hasty with offering direct positions early in the game (thus Luminia being directly under Kingdom :D). But now that we're 525k inhabitants total we really need those slots/positions to attract the big fishes.

ps: we (temporarily) managed to take advantage of a bug in realm requirements and promoted Skógrheim to Vice-Kingdom :lol: https://www.landsoflords.com/arm/org/Skogrheim
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 11:44:51 am by Vibe »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2017, 01:16:04 pm »
+1
For real, I've never played a game that handled Feudalism so successfully. The game provides a framework, not a series of restrictions. I feel like a fairly wealthy lord, but the distance between me and the ruler of Tepesia is huge and I would never find myself directly communicating with them - not because the game forces that on me, but because it makes sense. And a community like ours that know each other and work closely together end up a strong Dutchy in a larger kingdom, not because we were forced to do so by the game and forced to not be independent, but because joining a larger suzerain made sense for our mutual benefit. Feudal ties can be broken, all alliances are playermade and anyone can attack anyone still, but betraying your suzerain to seek independence puts you in a precarious situation and what sane lord would then accept your oath and offer you their protection?

Even outside of the roleplay (that I wholeheartedly support), the game is good enough to actually foster a Feudal mindset in the players. And that's what other games are lacking. The game naturally encourages you towards a system of vassalage with its 'heirs' system which allows you to create secondary characters and domains, with vassalage as the only way to support them from your parent domain - this makes sure that even the lowliest player-characters have vassals of their own and feel important (and importantly, learn the mechanic). Very smart design.

Couldn't agree more. It's just incredible how well a mere browser game does this. Same for vassalizing your own characters - incredibly smart design, so that even the smallest fishes can feel like a Lord with vassals.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2017, 01:57:11 pm »
+1
I've been highly inactive on my two second domain for a very long time now, most because they had such a huge influx of new settlers I cba speccing and making income sources. They are both in a pretty lackluster location though, one is in the middle of a marsh and only has wood and one source of limestone with possibility of two quarries, the other one is in the middle of sandstone and limestone sources and a lot of open space. I just check in on them now and again to sell the resources they've auto gathered in the quarries then turn them into soldiers. My main domain I've also been lazy on and could be more effective, still got a lot of settlers just building houses, but my house project is almost complete so that'll most likely be done by the end of this week. Then I'll start training them into specific workers most likely.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2017, 03:15:30 pm »
+1
As a side-project I started up a small domain north of Heskerhampton as a challenge due to no worthwhile minerals to mine in it's vicinity, and wanted to try and make it profitable so decided to try and make it entirely hunters + leather. A few days later I learn about the leather + saddle crisis on the market and that most players are speccing into hunters + leather. It would be more efficient to start this up in an existing domain, but the timing on this must be a sign from the heavens to keep up Heskingham.

The leather/saddle crisis is real and anyone who can't make their own is bottlenecking his knights. The problem with leather/saddles however is Tannin. You gather such a small amount of it from very specific tree types, it's no wonder leather is market is dead.

I've become quite lazy with idling settlers lately in my larger domains since I now have so many. Instead of keeping up constant production I pretty much produce what I need to have a surplus of income and make a ton of houses in one go when I start to near the limit. To the casual observer my big 3 domains must look relatively inactive. Anyone else experiencing the same? Or you being efficient and managing to keep everyone working 24/7?

Most of my efforts go to my main domain, efficiently managing units and so on. The main domain has a fuckload of different economy branches (silver smelting, fishes, tools, weapons and armor, hunting, breeding, iron ore, leather etc etc), probably the reason for my wealth, alongside my other big domain. Lots of maintenance because of it, though.
 My other three domains receive less attention:
- the other big one is very low maintenance, because it is purely iron smelting, so I only need to make sure I have enough wood and iron ore to continue generating cash. Got about 3 big groups of housebuilders there and 3 groups for walls+castle. Plan to stop growing after a certain housing is reached. Also military, currently 41 pikemen and 12 crossbowmen there.
- the smaller one needed more attention since it is newer and needed growing, but when it reaches a certain stage (soon) it should be self sustainable and I will stop developing it, putting all of its units into money generators. It's primary purpose is to feed my main domain with silver ore.
- the newest one is a colony way down south on the new continent. Has gold and bananas. Not quite sure what to do with it yet.

It does still take quite a lot of time to manage them all.

We must be starting to reach a good number of troops as a kingdom,

It'll take some time before saddles from Heskingham can start being imported to Heskeyshire for the knight production, but aside from knights I have 200+ halbs/pikes/crossbows at the moment. Out of that number only 5 halbs have been produced in my main domain, I intend to only make knights and siege here so there's still a lot of untapped military potential in my lands. And Vermilion's recently started military production too.

Large battles between kingdoms must be huge (unless they are always spread out and about ravaging each other's domains and fighting 100s of simultaneous mini-battles). Even 200 units feels like a lot, but it's tiny compared to the larger lords.

In total we have about 11.000 soldiers in Terres Hautes (1100 units). So pretty good, but I'd like to see more, especially from us. I noticed you do have quite a sizeable army though, Heskey ;)

Most of my money goes into Knight training. I'd like to reach a number where people would check my domain and go "oh I can't fuck with this guy", ala Hawkwood.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 03:20:03 pm by Vibe »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2017, 10:20:49 pm »
+1
Oh lol, if people have been talking in terms of soldiers and not units in this game then that makes me feel much better about the size of my army. Exactly one decimal place better, I had thought we were very far behind.

Sticking to wood huts in Heskerhampton and sprawling into the ample space I have has been a great money-saving move, and led to very fast growth. Since I'm smelting gold ore into gold there, courtesy of Heskeyshire's mines, and selling it at base price to the market the quality doesn't really matter. That being the case, a ton of the lowest tier furnaces is much less maintenance than a few higher quality ones due to the way auto-tasking works. In fact it's zero maintenance as long as I notice when I need to buy more ore in bulk from my main domain. Both population and military in that domain have skyrocketed to surpass my other domains.

Also, I'm really glad I kept New Hesk instead of liquidating it for bad location. It's also catching up in pop and has an uncanny habit of producing settlers with exceptional Str and Con stats, to the extent that I have a really hard time finding settlers I want to turn into Metallurgists because they all have good soldier stats.

Because I wont be making ranged units in Heskeyshire I have a temple to Qallash - to boost the melee stats of my knights when I make them. My other domains with a large number of crossbows mixed in will instead be praying to that cow one that boosts melee + fire + destruction a small amount. Technically I should be making siege in these places instead of Heskeyshire cos of that destruction buff, but meh.

PS. It is our army, not mine alone. One that I would gladly offer to military service should the need arise for the glory of Skogrheim. May it serve as a modest contribution to the greater overall strength we provide to the realms of Terres Hautes and Tepesia.

Good to hear, I like to consider all our soldiers are everyone's, as I consider Skógrheim to be all of us and not just my domain.

In regards to military numbers in comparison to others - you have some huge realms with absolutely garbage military, to the point it's laughable. But then you also have single domains with knight counts that make your eyes pop out. But I think we're in a pretty good place comparatively and if our military keeps growing as it has lately, we'll be in the top or close to it fast.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1488
  • Infamy: 457
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2017, 01:32:06 pm »
+1
I enjoy reading about your guys campaigns in Land of Lords infinitely more than playing it. This is great!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »
+2
More stories to come, for sure. There is always tension between realms in the air, even though not directly connected to us at this moment.

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2017, 02:55:15 pm »
The management of strategus never really intrigued me. More like an autistic chore I had to do to keep getting good battles. I was really just in it for the town/castle defenses and thankfully after enough shit talking and meme recycling I had to do hardly anything at all but sign the rosters and show up.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2017, 04:50:44 pm »
Sadly at work I cant get screenshots easily to illustrate my posts about other people's bases.

Actually if you are on the map view you can right click and get the image address of the square you're holding over. It's not perfect though and gives a small view, so not really worthy of illustrations of an area but it's better than nothing if  you want a quick pic. 

Offline njames89

• the Old Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 03:41:00 pm »
+1
Along the journey sometimes one must stop to smell the roses huts full of plebs

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2017, 01:14:17 am »
+1
i am the banana king now (my Tropica domain)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2017, 01:23:10 am »
A fitting medal for a monkey brain like you : )

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2017, 03:43:04 pm »
how dare you address the banana king in such a vulgar manner

Offline IR_Kuoin