Don't like it
16 (34%)
Like it, but...
4 (8.5%)
TL;DR
3 (6.4%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Voting closed: June 03, 2011, 12:22:05 pm

Author Topic: A few weapons that really should be unsheathable.  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: A few weapons that really should be unsheathable.
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 04:24:54 pm »
The only thing that isn't cheap, and laced with rampant homosexuality, is noshield melee combat (1h/2h/pole/boxing).  Everything else is a result of excessive obsession with cock in ass.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 04:46:48 pm »
The only thing that isn't cheap, and laced with rampant homosexuality, is noshield melee combat (1h/2h/pole/boxing).  Everything else is a result of excessive obsession with cock in ass.

Spear and shield too .. :shock:

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 04:50:34 pm »

...and it's your right to hold that opinion. However, game balances should not be based around what individuals do and do not like, rather what is a balanced mix of options for everyone across the entire mod.

There's a reason that most major games don't develop based on 1v1 data results.

CRPG is inherently a team game.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 06:17:25 pm »
Dont like this idea alltought it would prevent easy mode cav players goin bezerk after they end their vulture killing spree from the death of their pony  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 07:34:59 am »
Dont like this idea alltought it would prevent easy mode cav players goin bezerk after they end their vulture killing spree from the death of their pony  :lol:

You seem to be having some...."issues" with vultures, little one ?  :twisted:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 11:07:43 am »
Spear and shield too .. :shock:

True, but only because it has but 1 attack direction and is the easiest thing in the world to defend against.   :wink:

There's a reason that most major games don't develop based on 1v1 data results.
Ah yes, the catering to mainstream casual plebs with shitty reflexes and coordination.  You're right, the plague of gaming.  Great example and point.
CRPG is inherently a team game.
Quickly followed by the biggest, lamest and weakest cop-out for balancing failure in the gaming industry.  "Hurr durr, balancing is hard yo.... I know!  It's a TEAM GAME!  That way we can blame all balancing issues on some silly group failure of not enough _____ on one team or too much _____ on the other!  Like WoW PvP!"   :rolleyes:
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 11:50:03 am »
This pops up all the time, and i don't see how it's not touched on more often, but balance is not achieved by revenge. 9 out of the 10 posts i see talking about "balance" are thinly veiled pleas to have something the writer feels is "cheap" because it has killed them removed or nerfed into unplayability. Problem is that people don't accept the fact that to someone everything in this game is cheap.
I think you misunderstood what I meant by "cheap". The reason we had so many people with xbows and thrown in previous versions was that they could take them. Given the option, even a lausy, inaccurate, low damage weapon that allows you to hit from afar, before you get into melee will be used by melee-centric players. As small advantage as it may give, it will be exploited because, why not? (example one of many: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,7176.0.html)

What kind of gameplay does this promote?
Lets say I play a melee focused character. I see a couple of infantry advancing on me. Instead of waiting, or charging towards them I can pull out my incredibly inaccurate xbow and get off a bolt or two before they reach me. Its inaccurate? OK then I'll fire the last bolt from 4 meters shotgun-style and insta-un-sheath my 1.8 meter poleaxe from my back to get into the real business - why not try to remove some hits from them before the melee starts?. Next round I get a better idea: I will stand of a roof, so I get 3-4 wild shots before I start the melee.

The "cheap" ability to take some shots, even lousy ones, promote this king of gameplay like roof top camping and initial 2 minutes phase of high volume missile exchange. Players simply cannot resist it even if the actual effectiveness is low. If on the other hand I had to choose between my big main melee weapon and a lousy ranged+smaller melee weapon, then xbow will stay with the baggage. I will stick with my infantry buddies for mutual protection instead of camping roofs. I strongly believe that ditching ranged sidearms it will result in better game play.

All this is in addition to the other issues with cavs, melee and realism that it solves.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 11:55:09 am by MouthnHoof »

Offline Civilian

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Civilian_ATS
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 12:18:29 pm »
* Awlpike - 1 cm less than the Ashwood pike makes it sheathable?

No to that. It hurts Spear/Shield builds. Forced to drop awlpike to use 0 Slot sidearm with Huscarl or 1 slot with lighter shield.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 12:22:12 pm by Civilian »