Author Topic: Pretty much 80 percent of all battle players use Crossbows  (Read 7804 times)

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
Should I conform or not?

Why should a two hander/polearm in tin can armor be able to use a sniper gun that one hit kills you sometimes through your shield?

Is this balanced?

This crossbow hybrid shit is getting old fast.  Please do something about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline Espu

• The good
  • Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Espu
Re: Pretty much 80 percent of all battle players use Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:53:19 am »
Two-hander/polearm = 2+ slots. That leaves room for normal crossbow that definately does not one-hit kill you through your shield.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:13 am »
While you are making liberal use of hyperbole, crossbows definitely need a good whack with the nerf bat. Something is certainly off when my sword and shield/cross hybrid is more accurate and deals comparable damage to my archer character.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 10:59:53 am »
While you are making liberal use of hyperbole, crossbows definitely need a good whack with the nerf bat. Something is certainly off when my sword and shield/cross hybrid is more accurate and deals comparable damage to my archer character.
Your archer will shoot 10 arrows in the same amount of time in which your cross hybrid reloads his hunting crossbow.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 11:05:27 am »
Your archer will shoot 10 arrows in the same amount of time in which your cross hybrid reloads his hunting crossbow.

:rolleyes:
You ever try using a light crossbow? Its shoot speed is only slightly behind some of the bows, especially if you heirloom it. The only time the reload factor becomes a big issue is if you're on horseback. Horses are the only arena where a bow is the clear champion of the two.

The difference is that bows require significant wpf investment AND stat investment. Crossbows only require an optional wpf investment.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline LLJK_Korea1

• Knight
  • Renown: 30
  • Infamy: 25
  • cRPG Player
  • What of it?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 12:30:34 pm »
y'all mess with my xbow and ill cut you deep  :evil:
PROUD CITIZEN OF PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF LLJK

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 02:45:17 pm »
The crossbow is relatively inaccurate and requires a long reload time. Beyond that, if 80% of players are using crossbows crossbows are amazingly balanced seemingly as every server i go on has a majority of kills done by melee (i'd say at least 70%) unless it's the start of as siege when attackers are rushing into a defensive wall.

Ranged characters have to adjust for drop, flight speed, lateral movement. The crossbow itself is around 2 pounds, the bolts are also 2 leaving you with 4 to 5 extra pounds to carry about, a significant amount if one does not have high athletics (speed is king).

While i've been killed by bows from time to time i've never felt they were broken because of the general level of skill by the players who kill me. When a guy fires from a huge distance away from me while i'm running I swear under my breath a little, look over, and have to admit- hell yeah he earned that kill.

Of course i'm of the strange opinion that the fact that people can kill me in a variety of ways, and that the game caters to a variety of playstyles as a positive. Nothing wrong with competition or variety.

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »
Should I conform or not?

Why should a two hander/polearm in tin can armor be able to use a sniper gun that one hit kills you sometimes through your shield?

Is this balanced?

This crossbow hybrid shit is getting old fast.  Please do something about it.

Guy with offensive name, stop trolling and get your facts straight. Only because you were killed by an xbower doesnt mean they should get nerfed. I agree there should be wpf limitaions on xbows like 20,40,60,80 and 100 for the 5 different xbows. Besides from that they are not op, and as Vargas mentioned its impossible to carry anything above normal xbow with a polearm/2hander. If you try to compare stats of xbows and bows, its easy to get tricked into believing xbows are very good. The power draw of bows gives a lot of damage and missile speed. Also, the reload speed of xbows is very long, though many of the archers often say "oh its just 4-5 arrows for every bolt" one has to remember xbowmen can nearly never fire at a target twice, they also cant do some of the reloading here and some there, they have to do it all in one bulk and stand still while doing so. One should also remember that xbows are extremely expensive.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 04:07:01 pm »
Aye its back to pre patch status with ranged bundle of sticksry gz to all you idiots who loomed the shit out of the normal xbow to keep up your fairy sidearm abuse  :wink:

The xbow might not be insane OP or anything but it hurts the gameplay and turns the game into a ranged duel where who ever gets to pick of most people before the actual battle starts wins hence the 2slot patch was to prevent this scenario and now its back touche....

Also each round we have to wait 3 min for the last xbow hybrids to finish up their ammo before the game can continue its rather slightly retarded  :lol:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 04:13:45 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 04:22:04 pm »
have to wait 3 min for the last xbow hybrids to finish up their ammo before the game can continue its rather slightly retarded  :lol:

Or you could advance behind your shield.

Or you could advance behind your team's shield wall. That would require teamwork however, and people seem to forget that it exists.

Or (assuming non-plains) you could set your team up in an attacking position behind cover and wait for a second. Heck if your team has hoplites you can send them out to flank and then attack in unison while the archers are distracted and cannot fire. My first goal in any engagement is to find the archers and get close enough to them that they can no longer shoot, and it works pretty well. 1 fast melee with a shield can make an entire group of archer either scatter, or pointlessly shoot arrows into his shield while his team flanks from another direction. Where are your teammates? Why aren't you forming plans with them and striking together?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 04:29:46 pm »
and wait for a second.
Unfortunately there's a timer in the game which actually makes this more advantageous for the ranged guys you're hiding from as the MoF flags will draw you out into their fire eventually, or you'll just lose because the other team gets the flags while you are hiding.

Where are your teammates? Why aren't you forming plans with them and striking together?

Because everyone that isn't in the same voice chat with you is a flaming retard and is to be treated as such.

In the case of Eyebeat, he's LLJK so the people in his voice chat are even more of a flaming retard than the aforementioned flaming retards.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 04:38:31 pm »
Because everyone that isn't in the same voice chat with you is a flaming retard and is to be treated as such.

This sounds like more of a maturity issue than a balance issue then, doesn't it? If the perception is that anyone who isn't in TS isn't worth working with, and teams who do form squads and work together consistently get multipliers, it seems that there isn't much of a problem at all. This would be an instance of the players creating a bed, lying in it, then getting up saying the bed is uncomfortable and asking the devs to bring them a Serta.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 05:08:58 pm »

This has always been the case for xbows, as far as I know, all the way back to single player vanilla MB, Multiplayer Native Warband also. Maybe add more reload time to the lighter xbows, as that is supposed to be their, basically, only drawback.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 06:12:50 pm »
just make it so that they have to spent wpf points to use em end of story no more full ranged battle servers
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 06:13:34 pm »
just make it so that they have to spent wpf points to use em end of story no more full ranged battle servers

agreed.