Author Topic: Glaive and Long halfted blade are OP  (Read 4702 times)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
Re: Glaive and Long halfted blade are OP
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2011, 02:48:46 am »
Its not, but its skilless.

As a point of comparison, what would you consider sufficiently skillful?

Without shields i could easily rambo the noobs because they won't have the crazy autoblock that is a shield

This seems like such an odd thing to say. I mean without armor i could easily rambo 2hers because they wouldn't have godlike resistances. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're upset that you can't take on multiple people single handedly? I mean admittedly you feel you should be able to kill them because they are "noobs" in your opinion, but don't you feel it's a positive for this game that what you consider a tactic for new players is an effective means to make "low skilled" players actually effective instead of dead weight? Why wouldn't a shield automatically block attacks coming in from a front if melee block magically blocks every section of the front of your body, often with just a sword and a twist of the wrist?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:53:20 am by Ylca »

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2011, 03:19:33 am »
As a point of comparison, what would you consider sufficiently skillful?

manual blocking

This seems like such an odd thing to say. I mean without armor i could easily rambo 2hers because they wouldn't have godlike resistances. Correct me if i'm wrong, but you're upset that you can't take on multiple people single handedly? I mean admittedly you feel you should be able to kill them because they are "noobs" in your opinion, but don't you feel it's a positive for this game that what you consider a tactic for new players is an effective means to make "low skilled" players actually effective instead of dead weight? Why wouldn't a shield automatically block attacks coming in from a front if melee block magically blocks every section of the front of your body, often with just a sword and a twist of the wrist?

actually without armor i would still rambo noobs, i'd just be squishier.

I'm not upset that i can't rambo noobs with shields, thats why they exist obviously. But i am upset when shielders cry about polearm spam because they suck at this game.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2011, 03:37:22 am »
Its about the player not the weapon.

is that what you tell the ladies?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2011, 03:58:40 am »
I imagine its what you tell the guys.

(click to show/hide)
Turtles

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2011, 09:13:08 am »
They are on par with 2handers, not OP. That is about it.

Thucydides, I wouldn't go insulting people on skill level unless you are the absolute cream of the crop.
Also, the notion that you should beat people when largely outnumbered is bad. Yes, shielders are more cohesive to teamwork and they SHOULD be. 2handers are not, they excel in dueling and that is it.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Thucydides

• Baron
  • Renown: 129
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
  • I shat Uranus
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Thucydides
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2011, 09:25:36 am »
Noobs blame their skillessness on the mechanics of the game. When someone claims that they were "spammed" i assume they were just outfootworked/scared.

I don't assume i can kill an entire squad of people, i just try to sometimes when i'm bored. It works fairly well vs people completely new to the game (noobs) but more so without shielders.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2011, 02:31:29 pm »
Noobs blame their skillessness on the mechanics of the game. When someone claims that they were "spammed" i assume they were just outfootworked/scared.

I don't assume i can kill an entire squad of people, i just try to sometimes when i'm bored. It works fairly well vs people completely new to the game (noobs) but more so without shielders.

I am not a noob i am playing native for 4 years and crpg for 1 years. These weapons are clearly OP.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 03:45:08 pm »
I am not a noob i am playing native for 4 years and crpg for 1 years. These weapons are clearly OP.

And you are clearly clueless.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 03:45:50 pm »
If you would care to elaborate how exactly they are OP that would help. If it is complaint about pole stun, which developers never intended for weapons like these, but is hardcoded to all pole arms then we can't help you.

If you are complaining of their weapon length as pole arms, what?
2handed thrust still has more reach and can get the first attack in. Pole arms are more likely to glance if you get up close on the haft than 2handers. Due to pole arm animation being delayed to attack later into the animation, while 2h animation starts and moves fluidly able to do damage even at beginning of animation; 2handers can effectively attack much faster than pole arm and are more capable of doing spam techniques.

Also, It has always felt, at least to me and people I know, that Twohanders parry and recover faster than pole arms, giving them even another edge in one on one fights. This could be just a bad observation, but man can you attack back just a bit faster with a 2hander for sure.
But that is 2hander's niche -- dueling.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 03:51:15 pm by Marathon »
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2011, 03:52:29 pm »
I am a polearmer since generation 1. So stop playing with me. I love it's stun i love it's useless without crowd on foot. I love lancing.

Stats of weapons never lies. This 2 is so long but so fast. Stop using the advantage and say it like a man that they are OP.  :mad:

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 03:56:15 pm »
The best polearms imo are currently Glaive and GLA - the GLA has insane dmg, is very fast and has bonus against shield.

The glaive is very very long and has good dmg, and nice speed too.

Elegant poleaxe is also very good, just a tad expensive :)

LHB is nowhere near them after the nerf.

anyways; i'd say the polearm balance is fine as it is; you see people with all (many) the different weapons and thats how it should be.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 04:04:23 pm »
I am a polearmer since generation 1. So stop playing with me. I love it's stun i love it's useless without crowd on foot. I love lancing.

Stats of weapons never lies. This 2 is so long but so fast. Stop using the advantage and say it like a man that they are OP.  :mad:
I don't use either of the weapons, I do use the glaive rarely on one character, though.

I am looking for a rational discussion on why they are OP. Can you explain in what way they are over powered and better than their 2h counterparts? I see them as equals to them, but I find 2h still has the dueling advantage as they should. I will say pole arms are much better in teamwork thanks to their overhead attack.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 04:11:09 pm »
L. Bardiche 140/89
Poleaxe 141/89
G.L.Axe 125/90
G.LBardiche 155/87
G.Poleaxe 131/90
E.Poleaxe 132/92

Glaive 160/90
L.H.Blade 153/92

As you can see i am not comparing them to 2h. Just look at their length and speed and tell me why? They giving less damage? No they giving enough damage.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »
As you can see i am not comparing them to 2h. Just look at their length and speed and tell me why? They giving less damage? No they giving enough damage.
You aren't telling the whole story then.
So you are talking about internal pole arm balance. Ok.
Then let's talk about it. That shows only the length and speed, not damage and other modifiers. All those weapons have more damage and a bonus to shield in exchange for length. They are good weapons and are balanced with pros and cons.

Offline Lichen

• Count
  • Renown: 184
  • Infamy: 79
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 08:10:33 pm »
Spam spam spam boom! Too fast
They are probably fast since they consist mainly of a stick with a fairly light blade on the end.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:14:11 pm by Lichen »