Author Topic: A new approach to lancing  (Read 11328 times)

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: A new approach to lancing
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2011, 09:54:16 am »
Just bring poke lancing back to what it was right when the patch came out (you could only thrust straight forward) and let's get this over with.

I've brought some lube, can i get  a kiss ?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2011, 11:08:39 am »
Floris mod has some great sounds for horses. Seeing as it's simply a combination of loads of small mods, I'm sure you could pull the cav sounds out easily. With those sounds you'd always hear cavalry...although with more than 3 charging and a hefty subwoofer you might crap your pants :wink:

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2011, 03:05:17 pm »
Floris mod has some great sounds for horses. Seeing as it's simply a combination of loads of small mods, I'm sure you could pull the cav sounds out easily. With those sounds you'd always hear cavalry...although with more than 3 charging and a hefty subwoofer you might crap your pants :wink:
cool! :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Havoc134

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2011, 07:55:42 pm »
Yeah, better audio for horses would be terrific since on foot you have to be so aware of audio cues and quick about turning around that fighting backstabbing cavalry makes manual blocking infantry a piece of cake. And I continue to disagree about the ease of poke lancing,but maybe that's cause I use a courser which has 42 maneuver. Perhaps with high maneuver, lower speed horses poke lancing is terribly easy and couching is unrewarding but I feel that for rouncy, palfrey, and courser, things are balanced enough. And those are probably what you're talking about since I noticed you used a steppe horse, seawied

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2011, 10:03:41 pm »
the horse sounds are so bad i sometimes have my sound on max. just to hear the horses :|
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2011, 03:32:45 pm »
Against infantry you mostly see high speed passes, though you also see people oneshotted by lance thrusts from near stationary horse and a single high speed pass is a kill in 90% of the cases.
wow, when i use my heavy lance from a near stationary horse i usually just glance off people :(
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2011, 12:36:54 am »
wow, when i use my heavy lance from a near stationary horse i usually just glance off people :(

I think he was using a bit of a hyperbole. When I'm at low speeds, it usually takes about 2-3 well-timed hits to kill an opponent.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2011, 01:14:06 am »
I think he was using a bit of a hyperbole. When I'm at low speeds, it usually takes about 2-3 well-timed hits to kill an opponent.

Tons of cav 1 hit kill without couching using heavy lance.  You probably jsut need 1-2 more powerstrike.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2011, 01:17:54 am »
Talking about at trot speed Kesh  :wink:

While 27p can do significant amount of damage, you would have to be a very squishy character to die from 1 hit at trot speed... Either that or they would have an extremely unusual build

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2011, 10:39:23 am »
Lancers need some changes.

As people are starting to notice (and with a fair amount of satisfactions, I can say "I told you so!") cavalry has become more common after the last major patch. While the causes of this are debatable, I think its past due that we re-examine the lance.

There are two ways to use the lance: poking, and couching. Out of the two, poking is much stronger than couching.

Strengths of Poke-lancing
  • ~+50 weapon reach
  • Extremely high damage
  • Fast recovery time
  • The ability to block without a shield

Weaknesses of Poke-Lancing
  • Requires timing
  • Can be easily manually blocked
  • Can be consistently chambered by a good player
  • Cannot be used by all lances

Strengths of Couch Lancing
  • Does not require power strike
  • Very high damage
  • Fairly easy to time
  • Cannot be manual-blocked
  • Less expensive equipment

Weaknesses of Couch Lancing
  • Reduced weapon length
  • Leaves the horse vulnerable to short spears
  • Very long recharge time
  • Requires speeds not always obtainable by some horses
  • More predictable
  • Requires longer stretches of open, level field

As you can clearly see, out of the two types of combat, poke-lancing is clearly superior in-game. This presents a number of problems.

You sir , are a retard !
You wrote damages wrong,couching 1 hits people or break their shields since it deals huge damage.Poking doesn't deal half of the couched lance damage...
I lost the count is it your 9th Cav Rage suggestion thread ?
Why not buying a spear instead of crying ?
It is either you are a very fail cav or you are a retard who can't hear a horse galloping at you from behind.
Stop suggesting devs to nerf cav and try to buff yourself.
If you can't realise a horse coming to kill you,if you can't dodge or kill rider couching lance , if you can't down block a lance poker why are you still playing this game ?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:47:52 am by koyama »

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2011, 07:22:34 pm »
He is not saying nerf cav, he is saying nerf lancers. He has stated this, as have others such as myself in this thread several times.
If you are going to accuse people of being retarded it might be best if you learned the basics of comprehension. So as to not appear a moron.

And that is just one of the things you got wrong.

Offline Chaos

• Noble
  • Renown: 11
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Takeda
  • Game nicks: Chaos_Takeda, Spec_Ops_Chaos_Takeda
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2011, 08:05:34 pm »
Calm down koyama. This thread is about balancing the two lancer attack methods: lance thrusting and lance couching, which seawied sees as unbalanced and in need of rebalancing.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2011, 10:17:39 pm »
You sir , are a retard !
You wrote damages wrong,couching 1 hits people or break their shields since it deals huge damage.Poking doesn't deal half of the couched lance damage...
I lost the count is it your 9th Cav Rage suggestion thread ?
Why not buying a spear instead of crying ?
It is either you are a very fail cav or you are a retard who can't hear a horse galloping at you from behind.
Stop suggesting devs to nerf cav and try to buff yourself.
If you can't realise a horse coming to kill you,if you can't dodge or kill rider couching lance , if you can't down block a lance poker why are you still playing this game ?

:rolleyes: Remember folks on my first post I wrote a little disclaimer about jumping down your throat if you didn't read the thread and said something stupid? Well folks, here is someone who did exactly that

A few disclaimers:
Yes, I do have a cavalry character, but this is by no means my only character. I have made these suggestions from my experiences of playing on both sides of the horse.
Yes, I will jump down your throat if you say something stupid because you did not read the entire post.

buy a spear? oh geez thanks fuckwad for useless advice. I use a heavy lance. You claim that "poking does half the damage as couched lancing," and quite frankly, thats just plain false. While poking does slightly less, if you are at a couchable speed, there is very little difference in damage between the two if you have a decent amount of PS. Don't believe me? Instead of fingering your ownasshole trying to masturbate your own ego with your clearly poor comprehension skills, try it for yourself.

Do you know why couch lancing is only used against noobs, AFKS, and the extremely rare 1 on 1 situation against someone who is downblocking constantly? Because poking is hands down across the board the safest, most reliable and most versatile choice on cavalry in the game. If you deny this, you sir, are a retard.

Other cavalry are much more exposed and don't have the same killing strength. Try it sometime. 1h/shield is mostly used for style points, and for the fact that it is a stronger build when dehorsed. 2h on horseback? I haven't seen a single one top the board consistently. Non-lance polearm on horseback? Pretty rare, especially since hafted blade has super shitty animation and most other polearms can only use their poke attack.

A heirloomed lance has 30p+ base damage. When you factor in the insanely high speeds horses can achieve in c-rpg combined with the insanely high riding skill you can get, its a sure-kill against any non-tincan. Against other horses? Reach rules supreme. Additionally, a regular lance actually has a FASTER attack speed than other designed-for-cavalry weapons like the hafted blade and the long hafted blade.

So please, numnuts, tell me how couched lancing is the better choice in more than 5% of the situations in the game, and don't mouth off unless you know what you're talking about
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 10:18:42 pm by Seawied »

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2011, 11:15:25 am »
hmm, while i haven't played in a while, i did start playing cav again.

I got 5 powerstrike and 1 wpf in polearms.
I use a courser to get most of my damage. Against other horses my heavy lance is very useful, i just have to release it very early to make sure i hit.
Against inf, if I am riding at full speed, i get one hit kills on people with low armor, against tin cans, it can take anywhere between 2-4 hits at full speed.
With a couched lance, I have to be extremely careful when attacking any inf that is aware of me, as they usually just jump slash me. I find it easiest if i point the lance all the way to the right and ride WAY past em.
If you really want to change lancing, i suggest changing the way horses work. Perhaps halving their maneuverability while giving them a decent speed/hp/armor/charge bonus. This means, cav actually have to line up their runs to do alot of damage. Anyone in their way will come away with alot of damage if he is ill prepared, anyone who has cover to dodge behind can come away unharmed.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »
Wooki, what you outlined is a very popular opinion on changing horses. While I'm not completely closed off to the idea, I don't think it would change the heavy-handed power of poke lancing, and may, in fact, add to the problem.

While you say "halving horse maneuverability," I'm assuming you're using a fair amount of hyperbole. I don't think anyone would want a maneuverability of 25... which would be like driving a 16 wheeler through a grocery store.

My main concern with this change is that this would give a blanket change to ALL horses, and if anything, the extra reach would be made more important. If you aren't sure you can skim through a fray of battle to hit your target and then skip out, you're going to want something that will guarantee your safety. This would make the sword and shield cavalry players much weaker. I also don't like the idea of increasing charge damage, as one's "W" key should not be your primary attack. I think charge damage is fine... if not a little high already.