Author Topic: Looking to upgrade my rig...  (Read 5683 times)

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
Looking to upgrade my rig...
« on: May 26, 2016, 10:46:07 pm »
GPU: GTX 960
RAM: 8GB DDR5(? I think)
CPU: i5-4590 3.3GHz (quadcore)

What's limiting my performace the most? It's the i5, isn't it?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Looking to upgrade my rig...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:08:27 pm »
+1
I have the same GPU, but 12GB RAM and i7-4790 3.6GHz. So far every game I've played runs on max (but I don't play that many new AAA games), except GTA V which I had to slightly tune down. 8GB of RAM should be sufficient for most games, so yes, it's probably the i5.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 11:20:29 pm »
I have the same GPU, but 12GB RAM and i7-4790 3.6GHz. So far every game I've played runs on max (but I don't play that many new AAA games), except GTA V which I had to slightly tune down. 8GB of RAM should be sufficient for most games, so yes, it's probably the i5.

Would you recommend a better Intel proccessor or a different brand?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:16 pm »
The question is why you want to upgrade? If had the money lying around and already bought all the stuff that would come before pc i'd be looking into some badass monitor with 2 or maybe even 4k resolution, 100hz, sync-tech and a fitting gpu setup. Other than that I don't know what for I would upgrade your already decent system. Games don't need end high-end cpu as far as I know.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 11:26:19 pm »
The question is why you want to upgrade? If had the money lying around and already bought all the stuff that would come before pc i'd be looking into some badass monitor with 2 or maybe even 4k resolution, 100hz, sync-tech and a fitting gpu setup. Other than that I don't know what for I would upgrade your already decent system. Games don't need end high-end cpu as far as I know.

Squad does. I don't want to wait 2 years before they optimse it to get decent frames. Since the bigger map in the second alpha test, OKAM is also shaping up to be an unoptimised mess. So that's why.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 12:23:31 am »
From the info you gave, everything is quite balanced, and you're set for 3-4 years easy.
Maybe try to find a corresponding i7 and increase your RAM to 12 or 16 GB?

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 12:48:49 am »
Dont think you need to. If you want to up the processor, go for it. Beyond that there's no need.

Get a processor you can overclock if you're going to get another one though. So you can squeeze a little more out of it before getting another.

I have about the same setup but I have a gtx 660. So I gotta upgrade that soon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 12:51:25 am »
Alright, I was also thinking about getting an SSD, is it worth it?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 12:54:37 am »
+1
Ok so i7: no, don't. The premium is significant for very little added performance in games. Your 4590 will still do for a few years most likely. And your memory is DDR3 by the way. GDDR5 is what is in your graphics card. More memory is certainly not the most pressing matter either.

The best upgrade for general purpose gaming is likely to be a better GPU such as the soon to be released GTX 1060 or AMD equivalent. Your setup is quite balanced as is so unless you intend to play at resolutions higher than 1080p, a CPU+mobo upgrade could also be worthwhile. Consider the midrange Skylake CPUs, i5-6500, i5-6600 and i5-6600K. I'm not sure AMD has very good products in that range right now.

Alright, I was also thinking about getting an SSD, is it worth it?

Yes. This is pretty much a no-brainer, forget about everything else. The 250Gb samsung 850PRO goes for less than 100$ usually.

pogosan

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 12:56:59 am »

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 01:11:39 am »
The best upgrade for general purpose gaming is likely to be a better GPU such as the soon to be released GTX 1060 or AMD equivalent. Your setup is quite balanced as is so unless you intend to play at resolutions higher than 1080p, a CPU+mobo upgrade could also be worthwhile. Consider the midrange Skylake CPUs, i5-6500, i5-6600 and i5-6600K

How do I check what socket I have? It matters, right?

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 01:23:17 am »
+1
If you have a 4590 you're on an LGA1150 socket. The 6500 chips use the LGA1151 socket (they're called Skylake if it helps) you'll need a replacement motherboard and RAM to move to this because Skylake supports DDR4 RAM as well.

If you want to keep it mostly the same upgrading to a relatively fast SSD to install games into is recommended (250GB aren't too pricey) or bump you're processor to an i7 4790K or something to that extent.

As for a GPU your 960 will do fine until the 1060 turns up which will probably be in 6 months or so since it was about that length of time after the 980 was released that the 960 turned up.

SSD will be the biggest improvement without too hefty a cost. A Samsung EVO 850 250GB sits at about £70 on Amazon at the moment, a 4790k on the other hand is still like £290 so that's pretty expensive.

I'd get the SSD first and see the improvement.

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:23:27 am »
Yes. This is pretty much a no-brainer, forget about everything else. The 250Gb samsung 850PRO goes for less than 100$ usually.

So you think, it'd make a big difference in performance with the nvidia setting, that takes load off the CPU by saving to the disk, on?

EDIT: I will get the EVO since it's way cheaper, hope I don't regret it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 01:36:05 am by Golem »

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 06:57:31 am »
i'd be looking into some badass monitor with 2 or maybe even 4k resolution, 100hz, sync-tech and a fitting gpu setup

Do 4k monitors at 100+ hz even exist yet? I've seen 2k at 144hz, but not 4k. Would be pretty nice. 4k still damn expensive though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Golem

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 10:04:10 am »
Also...how about those funky gsync monitors? Monitors usually last a lifetime and seems to me that these would be great for gaming.