Author Topic: Call of Space Duty  (Read 3114 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 224
  • Infamy: 1398
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Space Duty
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 06:02:40 pm »
+1
People definitely would play it againt if they had the chance, it was huge at the time and was before the mainstream cod hype, so even the haters probably like it then.

Never liked CoD. Not even original game. Was mad when friends wanted to play CoD2 on small maps with nonexistent ballistics instead of largely superior BF1942. CoD always was simple man's game. Never my cup of tea.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 10:53:22 pm »
+1
Never liked CoD. Not even original game. Was mad when friends wanted to play CoD2 on small maps with nonexistent ballistics instead of largely superior BF1942. CoD always was simple man's game. Never my cup of tea.

I don't think ballistic matters when you're playing on very, very short distances when you're talking about bullet's trajectory. If you're aiming at someone standing at 50 meters, the bullet is going to go straight aswell in real life. CoDs map size is just too small (from what I saw) to include ballistics. Don't get me wrong, the game is crap on many levels, but not including bullet drop is kind of normal if the maps are very limited in space. Games like Insurgency, on the other hand, should feature bullet drop because some maps are just huge.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 11:28:48 pm »
CoD4 had decent sized maps. When I visit my brothers I play it splitscreen with them.

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 11:30:38 pm »
CoD4 had decent sized maps. When I visit my brothers I play it splitscreen with them.

Must be me then, the typical arena maps are quite small in comparison of games like Red Orchestra.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2016, 12:10:05 am »
Must be me then, the typical arena maps are quite small in comparison of games like Red Orchestra.

Nowadays COD has small maps. But COD 4 and MW2 had a couple of big maps. Overgrown, Wasteland etc...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1901
  • Infamy: 1297
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2016, 01:26:26 am »
+1
There is a reason why CoD games feel like playing re-skinned Quake 3 Arena. Because that's what they are...

Actually first one is single player game made to recreate feel of Saving Private Ryan in a video game. They had one goal in mind, make better filmic WWII game than competition (EA's Medal of Honor). They did that by making almost on rail shooter with strong emphasis on story and cinematics. Bunch of checkpoints that act like progression switches, no AI whatsoever and cheesy story and characters. It's like playing Beach Head where you're not in a trench all time but you can move forward (not sideways and certainly not backwards). In expansion they added multiplayer, to battle with popularity of BF series. It was basically CS with no bullet drop and recoil, people loved it... Fourth installation came when WWII setting became too stale. Now they are rocking sci-fi setting but original formula is still there just like heavily modified Q3A engine that is powering the game.

Brothers in Arms is superior single player experience in every aspect. Battlefield is much better multiplayer game. How lousy mod of Q3A became so popular is beyond me.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2016, 12:17:29 pm »
I don't think ballistic matters when you're playing on very, very short distances when you're talking about bullet's trajectory. If you're aiming at someone standing at 50 meters, the bullet is going to go straight aswell in real life. CoDs map size is just too small (from what I saw) to include ballistics. Don't get me wrong, the game is crap on many levels, but not including bullet drop is kind of normal if the maps are very limited in space. Games like Insurgency, on the other hand, should feature bullet drop because some maps are just huge.

bullets should start dropping at a few hundred meters, depends a lot on what kind of round it is though

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Algarn

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2016, 02:15:48 pm »
+3
bullets should start dropping at a few hundred meters, depends a lot on what kind of round it is though

Calibers like 7.62 Soviet drop considerably at 300 meters, while the NATO 5.56 start dropping at 350/400 meters. Even in the case of the 7.62, it'd take CoD to have huge maps compared to what it is now.

There is a reason why CoD games feel like playing re-skinned Quake 3 Arena. Because that's what they are...

Actually first one is single player game made to recreate feel of Saving Private Ryan in a video game. They had one goal in mind, make better filmic WWII game than competition (EA's Medal of Honor). They did that by making almost on rail shooter with strong emphasis on story and cinematics. Bunch of checkpoints that act like progression switches, no AI whatsoever and cheesy story and characters. It's like playing Beach Head where you're not in a trench all time but you can move forward (not sideways and certainly not backwards). In expansion they added multiplayer, to battle with popularity of BF series. It was basically CS with no bullet drop and recoil, people loved it... Fourth installation came when WWII setting became too stale. Now they are rocking sci-fi setting but original formula is still there just like heavily modified Q3A engine that is powering the game.

Brothers in Arms is superior single player experience in every aspect. Battlefield is much better multiplayer game. How lousy mod of Q3A became so popular is beyond me.

I guess the popularity of these games is due to the fact that it's designed for braindead people, thus easy to get something done (read : killing) even for complete noobs. However, you can only tell the retardation is real when these guys keep throwing money at EA to buy the next CoD, while everyone knows it's going to be more or less a reskin of a recycled, casualized serie.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 02:20:32 pm by Algarn »

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2016, 02:52:26 pm »
Pretty much every CoD game on PC got active players on them, only problem the non steam versions have is that every version of the game got it's separate playerbase due to patches etc. CoD4 is still the most active one though. Around 20 max pop servers that are full at all times during the day. I've actually gone to max lvl around 4 times in Cod 4  :|

Offline Spurdospera

• Earl
  • Renown: 315
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Spurdo...
  • IRC nick: Spurdo
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2016, 02:53:14 pm »
Here are some trajectories of 7.62x39mm rounds (ak-47 variants). Bullet drop and effective range depends heavily on your "meter zero" settings.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: Mortemer
spurdo is as useless as my hat.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2016, 03:34:19 pm »
+1
Calibers like 7.62 Soviet drop considerably at 300 meters, while the NATO 5.56 start dropping at 350/400 meters. Even in the case of the 7.62, it'd take CoD to have huge maps compared to what it is now.

I guess the popularity of these games is due to the fact that it's designed for braindead people, thus easy to get something done (read : killing) even for complete noobs. However, you can only tell the retardation is real when these guys keep throwing money at EA to buy the next CoD, while everyone knows it's going to be more or less a reskin of a recycled, casualized serie.

I liked COD 4/WAW/MW2/BOPS1 though, not because it's just mindless killing but because of the pace the game was played at and the different kinds of weaponry within the game. Not as serious as RO/BF/Arma but not as ADHD hyper as Quake/Doom/Tribes etc....

It hit the sweet spot. Plus the killstreaks made your kills serve a purpose i guess.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2016, 02:05:28 am »
+1
People complaining about cod releasing the same game every year, now they are releasing basically exactly the same game as they have before, and everyone rejoices.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 02:45:50 pm »
+2
CoD is a casual game, you can hop in after years and still feel at home. It's full of content and shot to unlock which makes it fun for a long time. I recently got BO3 really cheap, heaven't played since MW3, the maps are a bit too small and I dislike the thrusters but I still have fun. Call me dumb, simple or whatever, but this does not require so much of my time and attention, while if I play Dota I'm offline to my wife, friends basically the real worl for atleast an hour and these days I just can't afford that. With CoD I hop in and out have fun, have time for my family and still game, for that I'm grateful.
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works