Author Topic: Leave or stay in the EU?  (Read 80812 times)

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Re: Leave or stay in the EU?
« Reply #630 on: June 24, 2016, 03:37:31 pm »
I take it back, the american and other european regressives preaching and commiserating with their brit brethren are probably the best. Look at what this sorry excuse for a lardy manchild has to say on the subject, it's more or less representative. Start from that point on to get his "progressively" (lol) more manic reaction.

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/746126846186655744
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 03:42:05 pm by Oberyn »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #631 on: June 24, 2016, 04:02:24 pm »
I bet staples will go up, perhaps imported goods like medicine will have a knock-on effect on the services/industries that rely on them, etc etc. Wonder if energy comes into the equation as we get a lot of power from France don't we? Will interesting to quantify the effects of the forex even before any actual regulation has changed.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 24, 2016, 04:13:54 pm »
All in all, pretty glorious stuff. Talk of having a vote in Finland too, now.

If Britain is fine in a year or two, I think that's going spell the end of EU.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 235
  • Infamy: 2371
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 24, 2016, 04:17:48 pm »
Problem with EU falling apart is that NATO will significantly weaken and maybe even fall apart itself. Finland would be crazy to leave EU, considering how close they are to Russia...

While EU is weakening, Putin is tightening the grip on his own Union. But you're too busy to notice that.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 24, 2016, 04:18:24 pm »
A lot of haughty disdain coming from people in the 'stay' camp who've apparantly never read any of the political litterature nor opened a social psychology or sociology book in their life.

The nation state strikes back across the board and the refusal to be absorbed by third world mass-immigration and the wish to retain a national identity is being noticed by politicians everywhere in the western world. We know from numerous studies these things matter to people on a biological level and instead of necessarily embracing it or fighting it it is only rational to reconcile with it and accomodate it in public policy.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #635 on: June 24, 2016, 04:19:49 pm »
+1
U wot m8?
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #636 on: June 24, 2016, 04:27:32 pm »
A lot of haughty disdain coming from people in the 'stay' camp who've apparantly never read any of the political litterature nor opened a social psychology or sociology book in their life.

The nation state strikes back across the board and the refusal to be absorbed by third world mass-immigration and the wish to retain a national identity is being noticed by politicians everywhere in the western world. We know from numerous studies these things matter to people on a biological level and instead of necessarily embracing it or fighting it it is only rational to reconcile with it and accomodate it in public policy.

:lol:

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 24, 2016, 04:30:26 pm »
All in all, pretty glorious stuff. Talk of having a vote in Finland too, now.

If Britain is fine in a year or two, I think that's going spell the end of EU.
Our prime minister said he took from Brexit that people wanted a slimmer EU and less immigration, more or less the lesson people should be taking everywhere.

Offline tizzango

• Earl
  • Renown: 406
  • Infamy: 83
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 24, 2016, 04:31:15 pm »
+2
As a Scotsman who voted to Remain, obviously i'm absolutely devastated. Scotland, as a country, voted to Remain in the EU. Literally, every area in the country voted to Remain in the EU.

During the Scottish independence referendum, the 'No' campaign argued that in order for Scotland to guarantee it's EU membership, it would need to remain apart of the UK. That notion undoubtedly induced fear into the politically uninclined voters (apparently they didn't know the UK couldn't guarantee EU membership because they were holding a fucking EU referendum the following years) and swayed them.

I'm a research scientist at a Scottish university, and this involves a lot of collaboration and involvement within the EU. I don't have time to write about everything wrong with leaving the EU, so I won't try and argue the case with anyone here. Ultimately, I am forecasting an economic decline for the UK- albeit economics isn't my forté (I study cognitive neuroscience).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-scotland-referendum-eu-referendum-result-nicola-sturgeon-latest-what-it-means-a7099286.html

Fortunately this outcome now justifies another Scottish independence referendum, so don't worry guys, we will see you again soon.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 11:25:03 pm by tizzango »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 24, 2016, 04:32:43 pm »
The circumstances have changed enough for Scotland to be able to call another referendum, they are about to be taken out of the EU against their will.

Didnt scots vote in the leave referendum?  :lol:
I feel like many here are seeing their first election/referendum in their lifetime, learning how democracy works= majority wins. I dont want to sound too harsh but really guys, get real? There isnt going to be a referendum a year, and successive mini-referendum in every places that arent in agreement with the rest.

Problem with EU falling apart is that NATO will significantly weaken and maybe even fall apart itself. Finland would be crazy to leave EU, considering how close they are to Russia...

While EU is weakening, Putin is tightening the grip on his own Union. But you're too busy to notice that.

EU = economical-political union
NATO = military alliance
NATO =!= EU

Except if UK, and other "leave" countries are going to do so fucking well after leaving the EU that they upgrade their military to a point where they can tackle Russia or China, NATO will stay the same.

A much more important thing related to NATO is the next US president, Trump showed signs of reconciliation towards Russia, so NATO might become less invasive and more isolationist and protective.

The best are the ones saying stuff along the lines of "it should be forbidden for these fascists to vote" or "weighted votes giving primacy to younger voters are necessary" without a shred of irony.

I officially declare Oberyn my new best friend.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:35:59 pm by Butan »

Offline Angantyr

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 24, 2016, 04:35:51 pm »
+1
The main part of the EU army-to-be just left.

:lol:
When was the last time you read any relevant litterature on the topic?

Offline tizzango

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 24, 2016, 04:36:27 pm »
+1
Didnt scots vote in the leave referendum?  :lol:
I feel like many here are seeing their first election/referendum in their lifetime, learning how democracy works. I dont want to sound too harsh but really guys, get real? There isnt going to be a referendum a year.

Yes, and Scotland voted unanimously as a majority to stay in the EU. That is why it gives us precedent to trigger another Scottish independence referendum. See my post above.

EDIT::
Thanks for the fix Butan  :lol:
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 04:43:37 pm by tizzango »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 24, 2016, 04:38:29 pm »
Yes, and they voted unanimously to stay in the EU. That is why it gives us precedent to trigger another Scottish independence referendum. See my post above.

Unanimously = 100%
Majority = 50 +1

A regional part of the United Kingdoms voted in majority to remain, would be more correct.
Saying that it is a basis for further referendums is a completely whacko logic that has no conceivable limits. On that point the UK government can choose to support further referendums, but if it doesnt want to they would be fully in their rights.

Offline tizzango

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: June 24, 2016, 04:50:21 pm »
+1
Unanimously = 100%
Majority = 50 +1

A regional part of the United Kingdoms voted in majority to remain, would be more correct.
Saying that it is a basis for further referendums is a completely whacko logic that has no conceivable limits. On that point the UK government can choose to support further referendums, but if it doesnt want to they would be fully in their rights.

I've corrected my post, your first point is right.

I don't quite catch your drift. The UK government can veto a Scottish referendum, that is right. It would be seen as highly undemocratic, and nevertheless, they can't prevent Scotland from holding an emergency referendum. Part of our devolved powers (Scotland has a devolved parliament; ala Scottish Parliament), as well as the SNP's manifesto, allows us to hold an 'emergency referendum' if the fate of our EU membership is contested because of the UK. The UK can not actively stop this.

I'm not sure if that's what your post was referring to, but I hope I answered it regardless.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #644 on: June 24, 2016, 04:50:48 pm »
+1
The main part of the EU army-to-be just left.

When was the last time you read any relevant litterature on the topic?

Ugh you shitlord, don't you know that practically none of the people either Heskey or Overdriven know were pro-Brexit? It's hard to find a favourite part to this, but the middle class university students realising that they're not as in touch with the 'common man' as they thought is also hilarious. Maybe calling the white working class fucking retarded old, dying, xenophobic racists who don't know what's good for them some more will help matters.

Let us listen and follow our "educated" overlords, we are too dumb to make any decisions on our own since those decisions don't agree with the regressive agenda.