Author Topic: Leave or stay in the EU?  (Read 79529 times)

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
Re: Leave or stay in the EU?
« Reply #600 on: June 24, 2016, 01:15:50 pm »
It largely depends on the next President.

Obama, when he was here, did state we'd be at the back of the queue for trade deals due to the ongoing negotiations already existing with the EU.

The question is whether he was just saying that as a favour to Cameron to try and influence things or not. But regardless by the time it becomes an issue it won't be Obama leading such matters.

Spain already jumping on things: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36618796
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 01:18:54 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #601 on: June 24, 2016, 01:29:18 pm »
There are a lot of parasite speculators that banked on Brexit. They're going to make bank tanking the currency then make bank again once it inevitably stabilizes. That largely accounts for the current instability, not to mention the ones that put their eggs in the other basket adjusting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 24, 2016, 01:33:30 pm »
+2
I wonder how Gibralter feel this morning. They were given their say, voted 90% remain but now are faced with being stuck outside the EU despite their location.

Honestly, fuck Gibraltar. Let Spain blocus them into starvation or whatever.

As for the UK leaving, the only critical thing in the coming months will be to avoid a domino effect. The saboteurs are out, now is the time seriously reconsidering what the EU is for, for those of us who actually want it. Lately, it has mostly been an excellent tool for local politicians to shift blame for policies they voted themselves onto an imaginary class of "unelected EU officials".

Concerning the UK, you don't have any of the natural advantages of Norway or the historical ones of Switzerland. Both countries are practically forced to abide by EU regulations but also have no say in them. In that regard, the UK has a slightly better shot at developing extra-EU exports, but for that you'd need to produce something first.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 24, 2016, 01:35:33 pm »
+3
Knew I should've converted my currency last week.

Could've made a killing converting back into sterling today (if the pound makes something of a recovery as expected)
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 24, 2016, 01:41:10 pm »
Incidentally I believe Scotland has as much chance of leaving the UK as Quebec has of leaving Canada. If you think the UK economy is so weak it won't survive without the EU (lol), what would you make of an independent Scotland? EU may throw some money into that blackhole to spite the english, but they don't exactly need another Greece on the roster. The northern Ireland situation is completely different though.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 24, 2016, 01:46:06 pm »
I'm fully for Scotland staying. But the vote was pretty close last time. It's quite possible that this will swing it in Scotlands favour.

But their entire economic argument at the time was based on oil. That has since been proven to be a pile of crap, particularly due to falling oil prices. So yeah I doubt they'd do well on their own but then that hasn't stopped English voters swinging it for out of the EU.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #606 on: June 24, 2016, 01:48:44 pm »
Lol Gibraltar, my TOWN has nearly triple the population of Gibraltar, fuck them, not our problem, we weren't voting for their sake. I am really am not sure what is going to happen in the shit storm to follow, I am not sure if I am going to like much or any of it, but what I do know is that at least we will get rid of the Scots now, fuck them.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 24, 2016, 01:55:34 pm »
+1
Gibraltar is kind of an immensely important strategic position. I can't see the reasoning for purported patriots to say 'fuck it'. A small piece of land in a strategic position that has historically been and could again be incredibly useful in times of war and the people concerned are the naive globalist bundle of stickss who think there will never be war again. Can't say I get it tbh.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #608 on: June 24, 2016, 01:58:23 pm »
Honestly, fuck Gibraltar. Let Spain blocus them into starvation or whatever.

As for the UK leaving, the only critical thing in the coming months will be to avoid a domino effect. The saboteurs are out, now is the time seriously reconsidering what the EU is for, for those of us who actually want it. Lately, it has mostly been an excellent tool for local politicians to shift blame for policies they voted themselves onto an imaginary class of "unelected EU officials".

Concerning the UK, you don't have any of the natural advantages of Norway or the historical ones of Switzerland. Both countries are practically forced to abide by EU regulations but also have no say in them. In that regard, the UK has a slightly better shot at developing extra-EU exports, but for that you'd need to produce something first.

Don't the UK export a non-trivial amount of cars and medicine?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 24, 2016, 02:00:15 pm »
About 44% of our exports go to the EU. Only around 8% of our imports come from there.

So yeah still have to abide by all those pesky EU regulations but at a higher cost to us due to likely trade tarrifs ect unless we sign up for the single market, which comes with free movement as a requirement. So we'd be back to square one but with no say in how the EU is run.

Apple and pear industry, which is pretty massive in the UK, is now very nervous as they rely on European migrants coming across for seasonal work. Apparently it's a job that they have tried recruiting locals for but no one wants to do it surprise surprise.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #610 on: June 24, 2016, 02:01:26 pm »
+3
Everyone who didn't vote how I voted is an idiot and makes me sad to be British!!!
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 24, 2016, 02:02:36 pm »
That didn't stop 45% of Scottish voters voting to 'leave' the UK this time last year. Support for SNP has only grown since then as every subsequent issue was attributed to 'I guess we should have left the UK', so in light of the recent shambles and lack of leadership there's a good chance that Scotland would vote to leave.

Whether or not Scotland could actually survive on its own is largely irrelevant to how people would vote, it's clearly not something voters in the UK consider when voting. Just have someone parrot patriotic nonsense often enough leaving up to the vote and even the most daunting economic challenges simply melt away.

How do you figure that's going to go?

If Scotland had left the UK during their first referendum they would have been devastated by the subsequent freefall in oil prices, the entire backbone of their economic plans, so only complete morons are saying "I guess we should have left the UK then". They dodged a massive bullet. It remains to be seen exactly how accurate the dire doomsday predictions for the economy are going to be. England is not Scotland. I suppose we shall see exactly how much of the UK economy was propped up only because of european links, but I don't think it's as overstated as it's been made out.
As for northern Ireland I suppose it depends on how the EU vote went there. If it was largely pro-EU it bodes well for reunification, if it was largely pro-Brexit it bodes well for remaining in the Union.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 24, 2016, 02:04:42 pm »
Anyone here willing to explain that a unitary state (united kingdoms) scratching its membership of an economical union with other unitary state (european union) doesnt equal to splitting its own country?

If London and Gibraltar wants to leave, send the tanks.
Scotland already voted once, too late bros.
Northern Ireland should be given the chance though. Maybe even Wales?  :P

I have no chips in this vote, and have conflicted opinions on exit/remain, but god its always amusing to see people rage about good old democracy.

I think its a good time to post this:

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 24, 2016, 02:09:10 pm »
Eh the famous unshakable phlegmatic british character they do so love to boast about while pretending they are being self-deprecating isn't very much in evidence.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 24, 2016, 02:09:40 pm »
+1
Anyone here willing to explain that a unitary state (united kingdoms) scratching its membership of an economical union with other unitary state (european union) doesnt equal to splitting its own country?

If London and Gibraltar wants to leave, send the tanks.
Scotland already voted once, too late bros.
Northern Ireland should be given the chance though. Maybe even Wales?  :P

If only it worked that way. Scotland are allowed another referendum if circumstances change significantly and they can prove that a significant proportion of the population wants the vote. So yeah...not too late bros.