Author Topic: Rogue One (Star Wars) Trailer Released  (Read 4191 times)

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
Re: Rogue One (Star Wars) Trailer Released
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2016, 10:32:46 pm »
I've ceased to be amazed at the internet, but it always puzzles me when a film that was well reviewed and then enjoyed by everyone I've spoken to IRL (whether they were star wars fans or not) is so conclusively stated as a 'bad film' online as if this is a forgone conclusion.

The film was successful. I know this doesn't mean it was good, but this also doesn't mean it was bad. All of my friends, family and work colleagues enjoyed it and so did i (and I'm a massive star wars nerd). People who hate star wars but were dragged there by their other half enjoyed it.

I think Abrams knocked The Force Awakens out of the ballpark. Other than angry nerd rant style youtube videos, I've only heard a lot of negativity about the film on this forum and you know what people here are like.

As for this trailer, Disney have recently become adept at keeping the best parts of the movie out of their early trailers (or even showing scenes that are actually cut by the time the film comes out). The 1st Force Awakens trailer looked like the whole film would just be a jolly Star Wars jape, the 2nd hinted that events after Return of the Jedi weren't as idyllic as anticipated, and then the film starts with a cool village massacre scene. Also, none of the early Force Awakens trailers showed Rey with a lightsaber, only the bit where Fin holds it so that was deliberately misleading. There's a good chance that this film will be nothing like the trailer has indicated, for better or worse.

And if you're really THAT sensitive about the gender of one of the protagonists in a film, at least we're basically guaranteed a Boba Fett or young Han Solo spin-off film in the future. I personally don't necessarily look for 'grit' when i look for sci fi, i spent most of Battlestar Galactica laughing at how edgy and 'dirty' everything was trying to look. But it'd be an interesting tactic to try and go for a different 'feel' in the spin off movies to try and appeal to different audiences, i enjoyed The Force Awakens so maybe this spinoff film will be deliberately targeted at people who want something different in a Star Wars film.

Is it really such a novel notion that something commercially successful can also be kinda crap?
Is McDonald's some kind of high point for culinary experience?

"I've only heard differing opinions from certain types of people" is not a great argument for the movie being good.

Not sure where you're getting this "if you're really THAT sensitive about the gender" thing either since it was you who brought it up in the first place. It was not a weighty factor in my criticism at least.

Fanboy or just enjoy it away as something different, but it wasn't very good in my opinion. And Abrams remains a crap director.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2016, 11:26:32 pm »
A couple of my friends disliked it. But the majority enjoyed it. If you take it for what it was it's a good film. Obviously there are annoyances, like the emo teenage Kylo Ren (seriously I couldn't imagine a less threatening villain), but as an overall movie it's good.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2016, 11:51:11 pm »
It was aimed at someone else? Fair enough, my confusion then.

The defenses thrown up for it are myriad though.

Only angry youtube nerds hate it.
A minority of fans are bitchy about it who can't deal with new canon.
A female lead is too scary.
MAXIMUM OVER-SUCCESS AT BOX OFFICE.
It wasn't exactly the same as IV-VI, therefore bad. Or 1-3, some people are really weird.
Muh racism.

If you didn't like it, it must have been one of these petty reasons. No real person could dislike it for what it is.

This is what got me going.

I give it 4/10, would not watch again but neither would not complain about it in the presence of a die hard fan who I appreciated enough to go to the movies to watch it with.

Good thing http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2261227/ this is coming, going to be the best thing to ever grace TV.

Shit, I just read the Takeshi Kovacs novels. HYPE!

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2016, 12:16:10 am »
Shit, I just read the Takeshi Kovacs novels. HYPE!
http://www.richardkmorgan.com/2016/01/faq-ac/

10/10, ideal conditions. Morgan going to be involved in it fairly heavily, a series instead of a movie, and best of all, maxed out budget, ten episodes commissioned instantly without even asking to see a pilot.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena