Author Topic: Post here if you have not succumbed to the crossbow fever!  (Read 2566 times)

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
Re: Post here if you have not succumbed to the crossbow fever!
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 02:31:38 pm »
sooooo many offtopics :) who just jumped in to defend the freakin thing

My main doesn't use it , won't use it if it gets buffed to aimbot style nor if it gets balanced to use skill points and wpp in a way each other ranged weapon has to deal with.
Same with all other ranged stuff.

Someone said chadz mentioned in the beginning of crpg he intended this mod to be melee orientated. Seeing all this flying sh** all over the place and getting mostly killed by that and not a blade ... even as shield my old friend as myself ... well Fasader&chadz try again.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:34:48 pm by kinngrimm »
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 02:38:04 pm »
Bows were nerfed, so the amount of throwers increased. Throwing was beaten horribly and mercilessly to death, and now crossbows are showing an increase in use. People who want a viable ranged option will find one. Better start hosting more melee only servers.

What really surprises me is throwers complaining about other ranged weapons. Rallying to get other ranged weapons nerfed will not make yours better. It will just make all of them equally shit.

You may have misunderstood me. I wasn't calling for xbow nerfs. Besides the wpf issue (wpf doesn't matter) xbows feel perfectly balanced to me. That is why I was comparing throwing to it. Throwing does not feel perfectly balanced. Throwing is infact now garbage. The most accurate throwing weapon at a reasonably high powerthrow level, with 140wpf is still much less accurate then a regular old crossbow with absolutely 0 wpf or any related skill. The damage in this situation is even comparable to upper mid range throwing (about 6 powerthrow with spears).

Again, I'm not saying "HEY STOP HATING THROWING, LOOK HOW OP CROSSBOWS ARE!" Please don't misunderstand. I'm saying "MY LORD JESUS WOULD YOU CHECK OUT HOW GOD AWFUL THROWING IS NOW." Just so the record is straight.

WPF in relation to ranged in general needs to be relooked at completely. It's a cross board problem that melee doesn't have to worry about.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2011, 02:41:35 pm »
Without having read any recent suggestions (might already have been suggested);

Weapon upkeep should increase in ratio with your wpf for that type of weapon. So if you have 0 wpf, upkeep will increase radically.

Also the wpf should have a more radical effect for weapon usage, though with lesser effect as you get a high wpf (for example, lesser effect starting at 120 wpf). In other words, having 0 wpf should make that type or weapons pretty much useless. Maybe even have a certain point where wpf actually starts to increase the effectiveness of a certain weapon type, for example 60 wpf.

Didn't really give it much thought, but I think something like this would make sense.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:58:34 pm by Lezard »

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2011, 02:46:46 pm »
Anyways its just a part of cRPG that every1 carry a xbow as sidearm either get used to it or get one yourself  :?
U mad bro? Carry a normal xbow just to carry one? paying 500gold each round for no use?

Offline Wrenaq_Lars

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MonkeyBlade
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »
I have just bought one to test out and its easy to get kills with it, I have no wpf in xbow so I think somethings gotta be done.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 02:54:42 pm »
Butan

I said 2-3 sec because it only takes 2 sec for you to be able to fire it again the last 1 sec of the reload animation is just for show if u start moveing after 2 sec you can fire again.  :wink:

I have just bought one to test out and its easy to get kills with it, I have no wpf in xbow so I think somethings gotta be done.

Aye i agree touche the devs didnt make the normal xbow 2 slots like i suggested because i knew we would have pre patch settings just with the normal xbow instead of sniper.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 02:58:02 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »
I know you weren't calling for a nerf, Cheap Shot, but I've seen other throwers doing so. I'd sure love it if all ranged classes could get along and see the bigger picture.

WPF in relation to ranged in general needs to be relooked at completely. It's a cross board problem that melee doesn't have to worry about.

Agreed.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2011, 03:07:56 pm »
Without having read any recent suggestions (might already have been suggested);

Weapon upkeep should increase in ratio with your wpf for that type of weapon. So if you have 0 wpf, upkeep will increase radically.

Also the wpf should have a more radical effect for weapon usage, though with lesser effect as you get a high wpf (for example, lesser effect starting at 120 wpf). In other words, having 0 wpf should make that type or weapons pretty much useless. Maybe even have a certain point where wpf actually starts to increase the effectiveness of a certain weapon type, for example 60 wpf.

Didn't really give it much thought, but I think something like this would make sense.

I had that idea earlier, you thief.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2011, 03:16:33 pm »

Wrenaq u traitor!  :lol:

Btw I wouldnt mind if normal Crossbow needed 2 slots, I would just take the hunting/light and keep doing some minor damage, but adding WPF prereq for the actual accuracy will just make xbows utterly useless if you're not pure range.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2011, 03:31:03 pm »
My main toon admittedly uses an xbow, steel bolts, and poleaxe. But the Xbow and bolts only make an appearance in DTV as something to do if we decide to camp ruins. In other game modes I'm dedicated polearms.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Lezard

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 9
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2011, 03:35:37 pm »
I had that idea earlier, you thief.

Now that you mention it, I recall Bald mentioning the upkeep idea in TS a few days ago. So that's how I got my upkeep idea. :lol:

« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 03:37:49 pm by Lezard »

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2011, 03:48:06 pm »
adding WPF prereq for the actual accuracy will just make xbows utterly useless if you're not pure range.

wpf prereq is terrible in general and shouldn't be used to "balance" ranged at all. It's ruined throwing completely, hybrid and especially dedicated. It doesn't do archers any favours as well I'm sure, but they can speak for themselves. If a less upkeep/greater accuracy curve per wpf point works out for xbowers, which it sounds like it might do the trick perfectly, consider swapping out the crippling wpf prereq's on throwing with it. It can't possibly make things worse.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2011, 04:42:32 pm »

I thought this was changed, that there were wpf requirements for the different xbows. If they arent in I think there should be. (something like 20,40,60,80 and 100 for the different xbows)
On the subject of xbows I dont think they are OP at all. I see a lot more people with bows than xbows. (somewhat 3-4 times as many) so not so many are using them. Also, people must remember that xbows can only be used as a sidearm. They reload too slow, so being a pure xbower is extremely difficult. Also xbows are currently the most expensive weapon type. (arbalest tying with flamberge on price) and considering xbows just can be used as sidearms and the player must have an other weapon (which is their primary weapon) in addition to the xbow. To be honest I think xbows are a bit too expensive and, if Wrenaq_Lars is correct the wpf requirements for different xbows are too low or non existant. If the requirements were set to 20,40,60,80 and 100 xbow wpf for the different xbows I think that should justify a 25% price reduction on all xbows. Also the Arbalest should get its damage reduced to about 76 or something. Imo 79 is too much. (atleast if prices are reduced by 25% or more)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2011, 05:07:59 pm »
I sometimes pick one up, use it as a shotgun, drop it, pick my weapon back up.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2011, 07:14:43 pm »
I actually sold my crossbow from my 2nd alt and retired before 31 to respec. Why would anyone do that you might ask. Well it was 2h / xbow hybrid. Stupid slot system ruined it totally.  :evil:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.