Author Topic: Horse versus Man. Speed suggestion.  (Read 3808 times)

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
Re: Horse versus Man. Speed suggestion.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 08:09:24 pm »
Um , is that the best you've got ?Abit childish. I can reverse it and say - "Is this your way of nerfing your worst enemies' classes in order to make life easier for ya?".See what i did there ?

Can you show me where I say anything about nerfing horse speed? Can't?

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 08:12:55 pm »
Whatever changes you're going to suggest
Hate to quote myself. This topic makes little sense to me, honestly.

Offline Cup1d

• Count
  • Renown: 167
  • Infamy: 54
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 08:25:50 pm »
How can you compare worlds fastest man to the average of many different race horses? Bolt might be fast, but can he keep up that top speed for 50 miles?

Heh, you know horses that can keep up top speed for 50 miles?
I can compare fastest man with fastest horse. Also I can compare average man and average horse.

By what justification do you extrapolate to declare that this is the correct ratio of speeds? Are we all suddenly the worlds best 100 metre sprinter, fighting against riders of the American quarter horse? Did you get the stats for the fastest quarter horse?

No. But we can compare char with 15 athletics (upper limit) and char with 15 riding (upper limit) and fastest horse. Both char gimped, but speed proportion must be correct.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 08:45:29 pm »
While humans can run very fast, we excel not at speed but endurance. We can outrun every land animal including horses. The primary hunting tactic of humans, other than ambush and traps, is to chase animals to exhaustion including horses. Several tribes around the world still hunt this way.

But yeah, horses are disproportionately faster to humans than they should be, if it were real life. In game the horses are always running at a sprint but people are barely even jogging. If there was a toggle-able sprint mechanic in game for characters? Sure then we could compare the sprint speeds.

I don't like this thread already, so much misunderstanding of top speed and endurance of humans and animals :(. The game is far from real life and won't be like real life.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 08:54:29 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Armbrust_Schtze

• Knight
  • Renown: 72
  • Infamy: 110
  • cRPG Player
  • (being watched)
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Philip :)
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2011, 11:44:56 pm »
hes true...and remember that most horses cant be riden like amotor cycle, u had to give it the direction and couldnt drive it like a car, i think the maneuver points should be reduced too.
This masterwork bolt will send you straight to hell Tincan!

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2011, 12:15:20 am »
I just miss pre-january when athletics and agility seemed twice as effective.  You could actually dodge horses then instead of try and walk fast to the left or right like now, while a horse moving at the speed of a freight train runs you down.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline EponiCo

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Aine
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2011, 12:22:19 am »
hes true...and remember that most horses cant be riden like amotor cycle, u had to give it the direction and couldnt drive it like a car, i think the maneuver points should be reduced too.

True. Then otoh a horse can also walk sideways and not just straight ahead.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2011, 12:33:54 am »
True. Then otoh a horse can also walk sideways and not just straight ahead.
Walk not gallop
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2011, 12:56:35 am »
The reasons showed here might not be correct, fast and maneuvrable horses need a good o'll nerf. Again. And I mean it.

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 04:48:10 am »
I think he makes a good point from a realism perspective, mounts in game currently are more like motorbikes. infact my champ arabian has better handling/acceleration than most cars/bikes in other games!

but I also agree with posters that realism arguments are mostly irrelevent, gameplay > realism.

except that in this case I think the game would be more balanced if horses were slowed abit but what we really need is a MUCH bigger effect of althletic skill cause right now its pretty useless.

I have a 10 althletics char and its useless, the speed dif is negliable. 10 althletics should make you run nearly as fast as a sumpter.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 04:49:34 am by Banok »

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2011, 06:23:50 pm »
You're suggesting (seeing as this is a suggestion thread) the nerf of horse speed or the buff of man speed...
So you want to make horses suck more?
No ty

And you can never never use real life examples for games unless the game is designed to be 100% realistic, in which case I want 1-hit-kill horse bumps. I hit you with my horse and unless you're wearing plate (maybe) your ribcage is gonna split, or your leg would break, or your skull would crack. I'd also want horse armour to be buffed so it would become immune to low cut damage. And ... etc etc
If anything horses are too slow, pikemen can turn on the spot and hit you as you rid past them. Not toward them, PAST them

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 07:46:30 pm »
You're suggesting (seeing as this is a suggestion thread) the nerf of horse speed or the buff of man speed...
So you want to make horses suck more?
No ty

And you can never never use real life examples for games unless the game is designed to be 100% realistic, in which case I want 1-hit-kill horse bumps. I hit you with my horse and unless you're wearing plate (maybe) your ribcage is gonna split, or your leg would break, or your skull would crack. I'd also want horse armour to be buffed so it would become immune to low cut damage. And ... etc etc
If anything horses are too slow, pikemen can turn on the spot and hit you as you rid past them. Not toward them, PAST them

Your joking right?  Ask any decent/average cav player and horses don't suck at all unless being near the top of scoreboards consistently sucks for average players.  Most heirloomed coursers can take 2-3 hits froma  pike and 3-4 arrows, sometimes 5 if they get shot at while riding away.  Courser and arabian warhorse have insane maneuverability and speed. 
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 03:30:14 pm »
good cav is on the top of the scoreboard cause we are sneaky bastards that couch lance you in the back :)
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 03:49:09 pm »
u cant ruin the fun for people using unheirloomed horses jsut because youre pissed  by specialized cav men on heirloomed ones.  making the unheirloomed horse any slower would take all the fun out of it,  which is unfair.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:10 pm »
2 top vultures just checked in..

Omg..  We will never be able to balance cav, simply because the horse goes in an additional slot not available without a horse.
The sacrifice for riding a horse is as well far to little, in that it costs only a few points to get riding..

The only way to fix cav for good is to make them spend lots and lots of points in it, so they will be useless on foot.

What I mean is that you simply unlock the AGI requirement for Riding.
Then you send the riding requirement of horses through the roof. (like spend 10 points to get to ride a Destrier..)

We would then see more of STR horsemen with low wpf... Deadly on a horse, not so much on foot..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.