Author Topic: Arabian Warhorse  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
Re: Arabian Warhorse
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 06:26:45 pm »
Which one is the arabian war horse? I'm confused with the new names of the horses   :oops:

The Arabians are the small greys which don't move too quickly but can turn and stop on a dime.  Coursers are the fast white horses you see so many lancers using.  Destriers are the only brown horse and they're mostly used as a more squishy close-combat/bumping horse.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 09:14:11 pm »
The Arabians are the small greys which don't move too quickly but can turn and stop on a dime.  Coursers are the fast white horses you see so many lancers using.  Destriers are the only brown horse and they're mostly used as a more squishy close-combat/bumping horse.

Yep, it's true they're "only" the third fastest horse.  :rolleyes:
Anyway, if you want to know what it looks like and the stats, looking at the equipment should be enough. It displays nice pics of the horse, so you can easily tell wich is wich.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Hunter_the_Honourable

• Count
  • Renown: 229
  • Infamy: 178
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Killing fairy riders for the good of cRPG.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Anti-fairy riders.
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 08:05:58 pm »

their the same speed as a Rouncey (43 speed) 1 slower then a Palfrey so as Bulzur said that only makes them the 3rd fastest horse
How can you trust People?
They are Humans
I never trust Humans.

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:08:05 pm »
I consider coursers "too fast," everything else is either slow or normal to me.  I don't expect, ever, to catch a horse on foot.  I do, though, expect that I'll be able to stab fast enough with my spear that I can kill a horse which is bearing down on me.  With coursers, especially Champion ones, they often come and hit me so fast that I can barely ready a swing before I'm trampled.  They're the ones which I find most dangerous and altogether "too fast."  I know it's entirely an infantryman's perspective, and I certainly don't intend the description of "too fast" as having any blasé normative implication, but when describing cRPG ponies to a neophyte it seemed appropriate.

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 12:55:19 am »
The horses in this game are really fast and maneuverable, but have relatively low HP and armor. I think many cavalry problems would be solved if horses were made slower, but given more HP and armor to compensate.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Ujin

• King
  • Renown: 1057
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 09:41:54 am »
The horses in this game are really fast and maneuverable, but have relatively low HP and armor. I think many cavalry problems would be solved if horses were made slower, but given more HP and armor to compensate.
Im using a champion destrier atm. If it gets any slower i might as well quit playing cav then, it'll get too slow and boring for me.

-2 speed for Courser - 1-2 manouver for Arabian warhorse in exchange for some more armour and health wouldn't solve all the anti-cav whining , i presume ?

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 11:02:28 am »

I agree. Once you factor in riding skill and heirlooms, horses become ridiculously fast and get a ludicrously high speed bonus to their attacks which is a major source of the anti-cav argument.

Im using a champion destrier atm. If it gets any slower i might as well quit playing cav then, it'll get too slow and boring for me.

Destrier is about at the right place in my opinion. I might drop its charge damage down to 30, but leave it unchanged for the most part.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 05:43:44 pm »
either way it makes it pointless to buy a rouncey or a palfrey

Even if you lowered the stats of the courser and arabian it would still make a rouncey and palfrey pointless :?

-2 speed for Courser - 1-2 manouver for Arabian warhorse in exchange for some more armour and health wouldn't solve all the anti-cav whining , i presume ?

Problem is, if you do that, within a week people would be complaining that horses are too hard to kill.

I consider coursers "too fast," everything else is either slow or normal to me.

Except coursers make up for it by having a horrible lack of manoeuvrability. A full speed courser cannot turn for crap. Coursers can only do that at much lower speeds.

No, its really 3-4. Kesh is dead on this one.

I can take most arabians down with 2 arrows, unless I shoot really badly and hit them in the arse. That's with a MSB. They have bugger all armour and HP, and they aren't very fast. Hence why they make up for it with manoeuvrability.

The reason you see so many coursers and Arabians is because they are the 2 best horses. The same way people choose weapons because they are better than others. Who's going to take a palfrey if they can take an Arabian Warhorse instead? Fact is they are also very pricey and make you bleed money.

All the horses have advantages and disadvantages and I think they are honestly very balanced. You pick different horses for your own preference. I like the courser because it adds a speed bonus to my arrows and means I can out run lancers. Other people like the arabian warhorse for other reasons. It's nice to have that option. A lot of the 'solutions' here would essentially make most of the horses the same as each other and therefore take away that choice.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 05:52:20 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:08 pm »
Cant they just reduce its manoeuvre to something more realistic instead of the insta turns they are able to perform atm  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2011, 06:42:20 pm »
I can take most arabians down with 2 arrows, unless I shoot really badly and hit them in the arse. That's with a MSB. They have bugger all armour and HP, and they aren't very fast. Hence why they make up for it with manoeuvrability.

Lol, its not a matter of shooting badly.  if you don't shoot in the head its the same damage only factor that changes is the speed multiplier damage.  You are a horse archer which also vastly changes the speed bonus dynamic.  Just last night I shot this guys amsterwork courser 4 times with MW strong bow, MW bodkin arrows, and 6 powerdraw when he was relatively close and had hit a tree, horse's head was facing away from me (like many lancers he carried a shield so I couldn't shoot him).  For 2 shots to kill not in the head, you need to be shooting unheirloomed courser/arabians with a speed bonus working in your favor (ie charging you, which means you die if you don't kill horse).  The lower tier horses die a little easier and are slower and less maneuverable.

A real way to differentiate horses is make the rouncey the fastest horse but very very easy to die (still lower speed than current courser) and its cheaper upkeep balance quicker death (heirlooming adds to health and armor), desert would be most maneuverable (less maneuver than current arabian) but also dies quicker, then slightly less maneuverable arabian but more hitpoints and armor and higher upkeep.  This would actually bring back the diversity that doesn't exist that youa re so worried about.  people would actually have real tradeoffs where the unarmored horses that have best hipoints and armor (after destrier) are also no longer the fastest and most maneuverable as well.  Otherwise 90% of people pick courser or arabian, that is a sign things are not balanced.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 06:44:47 pm by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 07:44:23 pm »
Lol, its not a matter of shooting badly.  if you don't shoot in the head its the same damage only factor that changes is the speed multiplier damage.  You are a horse archer which also vastly changes the speed bonus dynamic.  Just last night I shot this guys amsterwork courser 4 times with MW strong bow, MW bodkin arrows, and 6 powerdraw when he was relatively close and had hit a tree, horse's head was facing away from me (like many lancers he carried a shield so I couldn't shoot him).  For 2 shots to kill not in the head, you need to be shooting unheirloomed courser/arabians with a speed bonus working in your favor (ie charging you, which means you die if you don't kill horse).  The lower tier horses die a little easier and are slower and less maneuverable.

A real way to differentiate horses is make the rouncey the fastest horse but very very easy to die (still lower speed than current courser) and its cheaper upkeep balance quicker death (heirlooming adds to health and armor), desert would be most maneuverable (less maneuver than current arabian) but also dies quicker, then slightly less maneuverable arabian but more hitpoints and armor and higher upkeep.  This would actually bring back the diversity that doesn't exist that youa re so worried about.  people would actually have real tradeoffs where the unarmored horses that have best hipoints and armor (after destrier) are also no longer the fastest and most maneuverable as well.  Otherwise 90% of people pick courser or arabian, that is a sign things are not balanced.

Courser is different...that does take 4 arrows  :P Coursers have far more armour and HP. And I was talking about when I play as a foot archer.

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 07:52:18 pm »
Cant they just reduce its manoeuvre to something more realistic instead of the insta turns they are able to perform atm  :lol:

This.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 08:01:29 pm »
This.

Then it would essentially be the desert horse...

Offline Sultan Eren

• Count
  • Renown: 217
  • Infamy: 113
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercs
  • Game nicks: Sultan Eren
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 08:10:01 pm »
Then it would essentially be the desert horse...

Keep manoevur reduce the speed for balance's sake.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 08:25:08 pm »
Keep manoevur reduce the speed for balance's sake.

The speed on the arabian is already average. I thought the argument is manoeuvrability? If you reduce that it become the desert horse. If you remove speed it become useless due to it's crap armour (manoeuvrability would count for bugger all at speeds that slow).