Author Topic: Shield skill  (Read 2528 times)

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
Shield skill
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:31:15 am »
+5
Can we make shield skill also affect the weight of the shield as well? Higher the level less weight?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
Re: Shield skill
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 08:41:15 am »
+2
I'm not sure, but I thought weight also played a part in determining whether it would be crushed through. Would be a downside if true, though could have shield skill impact that as well or instead, I spose. Could be totally wrong too, played around with the hypothesis a long time ago but couldn't really tell what impact using Steel Shield had if any.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline dreadnok

• Marshall
  • Renown: 838
  • Infamy: 562
  • cRPG Player
  • fuck these jerkoff kids
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KBW<MB<SoW
  • Game nicks: Gorp_The_Gorger
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 11:31:39 am »
Yoooo mala!!! Ya its suppose too but i still get crushed thru with heavy shields more than i do with just a 1h!  If you jack up shield skill it hurts you in other areas so i cant see it being overpowered?

Offline Argoth

• Count
  • Renown: 232
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Argoth
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 09:04:34 pm »
+1
maybe not shield skill that reduces weight, but looming it should reduce shield weight

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 11:02:26 pm »
Yes shield weight (and skill points) has affect on crush through or not
e.g. a steel shield is very hard to crush through

Yoooo mala!!! Ya its suppose too but i still get crushed thru with heavy shields more than i do with just a 1h!

Thats because, in my experience, most crush through users are very heavy STR based tanks, only a few go with 24 STR, most are 30/33 STR+

« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 11:06:02 pm by Cassi »
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 11:39:44 pm »
I wouldve loved to see shield weights just get decreased in general, like halved or something, anything to encourage the use. Highly doubt they would become op.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 01:41:42 am »
+6
I wouldve loved to see shield weights just get decreased in general, like halved or something, anything to encourage the use. Highly doubt they would become op.

This is exactly what San did while he was a balancer, and now basically any maul can crushthrough 95% of the time without needing to hold their swing at all. Playing as a shielder (especially hoplite) against a mauler is just an automatic loss at this point, basically. The only way around it is pure spam from a super fast 1hander or having some teammates to back you up. Shields need more weight, but somehow less effective weight when the equation for movement speed is calculated.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 02:29:00 am »
Yes, make shielders 100% easy mode.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline POOPHAMMER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 328
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • yes thats me irl
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Barabe
  • Game nicks: POOPHAMMER
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:31:25 am »
While this would buff one of my favorite characters, this would be kinda silly. Shields are pretty strong - they allow you to block ranged and take on group fights, which isnt something you can easily do without a shield. Shields are pretty great as is, in the right hands.
Uther Pendragon: dont worry i wasnt planning on trusting you anyway

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 04:40:47 am »
+1
Yes, make shielders 100% easy mode.

I don't think shields should slow down your swing at all.  IRL a polearm or 2h would not have much of a chance against a shielder in 1 v 1.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:45:07 am by Turkhammer »

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 05:39:24 am »
+1
I don't think shields should slow down your swing at all.  IRL a polearm or 2h would not have much of a chance against a shielder in 1 v 1.

That's not really true, in a 1v1 the skill of the fighter would have too much to do with the fight then the equipment.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 06:31:59 pm »
+1
That's not really true, in a 1v1 the skill of the fighter would have too much to do with the fight then the equipment.

Since it's a hypothetical conversation we'll specify two opponents that are equally skilled in their weapons.  There, that takes care of that objection.  I still maintain that the shield will have the advantage.  The man with the 2h weapon must maintain the range at which he has the advantage.  The man with the shield must close the range to where he has the advantage.  IRL the 2h can't spam like a ceiling fan, so he only gets one shot at the shield carrier before the shielder is on top of him, stabbing at him from over, under and around the shield.  Unlike crpg the 2h won't be able to hop and spin and stab from a very short distance and he won't be able to block the stabs from the 1h because it is so close and he won't see them coming from behind that shield.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 06:37:21 pm by Turkhammer »

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 10:52:37 pm »
Yea, but don't forget axes and pole arms often had hooks on them to pull the shield away.  Also, everyone carried a dagger or a small sword they could use as well, once they were locked up.

Unfortunately there is no good or fun way to represent this in a video game.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 11:42:28 pm »
This is exactly what San did while he was a balancer, and now basically any maul can crushthrough 95% of the time without needing to hold their swing at all. Playing as a shielder (especially hoplite) against a mauler is just an automatic loss at this point, basically. The only way around it is pure spam from a super fast 1hander or having some teammates to back you up. Shields need more weight, but somehow less effective weight when the equation for movement speed is calculated.

But thats how i fight maulers anyways, unless i panic block and hope for a rng roll which is bad. With lowered weight, you get more movement and so easier spam. Blocking maulers should never be a thing, either use range or spam. And with the thrust and right swing we have now they have a really good range game.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:46:22 pm by Gravoth_iii »
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 01:42:00 am »
+1
2h fight should wear you out like in this
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die