Author Topic: Shouldn't combat look more like this?  (Read 7861 times)

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Gaz3545, Gaz.Spencer, Von_Smittenden
Shouldn't combat look more like this?
« on: December 30, 2015, 08:25:37 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPbTWDeqQf0

Sorry I couldn't insert the video for some reason :D

Medieval combat was not based so much around only sword fighting as other medieval games show, but rather it had lots shield bashing, pushing, shoving, kicking etc. In real medieval combat you can only engage one person at a time, any more and you were likely to die, in cRPG for example, a skilled player might be able to kill like 10 noobs with ease, but in real life, any ten people could easily over
over power that person. I'm not sure how the combat could possibly look like that, but it would be cool. Maybe each person could select 3 special moves for their character eg kicking, shield bash, and shove. This is purely my opinion and I know many people will disagree, but to me it would be way better like that. Atleast with permadeath in battles on Epic, people are likely to be cautious, making in more tactical and strategic, not hack and slash everywhere. Maybe holding a key and then doing a directional attack could push the enemy in that direction, that way there's no general shove, but rather, each skill move is completely player controlled, unlike Warband, where a kick is just a kick.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 08:29:12 pm by Gaz.Spencer »

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
Re: Shouldn't combat look more like this?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 09:48:00 pm »
+1

Sorry I couldn't insert the video for some reason :D

Medieval combat was not based so much around only sword fighting as other medieval games show, but rather it had lots shield bashing, pushing, shoving, kicking etc. In real medieval combat you can only engage one person at a time, any more and you were likely to die, in cRPG for example, a skilled player might be able to kill like 10 noobs with ease, but in real life, any ten people could easily over
over power that person. I'm not sure how the combat could possibly look like that, but it would be cool. Maybe each person could select 3 special moves for their character eg kicking, shield bash, and shove. This is purely my opinion and I know many people will disagree, but to me it would be way better like that. Atleast with permadeath in battles on Epic, people are likely to be cautious, making in more tactical and strategic, not hack and slash everywhere. Maybe holding a key and then doing a directional attack could push the enemy in that direction, that way there's no general shove, but rather, each skill move is completely player controlled, unlike Warband, where a kick is just a kick.
Remove the s from https and use the the youtube icon in tools above message body, also use youtubes share link rather than url at top
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

pogosan

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 10:28:37 pm »
+2

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:29:48 pm »
+4
How many of these people die? Yeah, there's your answer. Combat should not look like that.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 10:30:35 pm »
you have a point, but I was more thinking about how the fight looks more like a brawl, rather than fencing.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
I know what you guys are saying, but what I mean is that they don't only fight with swords and shields, they use their whole body

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 10:32:39 pm »
+6
Because it is a brawl, with no one having to fear death or trying to kill anyone, or even being capable of killing anyone. Why do you think the fighting in that video is closer to real combat than fencing, rather than as far away from real combat as fencing?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 10:37:27 pm »
Because real medieval combat involved the use of the whole body, not just a fencing style fighting. I agree with you completely, and I'm just saying that combat in Melee should have more depth than just attacks and blocks. I also know that developers have already mentioned this, but I'm saying that the pushing, shoving, kicking should play a bigger part than it does in other games. I understand that the game won't be medieval combat simulator, but I would just like that extra depth.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 11:05:21 pm »
+2
Gaz you do know you can push, shove and kick in crpg right? So bearing that in mind I am sure they will implement something similar in their new game.
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 11:14:54 pm »
+1
It is more like tournament/training methods, no stabby weapons, and weapon weight limit and many other aspects. On other side i can agree that it is closer to real fights than fencing but we had similar situations in crpg. Nowadays we have just to lite players to see that again.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 11:50:11 pm »
+5
Because it looks absolutely ridiculous, and probably incredibly hard to implement in a way where it would be fun gameplay wise, and not just a clutter of wrestlers.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 12:36:23 am »
[N]o

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 01:30:14 am »
+1
This isn't realistic at all. I want to see you throwing yourself willingly on the ground with at an opponent when you're sorrounded all around you by sharp metal object that are stabbed violently towards anything that draws breath.
Sure, in a small skirmish with even numbers it might work. Also take note that the rules of these kind of engagements do not permit you to get on your feet once someone knocks you on your back. That's really stupid in my mind, it should be just like other martial arts. You either give up, they knock you out or you suffer an injury and can no longer compete. Imo the only reason so much takedownds are happening in there is because of the rules. That's why opponents have to be separated by a rope in this video:
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 03:04:31 am »
Also, those weapons are crap. If poleaxes and spears and maces and halberds and swords were that bad at doing damage to full plate, every knight in history would have carried nothing but rondel daggers, since apparently you can just ignore every strike from longer weapons.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gaz.Spencer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 03:10:00 am »
I didn't mean all of it was realistic, because it isn't. Just some elements as to how they also use a lot of shield bashing, shoving etc.

Ancient medieval battle depictions showed a close up fight, that did look a lot like a big brawl. I'm open to correction, and I don't mind whether Melee: Battlegrounds decides to make combat more like fencing, or a more brawl style. Of course there is a lack of use in weapons in the video because they can't kill people, and in real life weapons would be used far more.

Of course paintings may not be very true to how battles were, but I think they would have had a bit of a brawling style in them. Think about it, if you shoved somebody over, you could easily hold them down and kill them, that is if you don't have others attacking you.

I'm merely throwing some ideas around, and I'm not for or against anything.