Author Topic: Sicario  (Read 4994 times)

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
Re: Sicario
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2015, 03:22:55 pm »
No, you said you'd guess it might be for people who like action movies to which Xant replied that it is far from an action movie, which I can confirm.

Well it's listed as action/drama/crime so I simply said people that like that genre (Action) might like it too.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2015, 11:06:11 am »
+1
I didn't see what made this movie so special so I simply said that. The logical response would be to give a reason on why it's the best movie of 2015 and why should I give it a chance and watch it.

Xant said why he thinks it's the best movie in his opening post

"Pulls no punches, no Hollywood cop outs, avoids the usual clichés in regards to action scenes and female protagonists. 13/10."

It's really hard to give anything more specific without completely spoiling the story. And you really should not talk so much about a movie you don't have a clue about. Watch it and comment, because otherwise your input is pretty worthless on it (you're basing your opinion on a single line of text, a trailer and genre attached to it).

As for my input: liked the movie a lot. Very suspenseful soundtrack, which I loved. Main character is hard to relate to, feels even slightly too clueless at times, but I guess that's the point of the whole movie. Good story. I'd lay down with both Emily and Benicio though.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:09:50 am by Vibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 11:47:52 am »
As for my input: liked the movie a lot. Very suspenseful soundtrack, which I loved. Main character is hard to relate to, feels even slightly too clueless at times, but I guess that's the point of the whole movie. Good story. I'd lay down with both Emily and Benicio though.
The way it's shot is different from usual, though. Blunt isn't a main character like James Bond is the main character of Bond movies. Benicio kind of becomes the main character for the latter half of the movie, as well.

I liked the whole subtle cinematography with no underlining. The movie also expects you to do some thinking yourself, there are no big puzzles but it doesn't straight out come and say some things, you have to count 1+1+1=3.

Tactics/action was also done very well, they definitely used some former military consultant and actually listened to him.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2015, 12:37:21 pm »
Xant said why he thinks it's the best movie in his opening post

"Pulls no punches, no Hollywood cop outs, avoids the usual clichés in regards to action scenes and female protagonists. 13/10."

That actually was the basic point of why it is good. Watched it too. It was pretty solid. Its extremely rare these days to see a movie thats not a massive clichefest. For some reason writers seem obligated to follow some kind of checklist. "empowering womanhood" check, "shitty, but obligatory romance" check. "some deep message to make dumb people feel smart" check, "point that friends/or family are good" check, "an unexpected shyamalan type of twist" check.

A movie avoiding all that in a big budget Hollywood film and have some kind of solid story is rare. The fact that I was more suprised that there wasnt a twist, than I would have been if there was one, clearly indicates that twists are no-longer really anyones thing because of overuse.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 12:44:56 pm by Tibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2015, 01:00:55 pm »
When those CIA guys made it clear to Blunt she's nothing but red tape and is really just in the way, I kept waiting for Blunt's character to pull a Hollywood cliché out of her butt, saving one of their lives or making a major breakthrough so that the CIA guys would go "omg, we were so wrong, you're part of the team *fist bump*"..... but didn't happen. So good. And it's so gay that something retarded NOT happening is a great thing in a movie these days.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2015, 04:54:03 pm »
best movie 2015 is mad max
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2015, 06:10:36 pm »
+2
Might be the worst movie of 2015.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2015, 07:08:38 pm »
When those CIA guys made it clear to Blunt she's nothing but red tape and is really just in the way, I kept waiting for Blunt's character to pull a Hollywood cliché out of her butt, saving one of their lives or making a major breakthrough so that the CIA guys would go "omg, we were so wrong, you're part of the team *fist bump*"..... but didn't happen. So good. And it's so gay that something retarded NOT happening is a great thing in a movie these days.
...and not a single superactionheromove.
NIce to see that not all US movies dwell in their own buble of clichés.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2015, 07:57:08 pm »
+1
...and not a single superactionheromove.
NIce to see that not all US movies dwell in their own buble of clichés.

Well.....Benicio was a little too badass imo. Mainly at the end. But he did have some help from the sky and it wasnt fancy explosions or anything like that, so it was passable.

:D

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:01:16 pm by Tibe »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2015, 08:56:23 pm »
Well.....Benicio was a little too badass imo. Mainly at the end. But he did have some help from the sky and it wasnt fancy explosions or anything like that, so it was passable.

None of the things he did were unbelievable in the slightest. Any competent shooter with good nerves could do the same. It's not like he went Max Payne on people, he had the element of surprise.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2016, 11:07:30 pm »
Awesome movie, few better I've seen in recent years. Though Birdman was the best movie of 2015.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:10:35 pm by Falka »

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2016, 11:10:23 pm »
+1

You made me upvote Xant.

Think on what you've done.

Offline ecorcheur_brokar

• Earl
  • Renown: 482
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player
  • The guy who kill with one blow
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Brokar/SuisseMonCervela/CheeseInMyPants
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2016, 11:55:18 pm »
Saw "incendies" from the same scenarist, excellent movie! Two kids living in Canada trying to figure out the past life of their mother during the lebanese war after she died. It has actions but in the same time is quite moving.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 12:03:10 am by ecorcheur_brokar »
"With great bardiche comes great responsability"
"The wolf doesn't care how many sheeps may be"

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2017, 12:54:47 am »
Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2017, 08:56:49 am »
Oh boy sequels. Well, we'll see.