Author Topic: Sicario  (Read 4995 times)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Sicario
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 01:58:57 am »
So the female character is the opposite of what the femin.azi Mad Max movie was? Sounds good
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 02:33:01 am »
Sounds like it was a case of "expecting Hollywood cliches." It would've been gay if there was some megatwist with Blunt. The way they told the story, showing the audience more and more as Blunt's character gets glued in to what's really happening, was great. The plot was good -- the opposite of a 007 plot, yes, but that was the beauty of it. It has real world relevance, and it asks a question and makes a statement at the same time.

About the plot, how would rate it compared to Breaking Bad (in its entirety)?

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 03:09:40 am »
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2015, 10:51:26 am »
I'm actually not the only one in this thread that didn't seem to see what's so special in this movie over the other thousand crime/drama/action ones. But feel free on replying to anyone disagreeing with your opinion.

But you're the only who didn't even watch it. You can't say anything about a movie if you didn't see it, doesn't make any sense.

Sounds like it was a case of "expecting Hollywood cliches." It would've been gay if there was some megatwist with Blunt. The way they told the story, showing the audience more and more as Blunt's character gets glued in to what's really happening, was great. The plot was good -- the opposite of a 007 plot, yes, but that was the beauty of it. It has real world relevance, and it asks a question and makes a statement at the same time.

Nah, I'm not talking of some plot-twist. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I started watching and was thrilled by the great pictures, good music good acting and then about half-way through it felt something was missing. Maybe it was only some kind of reaction aside despair from Emilys char. But yeah, what is there to do for her? Probably will watch it again in some time, will see if like it better then.

About the plot, how would rate it compared to Breaking Bad (in its entirety)?

Comparison fails on so many levels.

Haven't seen Sicario, but Birdman was a hell of a movie, loved it.

Watched it 3 times already, fucking great.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2015, 10:57:53 am »
I'm actually not the only one in this thread that didn't seem to see what's so special in this movie over the other thousand crime/drama/action ones. But feel free on replying to anyone disagreeing with your opinion.
You didn't even watch the movie. How the fuck would you know what is or isn't special about it? And that isn't even the point, the point is what you said is a complete logical non sequitur. "Oh, Star Wars' plot sounds boring to me. But you might enjoy it if you like romantic comedies, because everything that sounds boring to me is a romantic comedy."

Nah, I'm not talking of some plot-twist. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I started watching and was thrilled by the great pictures, good music good acting and then about half-way through it felt something was missing. Maybe it was only some kind of reaction aside despair from Emilys char. But yeah, what is there to do for her? Probably will watch it again in some time, will see if like it better then.

Emily's character is basically just a vehicle to get the viewer into the plot.

Blunt plays a taking-no-shit government operative called on to assist an investigation to nail a drug lord. She our doppelganger, our stand-in, who ushers us in into the horror of real life, the horror that horror is necessary. Once we are assured of her street worthiness and credibility - and she's plenty badass - we are then introduced to the real star of the film...

It's one of the things I like about the movie, that it doesn't have unbelievable storyline turns where The Underestimated Female With No Experience Turns The Tables And Proves She's An Asset. She's a by-the-book FBI agent, and in her own world a competent and badass one. But where she's going, she pretty much IS a helpless spectator... and that's the point.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 11:03:48 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 11:22:02 am »
Btw did anyone see The Brand New Testament yet? A friend recommended it and it sounds it could be a lot fun... :D

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • Renown: 198
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Deus_Mortis
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 11:31:10 am »
I checked out the trailer, found it having an overused plot nowadays with all these crime/drama/action movies and that's it. I didn't see the point in spending money watching it over other movies.

Why should I watch it if the trailer didn't engage me? You didn't say what makes the movie good other than it's the best movie of 2015 which is an opinion not a fact.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 11:43:09 am »
I checked out the trailer, found it having an overused plot nowadays with all these crime/drama/action movies and that's it. I didn't see the point in spending money watching it over other movies.

Why should I watch it if the trailer didn't engage me? You didn't say what makes the movie good other than it's the best movie of 2015 which is an opinion not a fact.
What are you doing in this thread then? Scientists are baffled. Go post in some other topic that you haven't the faintest clue about, but pls not on SC thread about how making space ships isn't making the game.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 11:54:55 am »
What are you doing in this thread then? Scientists are baffled. Go post in some other topic that you haven't the faintest clue about, but pls not on SC thread about how making space ships isn't making the game.

So you can't come up with a good reason on why it's the best movie of 2015.

Good enough for me.

As for SC, yes it is still a dumb way that may (Will if it succeeds) make other developers ask people for money for boosts before the game even launches.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 12:01:21 pm by Vexus »

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2015, 12:14:13 pm »
So you can't come up with a good reason on why it's the best movie of 2015.

Good enough for me.
Why would I want to convince you it's the best movie of 2015? That's a subjective statement, in the first place.... and in the second place, what do I care what you think? If you want reasons, go here. http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sicario_2015/

As for SC, yes it is still a dumb way that may (Will if it succeeds) make other developers ask people for money for boosts before the game even launches.
lmao, literally the definition of crowdfunding
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2015, 12:42:13 pm »
Maybe, just maybe, the point of creating a thread on a movie is to talk about it? Good and bad you know?

When you start a thread saying it's the best movie of 2015 and any post disagreeing with you, you mock them you clearly care.

Clearly crowd funding now means selling ingame advantages in advance for absurd prices, not about donating to help develop the game.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2015, 12:56:41 pm »
Btw did anyone see The Brand New Testament yet? A friend recommended it and it sounds it could be a lot fun... :D

Haven't seen it yet. Some (many) movies with those guys (Poelvoorde, Damiens) are comedies for retards. I've heard this one is better.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 01:09:53 pm »
Maybe, just maybe, the point of creating a thread on a movie is to talk about it? Good and bad you know? 

Yeah but you can't talk about it because you haven't seen it! What is it about that you don't understand?

Offline Vexus

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2015, 01:18:26 pm »
Yeah but you can't talk about it because you haven't seen it! What is it about that you don't understand?

I didn't see what made this movie so special so I simply said that. The logical response would be to give a reason on why it's the best movie of 2015 and why should I give it a chance and watch it.

Did I really need to say that?

I'm not going to read a review of the movie before watching it. I even try to not watch a trailers nowadays due to spoilers but certain unknown movies require you to do so to know what's about. Tell me why it's good for you and maybe I'll check it out.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2015, 02:44:10 pm »
I didn't see what made this movie so special so I simply said that. The logical response would be to give a reason on why it's the best movie of 2015 and why should I give it a chance and watch it.

No, you said you'd guess it might be for people who like action movies to which Xant replied that it is far from an action movie, which I can confirm.