Author Topic: "You aint no muslim, bruv"  (Read 4126 times)

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
Re: "You aint no muslim, bruv"
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2015, 10:49:39 am »
There has been a harsh polarisation going on in this forum because of recent events. Sides have been forming and every side needs its village idiot for comic relief. One has pepe because of the language barrier and grade school teacher tier naivity. The other has hans.

Don't misinterpret me, I don't think we should kill all muslims... But I also don't think we should love and respect all muslims either. Infact I pretty much think this same way about any group or category of people on the planet.

I think it was dumb that someone yelled "you aint no muslim bruv" at the guy who was violent, as if him being violent proved that he couldn't possibly be a genuine muslim.
There are plenty of violent muslims out there and yes, there are also plenty of non-violent ones too... But trying to pretend that Islam has nothing to do with islamic terrorism is just not helpful.

I'm glad we both value these threads/forums for their comic relief though.  :D

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
+5
If some Christian fundamentalist bombs an abortian clinic and kills a couple of people in the process, then most of us would agree that yelling "You ain't no Christian, mate." would be appropriate. Blowing people to bits contradicts our perception of Christian values. Although Islam is undoubtly based on the shenanigans of some bloody handed sand people warlord instead of a hippie party trick sect leader, many "1moderate" moslems perceive their religion in a similar way. Murder is wrong, live peaceful together with people of other beliefs, try to show that the own religion is best through doing good stuff and making others like you - Lessing's Ring Parable style. I have a Moslem co-worker like that.

That's why they say "You ain't no Muslim.". Because stabbing people contradicts their interpretation of their religion. No matter how historically or theologically sound (Xant and Oberyn are the experts on this) this amateurish interpretation is, I do like it a lot better than if he'd had shouted "You did good, brah. Aim for the kidneys next time tho.".

1 if they exist

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2015, 01:27:48 pm »
I think it was dumb that someone yelled "you aint no muslim bruv" at the guy who was violent, as if him being violent proved that he couldn't possibly be a genuine muslim.

Like Paul said, its very human to disprove people that commited grievous acts, especially when they belong to the same group(s) as you do.
For example, when a random guy goes on a murdering rampage, people will describe him as a "monster", not anymore as a human, even though he clearly is.

The guy who stabbed people is a muslim, but what he did is not acceptable for other muslims, which will now stop considering him as one.

This is simply good old ostracism.

"1moderate" moslems

1 if they exist

Oberyn is muted bruv. You can safely remove this  :P

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2015, 02:15:36 pm »
Oberyn is muted bruv. You can safely remove this  :P

And Heskey. I think we can just let these threads die now!

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2015, 06:28:50 pm »
+1
Not in English, which is what he was purporting to speak.

My guess is that it has to do with the "any" vs "no", where one is a double negative, while the other one serves as the second part of the first negative (like "pas" in French iirc).

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 07:41:42 pm »
You're wrong cuz Turkhammer knows best. Everything. All the time. Always. Forever.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2015, 07:53:41 pm »
If some Christian fundamentalist bombs an abortian clinic and kills a couple of people in the process, then most of us would agree that yelling "You ain't no Christian, mate." would be appropriate. Blowing people to bits contradicts our perception of Christian values. Although Islam is undoubtly based on the shenanigans of some bloody handed sand people warlord instead of a hippie party trick sect leader, many "1moderate" moslems perceive their religion in a similar way. Murder is wrong, live peaceful together with people of other beliefs, try to show that the own religion is best through doing good stuff and making others like you - Lessing's Ring Parable style. I have a Moslem co-worker like that.

That's why they say "You ain't no Muslim.". Because stabbing people contradicts their interpretation of their religion. No matter how historically or theologically sound (Xant and Oberyn are the experts on this) this amateurish interpretation is, I do like it a lot better than if he'd had shouted "You did good, brah. Aim for the kidneys next time tho.".
1 if they exist

The whole notion of "if you don't follow my interpretation of the religion then that invalidates your beliefs" is a ridiculous concept to me... It's probably the same rhetoric being used by ISIS when they murder another muslim. It's an equally ridiculous concept for Christianity or any other religion.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2015, 07:58:33 pm »
You're wrong cuz Turkhammer knows best. Everything. All the time. Always. Forever.

Oh, somebody is butt hurt.  Pull that stick out of your ass.

Correct English does not use the double negative.  Colloquial English or English using "poetic license" does of course.  The latter is what the Rolling Stones' lyrics use.

The comment "You ain't no Muslim bruv" clearly means "You aren't a Muslim even though it is not proper English.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2015, 08:03:31 pm »
+1
The whole notion of "if you don't follow my interpretation of the religion then that invalidates your beliefs" is a ridiculous concept to me... It's probably the same rhetoric being used by ISIS when they murder another muslim. It's an equally ridiculous concept for Christianity or any other religion.

Its not a religious occurence, see my post above please.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2015, 08:18:19 pm »
+1
Its really isnt only religious. It can be national, racial and even cultural. Any form of unification really can be abused by an aggressive leader to turn others under him also aggressive against another unified group. Im pretty sure even if there one day only exsisted one race, nation and culture, we'd still end up murdering people with different eye-or haircolor.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2015, 08:47:30 pm »

1 if they exist

If Muslim = peaceful person then there are Muslim Christians and Muslim atheists. The word itself serves no purpose under that definition.

I would absolutely call someone who bombs an abortion clinic a Christian if that is what that person is. Religion is first of all a belief system and second a set of rituals. As far as I know there is no "excommunication" from Islam for massacring innocents. Hell, there isn't for Catholics either, at least not any recent case that I heard of. In the case of Catholics, God forgives. The Christian guy bombing an abortion clinic is a sinner, but also a Christian.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2015, 09:39:46 pm »
Im pretty sure even if there one day only exsisted one race, nation and culture, we'd still end up murdering people with different eye-or haircolor.

Really not sure about that, since even today lots of people stopped caring about skin color. Different eye/hair color would be a preposterous reason to discriminate against. I think we will erase discrimination as fast as we unite under one banner, so if we become united it will be when there is no more reason to murder each other*.

*no more IMPORTANT reasons  :P

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2015, 10:04:59 pm »
Stopped caring about color in the West you mean. Everywhere else its still racist as fuck.

And people wont ever unite under one banner. The world is too large. Provincial wars inside a massive Empire or wars between 2 nations are still just wars.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2015, 10:19:45 pm »
Really not sure about that, since even today lots of people stopped caring about skin color. Different eye/hair color would be a preposterous reason to discriminate against. I think we will erase discrimination as fast as we unite under one banner, so if we become united it will be when there is no more reason to murder each other*.

*no more IMPORTANT reasons  :P

People will always find a reason to discriminate as long as the distribution of power/resources is "unfair". Its an "us" vs "them" mentality designed to bolster the power within your group. Power and resources always have to trickle down since there just isn't enough to distribute evenly, and all attempts to do so result in a corrupt distribution. We are pack animals, we just wants whats best for ourselves and our families. If you aren't happy with what you have its logical to try to find excuses or reasons why you deserve more than that other group. If we had one country, one culture, one religion (or none) people will still discriminate until they are happy with how much basic resources they have. Its not a coincidence that poor countries have these issues. You might say "Saudi Arabia isn't poor", but the general population is.

I'm kinda trolling, kinda not. I wonder if Oberyn is writing a word document to address everything
If you have ranged troubles use this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2015, 10:47:53 pm »
We behave like tribal oversized chimps because we are tribal oversized chimps. We are so sensitive to identity that we get all emotional about football teams, for fuck's sake. It has nothing to do with resources and everything to do with human, or rather chimp, nature.