Author Topic: Admin Abuse?  (Read 2001 times)

Offline Horns_Archive

• Earl
  • Renown: 439
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Admin Abuse?
« on: October 03, 2015, 06:56:48 pm »
+10
This post is not necessarily for everyone on this forum but mostly directed at the admins/people of authority. I was in TS with Jaren last night when he said he got banned when he wasn't in game. He posted in the Ban section about it and here is that post: http://forum.melee.org/na-%28official%29/banned-que/.

Apparently he had been shit posting in a ban thread here: http://forum.melee.org/na-%28official%29/ban-request-for-aldo_thedandydiddler-cairo-testicleez-ogerp-kennyfuckingpowe/ and got banned by Froyo for teamkilling.

In a reply from the above ban thread Froyo says that "Spam posters will be banned for obstruction of justice." Now my question is: why does Froyo get the authority to ban someone in game by just saying so on the forums? The rule Jaren broke was: "Do not post unless you have something case related to say. No spam allowed." The only info about punishment for spam is: "Failure to follow the above rules may result in a forum mute." Nowhere does it say there is any punishment that will be given in game.

I agree that shit posting in the ban section is stupid and can prevent the ban from being dealt with but that is why admins can Mute people. In this case he didn't even mute Jaren or give him a warning on the forum. He just banned him in game. If you start banning people in game for things they do/say on the forums no one is going to be able to play. I know this community is a monarchy and admins can do whatever they want but this just seems a bit too ridiculous to let it pass.

So my question is to the all the admins out there: Was this a justifiable ban? Please note that I am not complaining as much as I am curious about other admins opinions.
Before I drop the mic I just want to say that I think Froyo is a very good admin.This one instance does not define who he is as an admin but something needed to be said.

(click to show/hide)

TL;DR = underlined

Offline Austrian

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1117
  • Infamy: 126
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Bro's are Bro's, forever.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Brotherhood
  • Game nicks: Austriano, Faust, Nestea
Re: Admin Abuse?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:41 pm »
+4
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 07:02:35 pm »
+4
Forum stuff does not = in game punishment.

Said so by Devs.

Offline Jaren

• Earl
  • Renown: 303
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 07:36:05 pm »
Thanks for the support.

24hr and my first in-game ban over forum posting really rustled my jimmies.

I attempted to reach out to quite a few admins and I'd like to thank the few that actually responded.
But this unwritten rule that other admins can't effect other admins bans is... Well, horse shit.

Been a part of the community for years... If I know how to do your role better then yourself, just stahp.
Or at least acknowledge your actions with me in messages provide adequate reasoning's and work with me to any degree but, this is the internet, accountability with power means... What?

Hate to keep stirring the pot but, my ban continues.

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 07:39:32 pm »
+6
There is nothing more pathetic than people who intentionally grief/harass because they expect a punishment that they personally do not consider as bothering, then show the impudence of daring to complain when the punishment actually comes out harsher than they thought. Spamming bansection is forbidden, everyone knows it, people still do it. The logical thing to assume is that more severe consequences are needed in order to make people understand.

Thats just my personal opinion though.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2015, 07:47:03 pm »
There is nothing more pathetic than people who intentionally grief/harass because they expect a punishment that they personally do not consider as bothering, then show the impudence of daring to complain when the punishment actually comes out harsher than they thought. Spamming bansection is forbidden, everyone knows it, people still do it. The logical thing to assume is that more severe consequences are needed in order to make people understand.

Thats just my personal opinion though.

And that's why we have Forum mods. They remove those posts and mute people on forums for infractions. In game admins do not have that right.
http://forum.melee.org/na-(official)/little-reminder-44873/msg707677/#msg707677

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2015, 07:55:21 pm »
+1
And that's why we have Forum mods. They remove those posts and mute people on forums for infractions. In game admins do not have that right.
http://forum.melee.org/na-(official)/little-reminder-44873/msg707677/#msg707677

True, we have mods, mutes are also constantly being issued for spamming banthreads. It just appears that nobody really gives a damn about a forum mute, thats why the spamming keeps happening.

As I said, that was just my personal opinion. The mentality I spoke of is basically the same as these guys in those prank videos that are bothering people in the most obnoxious ways and then act all surprised when somebody punches them in the face.

It doesnt make the decision right of course but morally I can see where froyo is comming from, thats all I meant to say.

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2015, 07:58:46 pm »
Then lets go ahead and do it from now on to everyone

Offline Jaren

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2015, 08:08:42 pm »
True, we have mods, mutes are also constantly being issued for spamming banthreads. It just appears that nobody really gives a damn about a forum mute, thats why the spamming keeps happening.

As I said, that was just my personal opinion. The mentality I spoke of is basically the same as these guys in those prank videos that are bothering people in the most obnoxious ways and then act all surprised when somebody punches them in the face.

It doesnt make the decision right of course but morally I can see where froyo is comming from, thats all I meant to say.

I enjoy this pristine outlook on this community where posting 2 pictures is obnoxious and punishable by in-game bans.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015, 08:12:34 pm »
+3
I suggest the 'admin feedback' thread for subjects like these.

If you have a forum problem, make a forum report.

If you have an in-game problem, make a ban request post and use the template provided in the section. The date/time bits are of particular importance.

Offline Jaren

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 08:13:55 pm »

If you have a forum problem, make a forum report.

If you have an in-game problem, make a ban request post and use the template provided in the section. The date/time bits are of particular importance.

Thank you Kalam, I've gone the routes necessary with very little feedback.
I'm not going to shame Horns for sticking up for me when something does indeed seem fucky.

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 08:18:17 pm »
+3
Apparently he had been shit posting in a ban thread

This section is for ban/unban requests, everything else will be considered spam and sanctioned accordingly. Repeat offenders will be banned in-game as well.

In your defence, that section is only posted in (EU) part of unban requests, so you may have missed that. And yes, it's the first time I see it invoked by someone else than the devs, but it is justified and useful against repeat offenders and people who don't know when to shut up. :)

A very fun rule, I'll remember about it next time when I think of reporting an annoying spammer from a ban thread.
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Jaren

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 08:23:21 pm »
In your defence, that section is only posted in (EU) part of unban requests, so you may have missed that. And yes, it's the first time I see it invoked by someone else than the devs, but it is justified and useful against repeat offenders and people who don't know when to shut up. :)

A very fun rule, I'll remember about it next time when I think of reporting an annoying spammer from a ban thread.

I'd love to throw myself under the 'repeat offenders' bus but, I'm rarely on the forums... And it was 2 pictures, no words.

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 08:26:59 pm »
I'd love to throw myself under the 'repeat offenders' bus but, I'm rarely on the forums. This action seems too harsh of a punishment for someone with as little forum activity as I've had lately.

I guess that is up to Froyo to decide :?
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline mcdeath

• Marshall
  • Renown: 797
  • Infamy: 349
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 08:36:42 pm »
+3

As if these threads aren't just massive circle jerks that have no actual feedback
McDeath: This guy doesn't shut his lip, but he's one of the funniest players in-game.