Author Topic: Age of Decadence - Post Apocalyptic Roman Empire RPG  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 266
  • Infamy: 1161
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Decadence - Post Apocalyptic Roman Empire RPG
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2015, 11:14:22 pm »
already on it... dis games gud :D

edit: its full of treacherous bastards, reminds me of see-ar-pi-gee

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2015, 11:34:30 pm »
Oh wow, I remember playing a demo for this game a couple years ago and having a blast. I'll download the new demo and give it a shot, I recall the combat being challenging
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 01:50:19 pm »
Now this is why I visit these forums. Never heard of it before, played it and it is solid, son.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Renown: 870
  • Infamy: 71
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pixel Paladins
  • Game nicks: Cock_Blockula Kunt_Blockula Daunt_Flockula
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »
Initially I was psyched about this game. That was until I read one of the positive reviews, which basically said you can't become a jack of all trades due to the limited character points you are able to get throughout the game. And it went on to add that you'd have hard time without strictly following one of the specific character development paths anyway. The player who wrote the review even said that he learned that the hard way by not focusing much on a single class and eventually got locked out of progress.

Now this sucks dinosaur balls. Why make a game that pays homeage to the original Fallout, but throttle the character so that he can't have enough of a choice as to what he wants to become? Yeah, it boils down to freedom again. I think at this time and age, freedom in a game is all that matters to me. It's a pity that not all developers care that much about it nowadays.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1429
  • Infamy: 2823
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 08:34:51 pm »
You can't be jack of all trades in old Fallout or any other classic cRPG. Jack of all trades crap came with Elder Scrolls series where you can level everything to the max. Whole idea of RPG is to pick a role and stick with it, not to be one size fits everything type of character. Having limited points to assign to abilities and skills is one of cornerstones of RPG genre.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 08:50:19 pm »
Indeed you could. I am not talking about maxing everything out, but being able to multiclass without breaking your own ability to make progress. I'd almost always go for the stealth bastard+powerhouse+energy and small weapons master path for example. However, the way that AoD review was written, it sounds nearly gamebreaking for you to be more than 1 thing at a time.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 934
  • Infamy: 274
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 09:59:07 pm »
Because it is game-breaking in any game that isn't meant for idiots to play. You can choose mixed character but no one will guarantee you'll be able to progress with such character. Not every build works well in RPG.

As for review itself, sounds like it is written by some kid who only played Skyrim. Steam review sections is full of similar reviews.

Just like Dark Souls or Arcanum or some other quality RPG, this isn't game for everyone. If you're into Elder Scrolls kind of RPG, maybe its better to avoid it.

Even Diablo makes it clear to you that by choosing Sorceress you won't be good in melee. Yes, you can put points in STR and VIT, but will you be able to beat the game at higher diff. levels? I don't think so. Talking about first two games in Diablo series, not this modern lemonade for idiots.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 10:01:20 pm »
Yeah, yeah, casual games versus hardcore classical rpgs and shit... Not for everyone etc.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 577
  • Infamy: 1597
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 12:23:10 am »
Exactly :wink:

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 03:37:45 am »
I don't think there's a problem with multi classing in AoD but you'll really main in one thing and maybe have backup skills. Like being really good with sword and shield and a small bonus to your ability to trade. That's probably the best it'll get. Guess that's not really multi classing.

Because you can get through the game maining a merchant that has never used a weapon before. That's cool. Almost every rpg has you playing a warrior in some form in order to progress through the story. So that's different from the norm these days.

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2015, 11:06:54 am »
+2
Yeah, yeah, casual games versus hardcore classical rpgs and shit... Not for everyone etc.

I kinda like it. It creates a lot of replay value, because whatever path you sticked to, works(I think, I...hope, in theory should), always revealing a new story or situation with every playtrough with different characters.

Honestly the Elder scrolls lvl 100 everything by the end is complete bullshit and creates no tension at all. But I see your point. This game is a little bit too unforgiving with sparing you points and its damn near impossible to not get locked out, but hopefully it will be ironed out one day. Hav a difficulty setting or something. I dont find too hardcore enjoyable.

Offline Duster

• Marshall
  • Renown: 730
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Mr_Pibb, Mellow_Yellowtf
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2015, 12:07:00 pm »
Just got to the second town, I am roleplaying a conniving jew merchant. The game is quite fun if you avoid the combat system, which I found incredibly difficult and random.

Offline Daunt_Flockula

• Marshall
  • Step aside peasants!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2015, 12:17:34 pm »
I don't think there's a problem with multi classing in AoD but you'll really main in one thing and maybe have backup skills. Like being really good with sword and shield and a small bonus to your ability to trade. That's probably the best it'll get. Guess that's not really multi classing.

Because you can get through the game maining a merchant that has never used a weapon before. That's cool. Almost every rpg has you playing a warrior in some form in order to progress through the story. So that's different from the norm these days.

Understandable, but they could at least offer at least as much as the example they are following, which is Fallout. I am totally alright with, say, being a good shield and sword warrior but never becoming a good bowman. Yet I am still after that jack-of-all sensation. By definition, it means "a bit of multiple things", and not necessarily seizably much of a number of them. Who wouldn't like to be a good melee or ranged warrior but at the same time spend some time every now and then in the town to pick locks and pockets, for example? I still remember picking 1 gold at a time from a guy with 100 or even more gold just to get more jolly exp. out of the process in Fallout xD

I just don't like the "stick to this road that I am pointing you to; or else you will end up underpowered sooner or later" approach. A game should allow you to enjoy more than one aspect of it without necessarily punishing you for doing so.

Offline WarLord

• Earl
  • Renown: 354
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »
In.  :mrgreen:

Offline Tibe

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 03:35:00 pm »
Lol I gave up like a pussy and just used a trainer to get skillpoints. 2 hrdcore 4 me  :lol:

No, it wasnt about hardcore. It actually just pains me so much that how little 1 character does. The deal is imo that when you go to another town, its basically the "pass time" action. Which means all events and quests you didnt do will autoresolve and the events will unfold without you. And the amount of events you simply cant do with 1 playthrough is close to 95%. In its main theme the game is basically all about you picking the correct events, which you can do and try to not jump in the ones you probably wouldnt come out alive from. There isnt even any questions about builds or skillpoint distibutions that have a point. You just go for 1-3 things to (almost) max out, pick situations you think those skills could come in handy and thats it.

Im not saying its bad, its just not what im used to in games. Again, i would have liked a difficulty setting. :?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 03:40:47 pm by Tibe »