Author Topic: Arrows and shields?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
Arrows and shields?
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:01:49 am »
Can someone explain to me what speed rating on shields mean exactly? And resistance? Do resistance points affect health of shields?

Can arrows pierce shields and hit you?

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
Re: Arrows and shields?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:08:48 am »
Can someone explain to me what speed rating on shields mean exactly? And resistance? Do resistance points affect health of shields?

Can arrows pierce shields and hit you?

Speed rating on a shield determines how quickly you can raise your shield up to block after you hit the RMB.  Someone did a test earlier and shield speed has no impact on your weapon's swing speed.  Think of resistance being to a shield what your armor rating is to you.  A high resistance rating reduces the damage weapons do to your shield.  Keep in mind that weapons that have a bonus against shields, like axes, will do more damage to your shield.  The health of shields is the amount of "hitpoints" a shield can take before being destroyed.  No, arrows cannot pierce shields (xbows used to be able to, but can't anymore).  However, the smaller the shield the easier it is for archers to hit you in the side or below the shield where you are not being protected by the shield (they should always be able to shoot you in the back).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:12:43 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline PieParadox

• Count
  • Renown: 219
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: PieParadox
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:24:38 am »
I was slightly confused because today I took two arrows to my 200 dollar shield and they stuck in the shield. I was hit by a warbow and I was wearing RUS scale armour.. and somehow half my health was gone... Graphical glitch maybe?

Also, do all 2 hand weapons block at the same speed or are unbalanced weapons slower at blocking? Thanks
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 12:30:28 am by PieParadox »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:06:58 am »
I was slightly confused because today I took two arrows to my 200 dollar shield and they stuck in the shield. I was hit by a warbow and I was wearing RUS scale armour.. and somehow half my health was gone... Graphical glitch maybe?

Also, do all 2 hand weapons block at the same speed or are unbalanced weapons slower at blocking? Thanks

Yes, arrows stick in shields when they hit.  Those arrows didn't hit you, youw ere hit by another arrow from the side or above or below your cheap shield's protection radius (they tend to be smaller areas of coverage).  The half your health is either because it was a longbow arrow, a xbow bolt, you have no ironflesh and only average strength so you take bigger percentage damage from arrow hits, or the archer has higher than normal powerdraw using a non-longbow. 

Block speed is based on your weapon's speed and your weapon proficiency.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 03:29:31 pm »
Block speed is based on your weapon's speed and your weapon proficiency.
Manual blocks speed are always the same.
unbalanced weapons slower at blocking?
Unbalanced means slower feints and harder to stop youre strike or change it to block.