Author Topic: 360/180 degrees or wtv polearm stabs  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
360/180 degrees or wtv polearm stabs
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »
Is this an issue with the game mecanism itself or can it be fixed in the mod? I'm just tired of facehugging ppl while dueling a polearm poker and being stab-spammed by ppl doing some "turn-lol-o-stab" or being stabbed while the piercing end of the weapon model (like the pike or wtv pokin weapon) was behind me. I'v been poked like this trough trees, corners of building and even other players (ennemy stabbed me trough his teamate) too much times.

Is there  a way Devs could fix this ridiculous, game breakin bug?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 09:42:00 pm by Siboire »

Offline Deadlysiins

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hosptailler
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Deadlysiins, Annoying_Crossbro, KK_AsianPursuation
Re: 360/180 degrees or wtv polearm stabs
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:39:53 pm »
Unfortunately no, unless you want to see glances every time someone pokes/thrust at something. It could get annoying but its also one aspect of the game. Stabbing through scenery, players, ect i agree is cheap, but i dont think they can fix this with the coding and all
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 09:43:32 pm »
And about "turn-lol-stabs" ?

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:00:19 pm »
I'm pretty sure that's just how hit detection works in Warband, AFAIK it can't be changed by reworking animations.
Don't.

Offline Deadlysiins

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hosptailler
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Deadlysiins, Annoying_Crossbro, KK_AsianPursuation
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 10:01:47 pm »
Yeah the lol-turn-stab cant be fixed too sadly ^

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2011, 10:06:00 pm »
great....

Offline Kharn

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Khergit
  • Game nicks: Kharn, Oneshot_Mcgee, Flash
  • IRC nick: Kharn
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2011, 10:11:14 pm »
Pikes and other really long pole arms weigh over 60 pounds. (according to some pike weight website I just went to)

I think the core problem here is that people use them in face to face combat in the first place.

We could add unbalanced too them to fix this.

I think its reasonable to remove the ability to cancel an attack midway through and block.

(If it were me I would increase the damage a lot, lower the speed a lot and add unbalanced)
If your name is on either of these 2 lists: http://goo.gl/0SEqf -- http://goo.gl/I3SFf
And you want to be on youtube dueling famous fighters. Add imkharn to steam.
To see existing videos go here: http://www.youtube.com/user/imkharn

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 10:21:38 pm »
Pikes and other really long pole arms weigh over 60 pounds. (according to some pike weight website I just went to)

rofl

give me a link to this shitty web site.
Also make sure ur not talking about hoplite equipment
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 10:23:46 pm by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 10:41:14 pm »

LOL. No one is going to carry around a 60 lb pole. According to a book I have, a pike was about 18 feet long and weighed about 14 lbs. Makes sense.

I totally agree with making pikes and the long spear unbalanced though.

Offline Patricia

• Baron
  • Renown: 108
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 11:12:27 pm »
I say every lances become couch only and we remove the pikes/long spears.

The engine is shit at handling any weapon over 160 reach it seems, so by removing the thrust on horse, pikes and long spears wouldn't be needed anymore to kill a cav as a couching cav is relatively easy to kill if you know what you're doing, and then that would rid us of the stupid long reach weapons breaking the engine.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 11:15:54 pm »

The engine is shit at handling any weapon over 160 reach it seems, so by removing the thrust on horse, pikes and long spears wouldn't be needed anymore to kill a cav as a couching cav is relatively easy to kill if you know what you're doing, and then that would rid us of the stupid long reach weapons breaking the engine.

Prepare to get lynched by the Heavy Lance Army.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 11:17:22 pm »

So you would want a horse to become easy to kill? Would this also include a reduction of prices then for the horses, or would the sword/axe cav become acceptable replacements?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 11:18:03 pm »
Removing thrust on horse would be like nearly removing cavalry, it would be no fun at all to play cav then.  (atleast lancing cav)

However, I have a question about this "turn-lol-o-stab". How does one do it? Can someone explain what someone is doing when performing a "turn-lol-o-stab"? (im not planning on using it myself, but Im just curious to understand the problem)

Offline Quallen

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kill Cult
  • Game nicks: KC_Quallen
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 12:01:18 am »
Well spin stabs aren't really any more or less dumb than people swinging their weapons into the ground (because there is no collision with it) to make them harder to see and otherwise get swings off when they shouldn't be able to.

Not sure what you could do to fix spinning pikes that wouldn't totally break gameplay for shield + spear guys or other thrusting weapons.

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 01:25:12 am »
It's very annoying to try stabbing past a teammate and have it kill them despite the fact that it really shouldn't, or killing a teammate next to you because you were standing too close when you were stabbing. From what I can understand, the end of the weapon typically has collision while the rest of it doesn't seem to as much, so you can stab "around" a teammate or a wall even if you are directly behind it. I think that the more you turn the stab the more likely it is to bounce, though.

The 180 stabs as far as I know are not really 180 stabs, but people chambering an attack, turning around, and THEN stabbing, not stabbing then turning around. They work because of the weirdass hit detection. If you are on terrain (not on an object such as a castle wall or something) people can stab into the ground, then aim upwards so the weapon connects with you and deals damage since the weapon has some velocity (if they stabbed directly at you it would immediately bounce and stun them for 3 seconds or so). I don't understand it completely though, since as mentioned before, you can be standing next to a teammate and have the part near where you are holding the weapon completely decimate them, yet overhead swings tend not to hit them at all (except on the backswing, where it will rape the shit out of them, yet only mildly annoy enemies)

What I usually do if I want to stab past something is stab to up upper right, then bring it down past the obstacle. It's mainly since there's only one stab animation, you can't stab from anywhere above your waist, making it hard to naturally stab over things you normally would be able to.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 01:26:54 am by OzyTheSage »