Author Topic: Kids becoming dumber  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
Re: Kids becoming dumber
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2015, 12:48:07 am »
+1
I became dumber playing EU1 battle shitlord gankfest mode. Dear devs, pls apply the new map rotation made by Teeth, so some people could play siege (and not conquest) again. Thank you.

Please stay on EU1, I need the easy kills.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2015, 02:02:35 am »
No, it's nothing like that. You're completely avoiding my question and your answer has nothing to do with anything. Okay, you're generalizing, so what? What is the point of your "generalization"? How is it similar to what I said? I provide a reason for why kids are having a harder time writing properly, you provide nothing but a straw man about old people not liking how 80s people looked.
This is argument by assertion and you provide no reasoning to back it up, only circular logic.

The thing is that you´re just making assumptions based on observations or guessings. With my generalization I was pointing at you generalizing things. You can´t just say that all the kids are getting dumber, using iphones yadda yadda, but I think you rather mean "most of the children" and not all of em. Alright, I´ll try it again

Instead of reading a book, they'll play a simple phone game that initiates a positive loop in their monkey brain but stimulates their thinking not at all.
The average child (I repeat, average child) doesn´t really read books, maybe rather comics. Instead of watching TV a lot, they now toy around with tablets and smart phones. I have no idea yet if that is better or worse for them, since they´re now able to decide what kind of stuff they want to spend their time into. Could change to the better or the worse.

Instead of learning to write properly, they use lol txt chat in Whatsapp as their primary means of communication.
This could actually become a problem, but it´s simply too early to fall to conclusions yet. We´ll have to wait and see if this affects the kids in their grammar and spelling.

They can't even use computers because they're so used to just pressing buttons without understanding what goes on in the background
that´s why there´s stuff coming up like win8: it´s for "casual pc users". I know a lot of people who barely work with the pc and that´s why they can´t really get along with it. For people like us who use the pc nearly everyday it´s a trivial thing, but "casual users" can have a really hard time figuring their system out. So having an OS which is simple and similar to smartphones or tablets makes their work with it easier, they don´t necessarily have to understand it, they only want to know how to work with it and that´s it. Think of it like a car owner who wants a car because he wants to drive with it, but isn´t really interested in repairing all by himself (excessively spoken of course). They just use it for basic functions, not like an advanced working system like we do.

Just the same, I was glad when, for his senior year, Jake proposed taking an English course at the local community college. Come September, he and a buddy drove to the college every Monday night and sat for three hours in English 101 — where they never once read a book. They watched movies instead.
And that´s just a shitty school :D

In the end, it´s just an article based on one single study. Heck, we also have plenty of studies going on here at our college and 300-500 participants are normal (mostly questionnaires, but often also field tests and voluntary experiments).

I´d get nervous if there were quite a couple of studies saying nearly the same thing, but this article is simply here to incense people and sell the news. One study doesn´t really rattle my bones. And that second article of that mother talking about kids in general also isn´t really scientific, but more opinion- and observation-based. Even the people in the commet section are mostly calling her statements nonsense.

tl;dr: Don´t rely on or trust articles which are based on only one or two sources or even simply the authors opinion; you might have a point with your statements, but won´t really be able to defend them without having enough proof in your hands.

I really hope this didn´t turn out too rude here :/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:06:42 am by Ikarus »

Offline cup457

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RavenR_cup457
  • IRC nick: cup457
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2015, 06:27:49 am »
Shitty schooling combined with our culture has definitely contributed to many children being less educated, if not less intelligent. In America that vast majority of children do not respect teachers. Some (mostly ghetto kids) outright hate teachers. Very few teachers in my high school could actually control their students, and it was usually male teachers(i guess its the alpha male thing.) Even in high school many english teachers are still teaching kids how to write complete sentences. MY freshman class was over 550 people and a little over 300 actually graduated, only ~130? of which had above a 3.0 gpa weighted. Most kids, even the ones that didnt act up, just kind of went to school and did the least required(this was me) just to get by because the school is closer to a jail than anything else. I had terrible grammar until junior year, and only because i made the mistake of taking an AP english class, i actually learned proper grammar. So if I need to I can write with mostly good grammar, but it makes me type slow as shit because i am so used to typing like an autist(thanks crpg). I do not think kinds nowadays are less able to learn than any other generation and that it is more of the fault of our culture or society. Now in America its thanks to our opulence and dying nation, and probably won't be fixed until our country dies.
 As for the reading, I believe that if you read "challenging" or at least non "pop" (Read: 50 shades of grey tier) you can at least learn vocabulary or about the topic of the book. The last really challenging (essay?) I read was "The law" by  frederick bastiat. This was about two years ago. Ever since I graduated and started working I've found it harder and harder to read. Ive tried to read books on how to rebuilding engines and transmissions but everytime I start to read I feel an intense boredom. I dont know if its video games or im just lazy but I have definitely stopped reading for education
CUP CLAN BEST CLAN
Okay, I need your protection, your love. :P

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2015, 07:03:57 am »
Nah, that's not true. Books, and especially books for very young children that you read to them are very healthy for your brain because you automatically start using your imagination.

Absolutely everything you do influences very young children.

I totally agree sure, at young age its true, books play a positive influence, but at some point most books wont. The reason im even debating is because I dont understand the general logic of books = smarts and imagination. Which, when I look at from my viewpoint is completely fucking false. Books do improve your mind, but only certain books, definately not most of them. My old schools principal couldnt keep repeating that enough. In my class the dumbest prick was somehow also the biggest bookworm. The ones who studied the most obviously got the best grades and the guys who basically got around a lot, had a lot of colorful people as friends, did a lot of different shitty summerjobs etc, had the best minds, that grasped logic with no effort whatsover. And they never read a single book. Now if they would have read a book once in a while, they would have been even smarter.

But they were already smart, because they got around a lot, from very young age and not sitting on their asses at home. Sitting in their moms basements playing CS. Obviously the kids are stupid as fuck these days when they live in basements and only look up facts when they need to win an internetargument. Also its the schoolsystems too. Back in the old days, if the teacher said your child is a prick, the parents respected the teachers word took their child home and wooped his ass. Now, teachers get no respect and the parents automatically shift all the blame on them, so obviously they dont feel the motivation to teach anymore either.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 07:07:57 am by Tibe »

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2015, 08:53:25 am »
+3
the guys who basically got around a lot, had a lot of colorful people as friends, did a lot of different shitty summerjobs etc, had the best minds

are you trying to say I should've hanged out with the coloreds visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2015, 09:19:24 am »
+2
"Kids becoming dumber"

The OP is a prime example of that 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:24:19 am by Prpavi »
And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2015, 10:13:55 am »
Absolutely everything you do influences very young children.

I totally agree sure, at young age its true, books play a positive influence, but at some point most books wont. The reason im even debating is because I dont understand the general logic of books = smarts and imagination. Which, when I look at from my viewpoint is completely fucking false. Books do improve your mind, but only certain books, definately not most of them. My old schools principal couldnt keep repeating that enough. In my class the dumbest prick was somehow also the biggest bookworm. The ones who studied the most obviously got the best grades and the guys who basically got around a lot, had a lot of colorful people as friends, did a lot of different shitty summerjobs etc, had the best minds, that grasped logic with no effort whatsover. And they never read a single book. Now if they would have read a book once in a while, they would have been even smarter.

Of course there are always individual examples of people that don't read books but are smarter than people who do. And yeah, of course it makes a difference if the book is written by Markus Heitz or by Hermann Hesse. But reading a halfway good written novel definitely is a good thing to do. I'm surprised myself everytime again I manage to do it again, it just makes you think go check it out.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2015, 01:02:39 pm »
+4
"Kids becoming dumber"

The OP is a prime example of that
Your mother is a prime example.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2015, 01:41:50 pm »

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2015, 05:19:50 pm »

I really regret now putting so much effort into a Xant thread

meh.

I´ll keep that in mind

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2015, 05:20:52 pm »
I really regret now putting so much effort into a Xant thread

meh.

I´ll keep that in mind
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2015, 05:33:58 pm »
+1

Incorrect, my mother is 54.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2015, 05:39:55 pm »
Incorrect, my mother is 54.
That's funny, because the prime number I was thinking of when I wrote that was 53.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2015, 05:42:02 pm »
That's funny, because the prime number I was thinking of when I wrote that was 53.

53 is a prime age man. Goes downhill from there.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2015, 06:40:55 pm »
+1
Those kids are geniuses compared to us, playing a dead mod.

even the wisest man may fall to satan's sweet lure

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far