Author Topic: HDD Trouble  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
HDD Trouble
« on: August 29, 2015, 07:51:13 pm »
I have 60gb SSD with windows 7 x64 installed on it. IT shows 55gb are used but I can only find around 30gb. Where are these hidden files and can I remove them?
Jackson And No Bank

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
Re: HDD Trouble
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 01:01:29 am »
Well a 60 gb sdd is bullshit. Buy a new one with about 200 and play ur games on then new one! (Should be about 20 €). Ordinary ur browsers and win constantly produce hidden files! U should download a prgrM which deletes those files, dunno really know one cuz I got 3 different HDDs. A little one for old pictures and old files! A 300 gb for videos\movies and all the game files which I do not use atm. And a 500 gb one for all my games and win7 :3

Btw: what I have noticed is that whwn u go higher than 80 % usage ur pc becomes EXTREMELY slow. Dunno use more than 60 of the hdd with ur system(win7)!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:04:49 am by BlackxBird »

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 10:49:01 am »
If it's only your boot drive make an image of windows 10 on the other drive and format it?

Also get a 1TB SSD like me.

Offline Zeltino

• Baron
  • Renown: 149
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:51:27 pm »
+1
why would anyone need a 1tb ssd

Offline BlackxBird

• Duke
  • Renown: 546
  • Infamy: 228
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 01:54:39 pm »
+1
for.... some kind of.... movies....

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 02:18:33 am »

Btw: what I have noticed is that whwn u go higher than 80 % usage ur pc becomes EXTREMELY slow. Dunno use more than 60 of the hdd with ur system(win7)!!
This does not effect SSD.

Jackson And No Bank

Offline Kadeth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 845
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:21:03 am »
+1
https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

This is a nice little free program for working out what's using all your disk space.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:02:58 am »
This does not effect modernSSD.
FTFY.
60GB SSD sounds by its size like an older modell and might actually still have that issue.

About the 60GB in general: Due to the way SSDs access/allocate the data, they reserve a hardcoded part of the capacity for themselves, not allowing user access to it. So, whatever capacity is advertized for the SSD, it's normally somewhere between 5-20% less. Keep that in mind.
I believe there was something about block sizes and SSDs meaning that a big file takes more physical space than the size actually would suggest but I can't remember anymore and I am too lazy to re-read it :P

One last suggestion:
If you're running a legit copy of windows 7... Switch to windows 10. It's smaller by a good margin and at least as good as Windows 7.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 01:18:33 pm »
why would anyone need a 1tb ssd
Cos I don't like loading times on games. And nor do I like waiting for the games to download. Therefore all my games are on one big, epic SSD.

Offline Ubereem

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 11:05:43 pm »
FTFY.
60GB SSD sounds by its size like an older modell and might actually still have that issue.

About the 60GB in general: Due to the way SSDs access/allocate the data, they reserve a hardcoded part of the capacity for themselves, not allowing user access to it. So, whatever capacity is advertized for the SSD, it's normally somewhere between 5-20% less. Keep that in mind.
I believe there was something about block sizes and SSDs meaning that a big file takes more physical space than the size actually would suggest but I can't remember anymore and I am too lazy to re-read it :P

One last suggestion:
If you're running a legit copy of windows 7... Switch to windows 10. It's smaller by a good margin and at least as good as Windows 7.
For real get W10? I heard people were dogging it. Also what about the future when I want to upgrade this pos 60gb SSD?
Jackson And No Bank