Author Topic: Esports is massive... and growing  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 932
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Esports is massive... and growing
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2015, 12:26:57 am »
To me, e-sports is very similar to poker tournaments. Similar people are contestants, everything is run by some shady dudes like in poker world and people who watch one thing usually watch the other too.

Not saying physical sports are better, they became shady as fuck and pretty much only purpose for those competitions going on is money laundering through betting. But physical sport had noble roots, universities started the whole thing, even back to Ancient Greece. E-sports has been organized when it became largely popular by shady folks, universities and healthy institutions didn't help it grow. Maybe because there is no positive health effects from playing video games, and that was the main reason why universities embraced traditional sports, to improve health of their students.

Offline YnScN

• Count
  • Renown: 261
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: YnScN
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2015, 12:48:04 am »
+2
But physical sport had noble roots, universities started the whole thing, even back to Ancient Greece.

Dude they just didn't have computers so they thought running fast is a good idea to kill spare time.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2015, 01:27:55 am »
+6
Dude they just didn't have computers so they thought running fast is a good idea to kill spare time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 03:59:06 am »
Wow Esports, so impressive, such a display of physical skill and control.

Brb gonna go fuck my Egirlfriend, need tissues to clean the disk tray after

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 06:18:39 pm »
They should def call it something else than e-sport tbh. I just like disagreeing with Heskey because I'm a professional contrarian, but there's something to the word sport "glorifying" professional gaming as something it is not. Not sure why the label e-sport should stick,  it's not a very accurate one, except for the e part. No one calls chess a "mind sport" in common parlance. Professional gaming sounds good enough to me. E-sport sounds like the brainchild of some marketing department team.

"Professional Gaming" is much too vague. It describes all sports, board games, video games etc. played professionally.

On the contrary, I think e-sports is a better term because it's accurate. If a layman reads that word for the first time chances are he won't try to make assumptions.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2016, 09:38:27 am »
+1
Slight necro, but relevant.

It seems that football clubs have started entering the e-sports scene 8-)

Manchester United Football Club and Fnatic have entered a bidding war, with both organizations looking to sign the same Overwatch team

Manchester United would not be the first major soccer brand to get involved in esports. German soccer team FC Schalke 04 recently signed the EU LCS roster formerly known as Elements, Valencia CF signed four Hearthstone players and West Ham United has signed a FIFA 16 player.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2016, 11:39:14 am »

Thats pretty cool.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2016, 01:32:21 pm »
+1

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2016, 01:49:10 pm »
+2

Uh not sure I want to watch one hour of this when 3/4 of the comments are calling this reporter shit and that he has a condenscending attitude towards esports/gamers.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2016, 02:14:00 pm »
+3
Vice has gone downhill really quickly. Any of the good stuff left is burried under a mountain of Gawker like clickbait.

Offline Casul

• King
  • Renown: 1010
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • I like animals
    • View Profile
  • Faction: plate goons club, Krems
  • Game nicks: Cassi, Antarctica
  • IRC nick: Cassi
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2016, 02:58:13 pm »
+1

puked after only 1 min, anyone can top this?
Maybe if Coronoa virus gets rid of 50 percent or more of the world population we can do without a pope and religion.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2016, 03:25:22 pm »
I watched it as a freak show. The production and presentation is horrible, as are many of the people interviewed, the whole program reminded me that large sectors of gaming culture has transformed into something I don't like and don't want anything to do with, as celebrity culture in general. This it documents pretty well.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 05:55:26 pm by Angantyr »

Offline Admerius

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Many Admerius-es and many alts(Total of 32 chars)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereignty of Aegis for life!(aka. multi-claning)
  • Game nicks: My top three nicks: Scum, William_Spearshake, Dedrater)
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 04:23:34 pm »
+2
Computer gaming has some physical aspects apart from muscle memory and other non-conscious imprinted reflex responses.

Personal anecdote of the positive traits I gained from gaming:
Right hand: Improved short distance movement precision, index and middle finger mouse click speed is faster(thumb only slightly affected since I was a poor 3-button mouse owner in my early years)
Left hand: Button clicking speed which is quicker but less precise than the right hand's mouse clicking speed.

These are physical traits(muscle and nerve efficiency in the hands), it is not exclusively brain-wiring that fires neural impulses in a conditioned manner, there are real physical traits that has been trained on top of that.

My opinion on the whole E-Sports thing has much more to do with linguistics:
The S in Sports should not be capitalized, it is not a "Sport" of the type "e", it is a "sport" within "E"

IMO:
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2016, 05:11:35 pm »

How does Overwatch even have teams that good already such that multiple companies are bidding on them? I know it had beta tests in the past, but weren't those limited to a week each or so? These nerds have only been playing the game for like a month in total and already they're poised to make bank. Meanwhile I'm just sitting here at my normal job doing un-fun work things and making a small fraction of what they'll end up with...   :(

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1322
  • Infamy: 513
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2016, 05:32:36 pm »
+1

Not just that. Last year, young Arsenal star Hector Bellerin was taking part in some TV tournament on UK television. They played BlOps3. Club endorsed his participation, despite it being midweek two days before CL games. Arsenal has strongest Internet presence of all football clubs and you can take that as trend that is going to emerge very soon. These recent actions of football clubs are just confirming that.

Not that I personally give rats ass about e-sports but it is obviously going places.