Author Topic: XCOM 2  (Read 17386 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
Re: XCOM 2
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 04:36:29 pm »
+1
Why don't you all then just piss off to play Xenonauts? -.-

XCOM is a great reboot and together with Enemy Within a great tactical game. Especially with the "Second Wave" options.
I say they dumped all the overload and useless parts and kept it for great tactical gameplay.

When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 10:28:08 pm »
+2
It's a mediocre reboot designed to grab cash using the Xcom name.

mad yet Molly?  :lol:

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 10:00:09 am »
...which is just utter nonsense.
And 90% of gamers agree with me. And then there are those who live in the past who actually enjoy complaining from a high horse more than actually playing a very good and solid game. Your loss...

Same for Diablo 3. It's a great game. Maybe not a good Diablo 2 clone but still a great game.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 12:02:54 pm »
...which is just utter nonsense.
And 90% of gamers agree with me. And then there are those who live in the past who actually enjoy complaining from a high horse more than actually playing a very good and solid game. Your loss...

Same for Diablo 3. It's a great game. Maybe not a good Diablo 2 clone but still a great game.

I was just pulling ya leg Molly chill  :lol:. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion though mate, me and you both, I would disagree that it's my loss though because as I mentioned if I wanted to play a game of this genre and an Xcom game at that, I'd play Xenonauts, which is my personal preference. I guess we'll see if Xcom 2 is any better. Not sure what "living in the past" has to do with anything though considering Xenonauts is a new game lol.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 12:11:32 pm »
I'm just a bit annoyed by the whole discussion which seems to be all the same to me all the time.

Compared to the original, they left out a few things, granted. But in no way does that make it a bad game. The reboot was actually very good compared to other series being redone. The original reboot release was a bit of a let down late in the game cuz the gameplay fell flat and a bit repetitive towards the end sequence. But especially the DLC Enemy Within added so many awesome things in Mechs/Gene Manipulation and those mentioned Second Wave options that it's hard to accept that someone would call it mediocre.

It's the same with Diablo 3. If you keep comparing it to Diablo 2, well, it prolly will disappoint. But looking at it as a spiritual successor it becomes actually very good by itself.

Lot of people tend to forget about the issues and frustrations the old games brought with them when looking back. Often not realizing that the new additions or left out of features in the reboot actually improved the whole experience.

I happen to like the reboot with the expansion a lot, still playing it today. And I have high hopes for the sequel. Though the latest video I posted makes me a bit unsure if it stays true to the general idea.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2015, 12:58:44 pm »
+1
But... can it be so hard to accept that a game might be good, great even, just not a good successor?

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2015, 01:09:25 pm »
+2
I played mostly Terror From the Deep, when it came out, with many replays later.

It's mostly XCOM 1 with new graphics and map types.  But the mood, the difficulty, the hopelessness, vastly surpasses xcom1.

Try it just for the music and see if you can take it! :D

Underwater tactical xcom, with actually scary as fuck aliens and a hopeless predicament. That's what I want to see..

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:19:45 pm by Thomek »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2015, 01:29:42 pm »
+1
I love that deep sea atmosphere, too. Also in the first Bioshock. Have long been hoping for a reboot.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2015, 01:35:57 pm »
But... can it be so hard to accept that a game might be good, great even, just not a good successor?
Hmm, I thought I had written exactly that tbh. I might have been unclear on it.
Tho I do think that modern XCOM is a good and true successor to the original series tbh. Just in a modern take on the concept.

Oh well, guess it's theme one can argue endlessly and not come to a solution. Guess it's just down to personal taste and preferences after all.

Back to topic if we can :P

Just re-watched the "demo" of XCOM 2. I think ptx wrote that it looks weird for a demo. I have to agree. It's certainly more of a trailer than a demo.
I do like certain aspects of it, like the commander/soldier comments on the mission situation. If they make that short and context related without being repetitive, I can see that as a great addition to the atmosphere, if it ain't too much.
I do like the turret take over, the possibility to use more of the environment interactively.
I can even enjoy the Samurai thing as a class if the manage to balance it well and keep it from being too cheesy.
I like the background: Earth being taken over, building up a rebellion. Sounds like a great surrounding for story missions.
I like the idea of being able to rescue fallen team members.
I hope they keep overpowered aliens like that last one where a single one of those give you really headaches about survival.

I don't like the massive amount of cinematic moments the "demo" had. That felt too much. Maybe they were just trying to show off. Tho I loved the turret PoV.
I don't really like the art style of that city piece tbh. Dunno what it is but something is turning me off about it. Too bright, too vibrant. XCOM EU is already nearly too much for me but it looks like they made it even brighter and vibrant...

Edit: Just stumbled over this. Demo being trailer confirmed. But it's an interesting interview with a bunch of details...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 02:25:23 pm by Molly »

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 09:21:58 pm »
Ugh, can we ban Angry Joe from this forum. Every second he draws breath on my monitor, or just a still pic of that turdface I can feel my cancer growing.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2015, 12:32:22 pm »

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2015, 09:35:41 am »
+1

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2015, 07:48:16 pm »
+3
Seems they released a preview version. There are dozens of gameplay videos turning up...

...I wish they would just release it as a demo to everyone.

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2015, 01:47:17 am »
+1
I'm so ready for this game  :D