Author Topic: Tales of Maj'Eyal - Rougelike RPG  (Read 3405 times)

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
Tales of Maj'Eyal - Rougelike RPG
« on: May 08, 2015, 07:14:03 am »
+4
Figured I'd share this game, recently discovered it from the Rougelike sale steam had like 1 week ago. I've put about 30+ hours into it already and it's super addicting. Being a Roguelike RPG you spawn as a selected race/class. It's pretty simplistic in terms of actual gameplay, you move with either clicking or Arrow keys (I rebound to WASD) and fight Monsters level up and progress through the campaign. The challenge comes from beating the game on the variety of difficulties and classes. As you play the game you will unlock more classes, races for doing certain things which you can find here http://te4.org/wiki/Unlockables . Each Class has a bunch of talents so you can make many builds which makes replayability extremely high. I bought it for like 5 bucks including the expansion but I definitely think it's worth the full amount if you're into these kind of games. There are 26 classes and 11 different races ToME.

The game is free which you can find here http://te4.org/ or you can purchase the game to support the developers and you get some perks such as

Custom Tiles
Basically this will allow you to choose a custom tile for all your characters, so much more fun! Also donator's characters with custom tiles will show up on the character's vault!

Exploration Mode
Exploration mode is basically a game mode where you get an infinite number of lives, for those that want to see the story unfold faster.

Items Vault
For each 2€ of donations you gain one slot in the online Items Vault. This allows a character to send items to the vault and an other one to grab it from there. This feature can be accessed through the Fortress ingame.

Stone Warden class
Donators get to enjoy a special class: Stone Wardens. Only dwarves can be Stone Wardens, they are a melee class that dual wields shields and is both proficient in arcane and nature. While most of the world thinks those two forces are opposite, the dwarves have found a way to merge them.

Heres the Steam page - http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/ or you can go to their website http://te4.org/ if you don't like Steam and get it DRM free.

Has steam workshop and supports addons/mods which is awesome and they also have a super cool online character tracking system, active mods in the ingame and small community which seems to make it pretty tightly knit and most people know each other.

Overall great game, highly recommend. Anyone else play it?

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
Re: Tales of Maj'Eyal - Rougelike RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 03:07:08 pm »
+1
sounds like fun, but is it very computer demanding (running on craptop)?
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 09:01:12 pm »
sounds like fun, but is it very computer demanding (running on craptop)?

I doubt it based on how it looks I cant imagine it being very demanding. You can try it free on their website so you know for sure.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:25:07 pm »
+1
ToME is the roguelike, that other roguelikes merely attempt to be
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 01:56:57 pm »
+1
It's a great game and has a good story if you can get into it.

ToME is really different from other roguelikes, being mostly about tactics and not about spamming consumables or grinding.
In the beginning all the classes and their skills can be overwhelming, especially the more complicated ones. I can recommend starting as a berserker2H hero.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 05:34:14 pm by Polobow »

Offline Radament

• King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • ☑Yes ☒No
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Faction
  • Game nicks: «Radament» «Miasma»
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 02:16:49 pm »
if you don't like ascii roguelikes this is the best imho.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 05:14:52 pm »
Hoooly shiet this game is good  :D

Offline Gimest

• Baron
  • Renown: 101
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Gimest_DeGyrst
  • IRC nick: Gimest
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 02:26:01 pm »
+1
I love that summoner <3

Edit: I have never liked turn based games for ive felt them a bit slow, but this game, its just something different. I dunno how many times this game can keep the spirit up, it feels like the dungeons and places can get abit boring with 3rd or 4th character, but definetly worth to play it through once or twice atleast. But atleast the couple classes ive tried, the playing is so different, and u can do couple things differently on play troughs. Also those unlockables are done pretty nice on this game (races/classes/game modes) so if u really want to try out everything, it can take a bit. And theres some dlc for this if u pay something so that can bring alot more time spent with this. But for long time, no game exept c-rpg has got me in to it so badly as Tome. Can deeply recommend it to anyone that likes rpg's, adventures or turn based combat, or even if u dont normally like them.

Does anyone have any idea is there any difference between buying from steam or just donating on the site/game? Thinking about donating from the site so the developer will get more profit? And is it possible to get characters over from non steam version to steam?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:55:12 pm by Gimest »

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2015, 06:46:57 pm »
Only difference is that its on steam opposed to not being on steam.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 05:03:43 am by SeQuel »

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 01:31:32 am »
Only 6 euros, couldn't help myself.

And just when I thought I had the whole summer to get something done.  :(
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 05:04:49 am »
Furthest I've gotten is a current character which is a level 32 Temporal Warden with zero deaths so far. How about you guys?

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2015, 04:43:54 pm »
I have a lvl 30-something temporal warden too with no deaths yet. That  class is just insanely strong, altho I haven't really gotten that far with anything else  :lol:.

It has massive dps, mobility and %-based damage reduction(for all damage types). + it can still get access to heavy armors (combat training lvl 1), cooldown reduction and decent hp gain. Not to mention you can get precognition to cheat death AND for only 1 point in temporal hounds you can get "meatshields" with combined hp going way over 1k. That class feels maybe a bit too strong.

I'm rolling a Wyvern atm. trying to unlock Ogre and/or Skeleton to get a stong race to start maybe an arcane blade in Nightmare difficulty.

Anyway, this game is freaking awesome.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 06:53:36 pm »
If you go Arcane Blade make sure you got stone unlocked for earthen missles. But yeah TW is really strong I personally specced into Temporal Hounds as they are pretty strong.

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 11:51:53 pm »
12 hours and around 50 deaths later. This game is a challenge!  :P

I've had most success with a human berserker and made it to level 14 thanks to some teleportation rune, which allowed me to get a quick rest if a fight was too tough. Then I opened a wrong door and got instagibbed by horde of giants.

I just started with an Arcane blade and after a difficult start I am having fun and killing stuff pretty confidently.
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 05:09:15 pm »
On Nightmare my Wyvern Dwarf got 2shot killed by some Blight damage unique mob...

Then I made a Ghoul Bulwark that made it pretty far on Nightmare. Almost 1k hp on lvl 21, I was critting for over 600dmg ( block that gives the counterstike debuff = next hit deals 200% dmg + a skill that is quaranteed to crit aka. a combo :D )

Then I went to the BearScape (a global event, triggered by admins if youre online). I didn't have any problems: even 3 rare mobs at the same time couldn't really do much against me. Then I finally made it to the zone boss... he killed me in 1 round. I think the boss has a random skillset and now it rolled a Brawler. Brawler's speed + ghoul's -20% global speed gave him like 4 attacks in the first round, each of the as part of a combo so I got absolutely rekt  :shock:

Now I'm rolling a Higher Reaver on nightmare, so far doing quite nicely.