Author Topic: Armors Bonuses and weaknesses?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Mutant

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Armors Bonuses and weaknesses?
« on: May 24, 2011, 01:19:24 am »
I would just like to say that every armor should have strong points and weak points and bonuses to effectiveness against certain types of weapon attacks. i.e. Chainmail is highly effective against cuts but weak against arrows and piercing weapons. Leather offers this and that but is weak against this and that. Lamellar, scale, plate, cloth, padded, partial plate, etc :)

Good idea? Bad? Possible???!? I think it would be cool :)

Offline Revelation

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Armors Bonuses and weaknesses?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 02:09:24 am »
Sounds like it would be a good idea, but then again not all weapons do the kind of damage they should in that situation.

For example, chainmail being good against cutting damage is all fine and dandy, but as axes do cutting damage chainmail would recieve a buff vs axes, whereas traditionally I believe axes actually performed very well vs chainmail.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 02:43:59 am »
Like the idea:

Leather/cloth has padding so does best against blunt, decent against pierce, but worst vs. cut.
Chainmail/mid-tier has stronger metals combined with woven leathers usually so better against cut, decent against blunt but worst vs. pierce
Plate armor has minimal padding, very stiff but solid metals does best against cut, decent against pierce but worst vs. blunt

Would revitalize different armor styles and using lighter armors.  Probably would ahve to be programmed in though as armor 1-30 is tier 1, 31-55 is tier 2, and 56+ is tier 3 (because gauntlets included in calculation of body armor so slightly higher than you might think for the tiers)
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 05:07:24 am »
Sounds like it would be a good idea, but then again not all weapons do the kind of damage they should in that situation.

For example, chainmail being good against cutting damage is all fine and dandy, but as axes do cutting damage chainmail would recieve a buff vs axes, whereas traditionally I believe axes actually performed very well vs chainmail.

heavy cutting weapons like axes, heavy swords (2h'ers, kophesh, falcion...where more weight is at the end of the weapon) should do HACK damage, which is 50% slash, 50% bludgeon.  The mere weight of the weapon coming down does bludgeon damage.

Northern cultures like nords and germans like heavy weapons, whereas eastern cultures started curving their swords to make them lighter and slash better.

Watch the movie '13th Warrior' :)

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:26:41 am »
Cloth and leather armor should be quiet. Rest of the armors should make noise when you move. This game needs infantry movement sounds so bad.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 12:34:55 pm »
Damage types modifiers are global parameters. I highly doubt this can be modified to be applied on an item-by-item bases. Limits of the game engine.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 12:35:06 pm »
Great suggestions here.

I like them.  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Revelation

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »
heavy cutting weapons like axes, heavy swords (2h'ers, kophesh, falcion...where more weight is at the end of the weapon) should do HACK damage, which is 50% slash, 50% bludgeon.  The mere weight of the weapon coming down does bludgeon damage.

Northern cultures like nords and germans like heavy weapons, whereas eastern cultures started curving their swords to make them lighter and slash better.

That's actually what I meant, just couldn't think of the word to describe it, but hack damage fits perfectly yes.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 04:36:38 pm »
I love this idea personally. It would solve the problem of pierce/blunt being overall "best" and would help add some variety.

Too bad it couldn't happen without that external program chadz was talking about.  :(

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 10:25:07 pm »

Shields armor can be weak against "Hack" dmg instead of having "bonus against shields" weapons

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 11:12:46 pm »
Cloth good against pierce? Are you kidding? Cloth, leather, padding, etc. is better against cut than against pierce, while still being the worst armor against all three weapon types, because both mail and plate actually INCLUDE padding underneath. Same holds true for mail vs plate, mail is simply overall worse.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?

Offline Cheap_Shot

• Count
  • Renown: 244
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 11:21:44 pm »
Cloth and leather armor should be quiet. Rest of the armors should make noise when you move. This game needs infantry movement sounds so bad.

This needs some attention. I can't count how many times a guy in chain or plate has snuck up behind me and spammed my back until death (not that one hit doesn't usually do it). Like the horse gallop it would be cool if heavy armor had a similar alert. Archers could realize that they need to scoot, instead of having heavy infantry also be silent stealthy killers.
I'll throw even when the weapons are gone. I can always throw punches and throw up.

Offline Mutant

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 01:26:54 am »
they could easily add the sounds in..

chadz just likes ninjas too much  :rolleyes:

And thats true alot of armor comes mixed and most heavier armor comes with padding underneath but it depends on whats on top in order to get the bonus. Think of all the new armors they could add, atleast 3x more armors because usually there is one armor that has 12 weight with 35 armor and 10 leg armor but with this there could be 3 different armors(possible even more if underneath the armor mattered!(cloth padding, leather, more mail etc :D))
Think of he amount of variation and tactics that could be added. i.e. dueling a longswordsmen you put on some good cut armor etc etc.

Im not sure how they could possibly even fill that many armor slots that would be made available but i'm sure there are many useable ones floating around in other mods and we could always have competitions inside the community to create the best armor and stuff...

edit: crafting should be implemented ;) craft a milanese plate with heavy mail and padded cloth underneath :D but im sure craftinbg has been talked about before and impossible so nevermind
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 01:28:56 am by Mutant »

Offline Mutant

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 01:33:21 am »
hey, why is this in the game balance section! :facepalm:

Offline zagibu

• cRPG President
  • King
  • Renown: 1436
  • Infamy: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 03:02:15 pm »
It sure could be done, and while we're at it, why not include flying mounts and magic?

I am against using realism as an argument in game balancing discussions, but I am also not ready to completely throw it away. If cloth/leather/padded armor became better than mail or plate armor against ANY damage type, i would never start the game again.
 Why am I beswung by sharpe and pointed utensyls?