Author Topic: Soylent  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Soylent
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2015, 10:01:44 pm »
+1
ok sure m80 ;)
I'm glad you had the good sense to back down.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 10:53:51 pm »
Sometimes it pointless to argue with a pigeon if it's just going to shit everywhere and strut around lie it's won anyway.
Turtles

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2015, 11:01:18 pm »
Where's the lie? That a twenty-year old Belgian guy whose current self-identity entirely revolves around him going to gym and thus shitting on things he doesn't understand isn't nearly as smart as, say, Eliezer Yudkowsky?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2015, 11:30:08 pm »
+2
The truth has been revealed to me. Thinking back it makes a lot more sense than whatever explanations I had before. The truth is that Xant is Yudkowsky. I think I just won meleegaming.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2724
  • Infamy: 1137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 12:39:40 am »
+1
Wonder what would happen to teeth of a person who's living on Soylent for decades?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 12:44:58 am »
Where's the lie? That a twenty-year old Belgian guy whose current self-identity entirely revolves around him going to gym and thus shitting on things he doesn't understand isn't nearly as smart as, say, Eliezer Yudkowsky?

Yudkowsky is incredibly inept and rather than actually work towards all the cool shit he wants to do just writes fantasy wank blogposts about ~the singularity~

he wrote an epic length harry potter fanfic to prove that... uh... I'm not sure what.

Quote from: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality
"Hey, Draco, you know what I bet is even better for becoming friends than exchanging secrets? Committing murder."

"I have a tutor who says that," Draco allowed. He reached inside his robes and scratched himself with an easy, natural motion. "Who've you got in mind?"

Harry slammed The Quibbler down hard on the picnic table. "The guy who came up with this headline."

Draco groaned. "Not a guy. A girl. A ten-year-old girl, can you believe it? She went nuts after her mother died and her father, who owns this newspaper, is convinced that she's a seer, so when he doesn't know he asks Luna Lovegood and believes anything she says."

Not really thinking about it, Harry pulled the ring on his next can of Comed-Tea and prepared to drink. "Are you kidding me? That's even worse than Muggle journalism, which I would have thought was physically impossible."

Draco snarled. "She has some sort of perverse obsession about the Malfoys, too, and her father is politically opposed to us so he prints every word. As soon as I'm old enough I'm going to rape her."

so yes no_rules is smarter than yudkowsky
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 12:51:13 am »
Quote from: Yudkowsky
Now here's the moral dilemma. If neither event is going to happen to you personally, but you still had to choose one or the other:

Would you prefer that one person be horribly tortured for fifty years without hope or rest, or that 3^^^3 people get dust specks in their eyes?

I think the answer is obvious. How about you?

I'll go ahead and reveal my answer now: Robin Hanson was correct, I do think that TORTURE is the obvious option, and I think the main instinct behind SPECKS is scope insensitivity.

Some comments:

While some people tried to appeal to non-linear aggregation, you would have to appeal to a non-linear aggregation which was non-linear enough to reduce 3^^^3 to a small constant. In other words it has to be effectively flat. And I doubt they would have said anything different if I'd said 3^^^^3.

If anything is aggregating nonlinearly it should be the 50 years of torture, to which one person has the opportunity to acclimate; there is no individual acclimatization to the dust specks because each dust speck occurs to a different person. The only person who could be "acclimating" to 3^^^3 is you, a bystander who is insensitive to the inconceivably vast scope.

Scope insensitivity - extremely sublinear aggregation by individuals considering bad events happening to many people - can lead to mass defection in a multiplayer prisoner's dilemma even by altruists who would normally cooperate. Suppose I can go skydiving today but this causes the world to get warmer by 0.000001 degree Celsius. This poses very little annoyance to any individual, and my utility function aggregates sublinearly over individuals, so I conclude that it's best to go skydiving. Then a billion people go skydiving and we all catch on fire. Which exact person in the chain should first refuse?

I may be influenced by having previously dealt with existential risks and people's tendency to ignore them.

Torturing someone for their entire life is better than everyone who ever lives getting a speck of dust in their eye once in their lifetime. Okay buddy.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 01:48:55 am »
Nvm:

But the nutritional facts looks fucked up.

Offline Asheram

• King
  • Renown: 1107
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • stuck in a never ending time loop
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 01:56:33 am »
+1
[[as he Gobbles Down mcCheesyburger]]

Your'e not very smart are you...?

But then again you did pay for mbg so i guess that answers my ques hahahahahaha  :lol:
mmmmmm mcCheesyburgers mmmmmm

Mortal Combat!ARYS "@Asheram you arent even what you stole from me bud"
PENDULUM
For everything that could have been At least we took the ride There's no relief in bitterness Might as well let it die

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2015, 11:13:24 am »
Yudkowsky is incredibly inept and rather than actually work towards all the cool shit he wants to do just writes fantasy wank blogposts about ~the singularity~

he wrote an epic length harry potter fanfic to prove that... uh... I'm not sure what.

so yes no_rules is smarter than yudkowsky
Yes, except for the fact that he's a research fellow at..

https://intelligence.org/

Wrote most of..
http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Sequences

And here's some research papers he's written.
https://intelligence.org/all-publications/

The Harry Potter fanfic he wrote brought in an insane amount of smart, talented people to MIRI and CFAR.

I'm also not sure what that rape quote is supposed to prove? It's... fiction? Draco is supposed to be evil?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »
+1
Peter Thiel :lol:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Bittersteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 919
  • Infamy: 199
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Créme
  • Game nicks: Tybalt_von_Krems, Lennart_Bladh
  • IRC nick: Bittersteel
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2015, 01:31:20 pm »
I'm glad you had the good sense to back down.

This is so LOL,

you have been around this forum for so many years, you think you're smart but you're not. As soon as you lose an argument (You do a lot) this applies to you:

Sometimes it pointless to argue with a pigeon if it's just going to shit everywhere and strut around lie it's won anyway.

Many have witnessed it so many times. It's sad. pls stop

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2015, 03:11:43 pm »
This is so LOL,

you have been around this forum for so many years, you think you're smart but you're not. As soon as you lose an argument (You do a lot) this applies to you:
Show me one argument I've lost, and provide a reason why I "lost" it. This thread is certainly a bad example, seeing as MealSquares are objectively a good idea for some uses, even if you disagree with eating them in general.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2015, 03:30:20 pm »
I am not sure where you're going, Leshma. But if a family lived on soylent for generations their teeth would probably athrophy, and sooner or later their lips would form into a trunk-like shape made for sucking the soylent from a bottle.
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.

Offline Golem

• Earl
  • Renown: 466
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: rektlessHEMPrincess
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2015, 03:32:12 pm »
Please can we stay ON TOPIC?
This is about being straight out retarded. Children see in slow motion like owls.