Author Topic: Suicide  (Read 5681 times)

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 07:26:59 am »
I don't think suicide will always be a control issue, and modern 1st world life simply has different problems than struggle to survive societies. In the first world you do get everything you need handed to you, but the social structure is much more complicated and easier to lose footing which could lead one to want to take their lives. Say what you want, but the possibility of upward social mobility and how you struggle to move upward is a very important thing. Its very easy to hit a setback after you've worked so hard to move yourself upward. I would venture to say its harder to avoid loneliness and harder to secure a mate with the stronger social skills and status symbols you need to live in the first world.

Most people these days don't know how to struggle on.  They give up, they fall back on whatever vice is available, or worse yet, this "freedom in death" mentality when in actuality you give up freedom of choice by killing yourself.  I'm not sure what caused this weakness in society, nor do I know how to fix it.

At risk of sounding like a total bundle of sticks homo without getting into specifics, I'm no saint either.  And yet I was able to find the strength to come back after hitting bottom.  Why is this?  Why can't others do this?

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 07:34:43 am »
+1
Most people these days don't know how to struggle on.  They give up, they fall back on whatever vice is available, or worse yet, this "freedom in death" mentality when in actuality you give up freedom of choice by killing yourself.  I'm not sure what caused this weakness in society, nor do I know how to fix it.

At risk of sounding like a total bundle of sticks homo without getting into specifics, I'm no saint either.  And yet I was able to find the strength to come back after hitting bottom.  Why is this?  Why can't others do this?

Because suicide is painless... it brings on many changes.. and I can take or leave it if I choose...

(props if you sang this in your head)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 07:36:42 am »
+1
Because suicide is painless... it brings on many changes.. and I can take or leave it if I choose...

(props if you sang this in your head)

:shock:

Dafuq music is that, youtube that shit so I can wtf face

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 07:38:46 am »
+2
:shock:

Dafuq music is that, youtube that shit so I can wtf face

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:17 am »
+1
Btw havelle.. this might be a good one to include in your paper especially if you're trying to take up a lot of room.

To be, or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
No more; and by a sleep to say we end
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
Must give us pause: there's the respect
That makes calamity of so long life;
For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,
The oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,
The pangs of despised love, the law's delay,
The insolence of office and the spurns
That patient merit of the unworthy takes,
When he himself might his quietus make
With a bare bodkin? who would fardels bear,
To grunt and sweat under a weary life,
But that the dread of something after death,
The undiscover'd country from whose bourn
No traveller returns, puzzles the will
And makes us rather bear those ills we have
Than fly to others that we know not of?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all;
And thus the native hue of resolution
Is sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,
And enterprises of great pith and moment
With this regard their currents turn awry,
And lose the name of action. - Soft you now!
The fair Ophelia! Nymph, in thy orisons
Be all my sins remember'd.

Maybe not the whole thing but this would probably look cool to your professor.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2014, 07:44:20 am »
+1

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2014, 07:46:18 am »
+1
lol

now it makes sense

MASH baby. Was a good movie and series.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2014, 07:47:27 am »
+1
A good end to a good thread, thank you gentlemen

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 07:48:48 am »
+2
A good end to a good thread, thank you gentlemen

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2014, 07:56:33 am »
+1
These are my personal feelings on the matter so I agree with this.

To say life is worthwhile assumes a great deal. And it denies people the ability to control their own self. If I or someone else wants to commit suicide, what's the problem with that? Why must it be constricted or denied?

Why should you be allowed to deny anyone the ability to take their own life, whether they are terminally ill or not. If someone wants to die, to stop them from being able to do so tramples upon their own choices.

Merely breathing isn't a miracle.. nor is it something that must be cherished for its own sake.

The usual counterpoint is when someone says what if your mother/father/wife/gf/sibling/cousin/etc committed suicide, wouldn't you want to stop them?

And the answer is twofold.. I absolutely would in the case of loved ones.. I also would not prevent them from doing so. When someone is at the edge that suicide is better than living even one more day, to try and force them to live against their own will.. is wildly selfish and arrogant.

[Talking from own experience]
When people have full controll over killing themselves without the feeling of repulsion, many people around us woulndt be alive, probably because they saw the opportunity and then, without hesistation, took their own lives. Hell, half of our community wouldnt be alive, being depressed loners without gf's and no social contact but this own community.

But in all seriousness. Everyone has a downfall in is life, it's almost impossible to not have that. people consider suicide at that point, but in the end, when it gets better they forget again. You just have to pass through it.
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Taser

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2014, 08:02:37 am »
+1
[Talking from own experience]
When people have full controll over killing themselves without the feeling of repulsion, many people around us woulndt be alive, probably because they saw the opportunity and then, without hesistation, took their own lives. Hell, half of our community wouldnt be alive, being depressed loners without gf's and no social contact but this own community.

That sucks for crpg but.. ok?

Are you saying that if people had control over their own end (implying they don't), they'd be killing themselves left and right? Even if that were true.. lol.. is that a problem?

Perhaps its an evolutionary advantage. If everyone were free to do so, then you get more people that would reproduce that would not get depressed as easily or more able to cope with disadvantages. Thus ensuring the progeny over time is more mentally stable. (not that I care one way or the other but.. why not throw out a counter point to make it seem like a good thing)

But in all seriousness. Everyone has a downfall in is life, it's almost impossible to not have that. people consider suicide at that point, but in the end, when it gets better they forget again. You just have to pass through it.

For a lot of people, yeah. For some suicide is what wins out.

*shrug*

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 08:06:52 am »
+2

At risk of sounding like a total bundle of sticks homo without getting into specifics, I'm no saint either.  And yet I was able to find the strength to come back after hitting bottom.  Why is this?

I'm not religious.  In having an understanding of both religious and non religious interpretations of suicide, and dealing with my own personal life, I couldn't really come to any other conclusion.

Fair enough, I'll play along. 

You can't have freedom of thought and will, or any thoughts at all for that matter, if you're dead, something the suicidal should take into account.  It all ends the moment you take your own life.

I see suicide as selfish escapism.  You give up everything once you take your own life.  No escape from the mean ol' world to enjoy if you're dead.

Fair points. I'm going to share my actual opinion now. It may seem at first that it is what I wrote before, but it is not quite.

Besides reproduction life has no intrinsic value. Any value it has is a value the person experiencing it decides it should have. There are many factors that go into figuring that value, which means that it is different for every person. Societies are built around the common factors in that value, and in our society a very high value is placed on life in and of itself. Part of that is our religious history, part of that is our fear of death.

I personally do not fear death, it is simply the natural end to life, and the idea of things beginning and ending is something I find a good deal of comfort in. I am not suicidal, I am young, and there is much I want to experience. Someday however I will not be young (most likely), and I may not have any desire left to experience life. I may simply be done. When that day comes I rest easier in the present knowing that I will have the capacity (even if not the legal right) to kill myself. That's the thing we haven't said yet either: Is a law (or society) dictating whether or not a person can kill themselves any less arrogant and self-serving than a person actually killing themselves? And isn't it all academic since you can't exactly send someone to jail once they are dead?

That said, a lot of suicide is due to people being in a non-typical state of mind for a prolonged period of time (something most would call mental illness). So to say that people of sound mind and body should be allowed to kill themselves because they are exercising their freedom of will, and then to use that as a reason to legalize suicide, does a major dis-service to people that would not want to kill themselves if it were not for a state of mind out of their control. The problem is that many people have difficulty empathizing with people of sound mind and body that have simply decided to choose when and how to meet their inevitable end. They assume all suicide is due to mental illness, or view people committing suicide as weak because they have no concept of a complete life.

So my opinion, as it currently stands, is that it is very difficult to know when someone should be allowed to take their own life, but a blanket law that disallows all forms of suicide also does a dis-service to certain individuals (and functions) in society. Essentially people should be forced to explore every option besides suicide, but should not be disallowed from choosing it if they truly want to be finished with life.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

My mother lived in mexico for several years in her twenties. She told me once of an old man that was visiting a dia de los muertos party of sorts. He was fairly well know in the community, and towards the end of the night he started saying goodbye to people in a rather odd manner. He was being very formal, and final, in both his speech and actions, when one of the guests asked him why he was making it seem like they would never see him again he declared that it was because he had decided to die in his sleep that night. He did. He did not take any actual action towards the end, but by morning he had died in his sleep. Did this man commit suicide, or did he simply decide to stop living? Is there a difference?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:14:22 am by Sparvico »
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 08:13:51 am »
+4
All I can say on the matter of choosing to take your own life or not is this:

For a long while my neighbor and I have had a pact that if we became terminally ill at the same time (or for one reason or another knew when we were gonna die... old age, etc), before we die we would go skydiving without a parachute, or skiing down uncharted mountains, or something equally fun/badass in order to end it all with a bang. Still holds true to this day. And why shouldn't we be allowed to? Much rather go splat than to sit in a bed, in pain, able to do nothing, while my family sits around me making small talk and other boring shit.

Also, a friend of mine was on meds that fucked him up emotionally at one point. He tried to off himself. Now, some people in this thread might say who would I be to talk him out of it, if it is his choice to take his own life? Damn right I would have tried to talk him down if I had the chance to. Would it be selfish? Sure... but not entirely. I would also be thinking of his family/friends in addition to my own personal wants/needs. I mean, if he was actually emotionally stable and shit I would have definitely pursued a more therapeutic path as opposed to telling him "yeah go ahead and just end it." It's always worth a shot... just cuz someone is down in the dumps for a week/month doesn't mean their whole life needs to end. I am totally for trying to talk someone out of it, if only to see if it is something they truly want to pursue. Most often when someone puts the noose around their neck, knife to their wrist, gun to their head, it is spurred by a sudden rash decision. If they could spend more time to think things through, well, more often than not I would assume they would rather choose life.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 08:19:28 am »
I'm doing a few paragraphs that are based off existential/nihilist viewpoints. I'm going to steal some of this just because you articulated it so well.

Well thanks.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 09:13:39 am »
+1
My personal opinion is that assisted suicide should be available from a certain age onwards, regardless of any illness. The procedure should be demanding and allowing no rash decisions of course, like doing multiple talks with a doctor psychologist over the course of half a year or even a year. Old people cost a lot of money to any society and for example Western-European society has and will have a disproportionate amount of old people for a while still. Is it morally defensible to spend tons of money on someone who doesn't want to live anymore, while this money could used to lighten the hefty tax burden of people that do want to live? On that note, societies should also realy stop spending tax money on 6 digit cost medical procedures to prolong the life of people over 80 years old.

On just suicide alone, I think that you are pretty bad at relativizing if you see the need to kill yourself as a young person in Western society and it is not a deed I find worthy of any respect. It's pretty easy to enjoy life, but then I am a cold-hearted asshole. Sure it is easily morally defensible as a personal right, but to protect people against poor decisions, the barriers for committing suicide under a certain age should not be reduced at all. Does anyone here taking the 'suicide is a right' route think that there should be assisted suicide for young people?