Author Topic: Total War: Attila  (Read 31736 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Attila
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2015, 10:51:21 pm »
Yes it is.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2015, 11:42:21 pm »
Yes it is.

Same exact DLC on disc crap as with Rome 2. 

The only major difference this time around is that it takes longer to write cracks for this game.  A relatively new form of DRM was used that ties the exe to your CPU.  Supporting all known models is a pain in the ass, but without a crack that matches your CPU, you'll typically CTD around turns 8-9.

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2015, 01:31:55 am »
Bah it'll just take a few more time, as for dao and the others ea shit
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2015, 09:43:57 am »
Yeah they have gone overboard with the DLC, obviously Sega has a big hand in that. I dont mind numerous DLCs at all but when you have a paid day 1 DLC and then another paid DLC 2 weeks later it's obvious that these could have just been normal game content from day 1. The problem is people like me who wouldn't normally buy into these DLCs but as I am a bitch for Total War, I will end up buying the DLC if it contains Factions etc. I don't really buy any of that campaign scenario dlc crap though.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2015, 10:49:26 am »
Still waiting for the Blood&Gore DLC. Not gonna play until people bleed on the battlefield properly!
Watching that is half the fun :(
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 06, 2015, 03:32:39 pm »
I assumed they would have had the blood & gore dlc ready by release, don't see how it's so late to release, it does look strange when two armies are hacking and stabbing at each other with swords, axes, spears and there's not a drop of blood in sight.

EDIT: Well being the mug I am for Total War games I got Attila + both DLCs for about £32, UK 20% VAT tax is a douche. Still not complaining though considering I saved £10 compared to what it would have cost me to get them all on Steam.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:27:19 pm by Leesin »

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2015, 05:51:08 pm »
Yea, key stores help.
And normally I don't see a general issue with DLCs but... well... TW or Sega more likely... they're a special bunch.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 07, 2015, 09:59:25 pm »
After pissing about for a few hours, mainly as the Danes, I have to say I enjoyed myself and overall I personally feel it's a pretty solid game, but if I am honest, there was no excuse it shouldn't have been considering it's built on Rome 2 after all the fixing was done lol. One thing that kind of annoyed me is how the navies work with land reinforcements now, I was surprised when a small navy I was trapping in attacked me, bringing a fuck ton of land reinforcements in transport ships, personally I found it a little lame. I dont remember that happening in Rome 2, though to be fair I havent played that for a while.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 07, 2015, 11:19:10 pm »
Continuing with my Danes campaign I'm very positive about this game.

A few positives: Generals look like their portraits on the battlefield. Sea battles work well now, basically just land battles on sea, I'm enjoying playing a mainly seaborne faction (the no high-seas attrition and seasickness are potentially very powerful). Auto calculation takes educated guesswork now instead of the boring 'choose the right button' thing from RTWII. Family tree and politics works well now and adds narrative and character to the faction and the campaign. Also great that they've included what I've always hoped for in the series, that the death of a faction leader means new diplomatic relations, historically a common issue in autocracies.
The graphics are great and the game runs really well. Very cool period and visual design overall, I like the grimy atmosphere and the good attention to historical accuracy in unit and building design (low points being RTW and ETW). More polish to numerous RTWII features that already worked pretty good in RTWII:EE, I really like the different army stances for example, province decrees, political events and streamlined skill trees for both armies and characters. Squalor and disease being a factor now in settlement construction. Changing climate. etc.

9/10, one of the best Total War games in my opinion, in line with some of the best such as the first Medieval, Viking Invasion, Mongol Invasion, Napoleon and Rome II.

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2015, 05:07:46 am »
Any suggestions for playing as Western Roman Empire/Eastern Roman Empire?  I'm consistently getting the shit kicked out of me as either faction, the others I'm not having a problem with.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 08, 2015, 07:42:38 am »
Any suggestions for playing as Western Roman Empire/Eastern Roman Empire?  I'm consistently getting the shit kicked out of me as either faction, the others I'm not having a problem with.

They are represented like a crumbling empire, you're going to have a lot of nursing to do to get them up and running. I haven't played them myself yet but from what I've seen abandoning some settlements and even disbanding some armies can help you to begin with, rid yourself of the most rebellious/shitty settlements and the least important armies early in the game, so you can use your funds to focus on and solidify your most important places.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 08, 2015, 01:24:08 pm »
They are represented like a crumbling empire, you're going to have a lot of nursing to do to get them up and running. I haven't played them myself yet but from what I've seen abandoning some settlements and even disbanding some armies can help you to begin with, rid yourself of the most rebellious/shitty settlements and the least important armies early in the game, so you can use your funds to focus on and solidify your most important places.
This seems the best bet. Look at the map and create chokepoints, abandon cities that aren't defensible.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 08, 2015, 01:30:57 pm »
Continuing with my Danes campaign I'm very positive about this game.

A few positives: Generals look like their portraits on the battlefield. Sea battles work well now, basically just land battles on sea, I'm enjoying playing a mainly seaborne faction (the no high-seas attrition and seasickness are potentially very powerful). Auto calculation takes educated guesswork now instead of the boring 'choose the right button' thing from RTWII. Family tree and politics works well now and adds narrative and character to the faction and the campaign. Also great that they've included what I've always hoped for in the series, that the death of a faction leader means new diplomatic relations, historically a common issue in autocracies.
The graphics are great and the game runs really well. Very cool period and visual design overall, I like the grimy atmosphere and the good attention to historical accuracy in unit and building design (low points being RTW and ETW). More polish to numerous RTWII features that already worked pretty good in RTWII:EE, I really like the different army stances for example, province decrees, political events and streamlined skill trees for both armies and characters. Squalor and disease being a factor now in settlement construction. Changing climate. etc.

9/10, one of the best Total War games in my opinion, in line with some of the best such as the first Medieval, Viking Invasion, Mongol Invasion, Napoleon and Rome II.
How does Attila compare to Rome 2 with all DLCs in your opinion? I own Rome 2 and some DLCs, but been thinking about pirating it with all of them. The time period seems more interesting to play as Rome or Greece, while Attila is more interesting when playing as barbarians or Huns, IMO.

If Attila is a direct upgrade over almost everything instead of a sidegrade/different style of play, I'll probably find it pretty hard to go back to Rome 2.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2015, 02:36:54 pm »
+1
Issue with the abandoning tactic is it actually lets the barbarians get through quicker. I've found you're better off leaving the settlements to their own devices cos then the barbarians will besiege them and you can whittle down their numbers before they hit your valuable provinces.

Also remove all churches, they suck and cost you cash. And I disbanded all the armae whatever guys, the shit skirmishers. Got me an extra 3k a turn.

Offline Andswaru

• Duke
  • Renown: 554
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • SeaRaider_
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Andswaru
« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2015, 05:43:41 pm »
And change all of your food buildings from fields to animals, helps in the longrun.
Smooth is the admin NA deserves. Not being that much better, EU deserves Thomek.
[18:25] <@chadz> soon(tm)