Author Topic: Melee: Battlegrounds Crowdfunding - Name Reservation Reward  (Read 10240 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2200
  • Infamy: 2707
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: Melee: Battlegrounds Crowdfunding - Name Reservation Reward
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2014, 01:45:15 pm »
+1
I CALL DIBS ON THE TURKSLAYER.

Doubt you'll have any Turks around to slay. Maybe Blockula or Reyiz, and that's it.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2014, 02:06:11 pm »
I am with Teeth on this one.

Melee will be a commercial product and not some nerdy mod... those kind of names shouldn't be allowed,
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2014, 02:10:24 pm »
I am with Teeth on this one.

Melee will be a commercial product and not some nerdy mod... those kind of names shouldn't be allowed,

Don`t forget to ban red, white and black as well, we don`t want people to start calling us nazees  :?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2014, 02:12:03 pm »
Turks aint a race.
Race is a social concept, not a biological one. Turks are as much a race as black people are.

But then again, Basel the Bulgarslayer was such a neo chocolate chip cookie  :lol:
An emperor that lived a thousands years in an empire that was at war with Bulgars had a comparable nickname, thus it is okay for you to do the same now in an international community that contains many Turks? And yes, he probably was a pretty bad racist and the people that named him probably were racist as well. Teeth the Jewslayer does have a nice ring to it I guess.

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2014, 02:17:49 pm »
+3
Race is a social concept, not a biological one. Turks are as much a race as black people are.

Race is a biological concept, not a social concept. Turkish is a nationality, like french, english, or whatever. Black is a color, you can't say about someone he's turkish when it comes to his color of skin. The use of the "race" term to define a skin color is archaïc, and wrong according to biology.

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2014, 02:20:05 pm »
An emperor that lived a thousands years in an empire that was at war with Bulgars had a comparable nickname, thus it is okay for you to do the same now in an international community that contains many Turks? And yes, he probably was a pretty bad racist and the people that named him probably were racist as well. Teeth the Jewslayer does have a nice ring to it I guess.

if the turks are allowed to have pictures of Kemal Ataturk posted at this forum (who commited a genocide against Greeks), then I think I`m allowed to use the TurkSlayer name aswell.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1657
  • Infamy: 2786
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2014, 02:33:09 pm »
Greek committing genocide against his own people.

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2014, 02:45:38 pm »
Race is a biological concept, not a social concept.
Race when used to classify humans is rarely used in a strictly biological sense and it is highly debatable if it is useful at all. In every day of the word 'race' people are definitely not referring to differentations made based solely on genotype. Even if you want to go with a strictly biological definition, Turks might be definable as a race, although I have no idea how biological definitions of human races even work. As you seem so sure of your biological human races, I'd love to see you enlighten me. What human races do exist according to you?

Turkish is a nationality, like french, english, or whatever.
Turkish is far more than a nationality, at the very least it is a very large ethno-linguistic groups spread over many countries. If it was solely a nationality then Panos' name would be even worse, as it would refer only to the current Turks living in Turkey, you know, the ones that are playing this game as well. I hope that Panos is only referring to inhabitants of historical Turkish kingdoms. 

The use of the "race" term to define a skin color is archaïc, and wrong according to biology.
Yet this use is by far, and I mean by far, the most relevant use of the term in language today, which demonstrates that race as a social concept, exists regardless of there being biological human races. And has done so for a long time.

if the turks are allowed to have pictures of Kemal Ataturk posted at this forum (who commited a genocide against Greeks), then I think I`m allowed to use the TurkSlayer name aswell.
I don't see why.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2014, 02:46:23 pm »
+8
seriously can there just for once be a discussion on this forum that doesn't descend into people calling each other racist.

if a person takes offence to a name like that then they really need to grow a pair, this is the internet it's hardly the most upsetting thing you will see in the next hour let alone day.

'oh no someone on a video game called himself the britslayer, i am really hurt by this and might cry'

grow up you social justice warriors.
Turtles

Offline Teeth

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2014, 02:58:24 pm »
+2
It didn't descend into calling people racists, I started with calling Panos racist. I think equating the way you feel about your ethnicity with the way people from regions like Turkey or the Balkan should feel about theirs, ignores some very important historical differences. Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck what you see about my country, language or ethnic group, that does not hold for everyone though. As a developer team that sells a product, you shouldn't want your game turning into 4chan.

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2014, 03:00:07 pm »
+3
Lets turn it into a tumblr SJW ecochamber instead  :lol:

Croats are a race, we are black Germans  :oops:

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2014, 03:00:22 pm »
+3
Race when used to classify humans is rarely used in a strictly biological sense and it is highly debatable if it is useful at all. In every day of the word 'race' people are definitely not referring to differentations made based solely on genotype. Even if you want to go with a strictly biological definition, Turks might be definable as a race, although I have no idea how biological definitions of human races even work. As you seem so sure of your biological human races, I'd love to see you enlighten me. What human races do exist according to you?
Turkish is far more than a nationality, at the very least it is a very large ethno-linguistic groups spread over many countries. If it was solely a nationality then Panos' name would be even worse, as it would refer only to the current Turks living in Turkey, you know, the ones that are playing this game as well. I hope that Panos is only referring to inhabitants of historical Turkish kingdoms. 
Yet this use is by far, and I mean by far, the most relevant use of the term in language today, which demonstrates that race as a social concept, exists regardless of there being biological human races. And has done so for a long time.
I don't see why.

There's no race as far I remember, since science proved, thanks to genes, that the genetics variations between individuals of a same "group" are more important than the genetic variations betweens different geographicals groups. Those guys in America that are trying to find biological arguments to make re appear the term "race" as a biological term are wrong, and are outlawed.

PS : This means basically there's more genetical variations between "white" people than variations between black and white people. It also means that people trying to find things to create sub groups within the ONLY race, the human race, are pure retards.

PPS : I was just pointing out the use of the term "race" is wrong, I'm not insulting anyone in this thread. Maybe it's time to get back on the actual topic.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:05:43 pm by Algarn »

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2014, 03:07:40 pm »
+1
Sure Casimir, I will be the TurtleSlayer then :D
Personally I would like to keep Moncho (it's a very old real life nickname of mine), but if that is not possible, I will just slightly modify it and move on.
About name moderation, there definitely should be some, but what level is really up to the devs. No matter what the rules are, retards trolls are going to try to bend them as far as they can get away with.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2014, 03:10:20 pm »
+2
It didn't descend into calling people racists, I started with calling Panos racist. I think equating the way you feel about your ethnicity with the way people from regions like Turkey or the Balkan should feel about theirs, ignores some very important historical differences. Personally I couldn't give a flying fuck what you see about my country, language or ethnic group, that does not hold for everyone though. As a developer team that sells a product, you shouldn't want your game turning into 4chan.

Oh my god i can't believe you're deriding the way i feel about my ethnicity, that's so judgemental. I feel very strongly about my national racial identity, how dare you! You have triggered me now you racist.

(click to show/hide)
Turtles

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2014, 03:13:44 pm »
lol
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!