Author Topic: Cavalry stuff  (Read 7838 times)

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
Re: Cavalry stuff
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2011, 08:43:11 am »
I think that the solution is, like mentioned in an other thread, to reduce the charge ability of the horses. Then there will be less bumpslashing, and people are happy  :D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2011, 08:53:05 am »
I think that the solution is, like mentioned in an other thread, to reduce the charge ability of the horses. Then there will be less bumpslashing, and people are happy  :D

Reducing the damage done by charge is only half the problem. Reduce the speed an manueverability of all horses except the high end ones and they will be more balanced. Steppe horses that turn on a dime and coursers that are faster than a ferrari need to go.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline MouthnHoof

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: MouthnHoof
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2011, 11:32:11 am »
Reducing the damage done by charge is only half the problem. Reduce the speed an manueverability of all horses except the high end ones and they will be more balanced. Steppe horses that turn on a dime and coursers that are faster than a ferrari need to go.
True

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2011, 11:43:12 am »
If manouveability n speed are reduced charge and hit points should be increased. Else cavalry will be an expensive joke.
Turtles

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2011, 12:53:56 pm »
(click to show/hide)

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for the argument that lance cav now have to choose between a shield and a 2 slot polearm :D
They can use a lance, a staff, and a shield. Or no shield and a poleaxe or something instead. No-shield on cav just means you have to play differently, and lots of lancers do fine without it (Leed and Torben for example).
And no, I don't use shield on horseback, and never have.

Yes, horses die fast, especially the lighter ones. But then I'm not suggesting any kind of stat nerf for horses. And I don't want a lance str requirement increase.

Maybe you're right that the horse riding requirement increase won't change anything (its a point that Overdriven made as well a few pages back). With 18 agility you can have 6 riding, which gives you all the horses. Even 7 riding will still give you the ability to use nearly every weapon and every piece of armour.
This is fine, I think - playing cav shouldn't restrict you to a completely agi stacked build. I do wonder though, how many cav players actually go to 6-7 riding. Certainly I'd imagine all the top lancer players do. But I've seen people talk about their builds with 4 riding, so I dunno.

Anyway, I also saw someone mention that horses should have their tier or requirements changed according to use/effectiveness, not just bling.
Maybe:

1: Sumpter
3: Rouncey/Palfrey
4: Steppe/Desert
5: Warhorse/Large Warhorse/Destrier
6: Cataphract/Charger
7: Mamluk/Plated Charger/Courser/Arabian Warhorse

would be better. Together with stat changes to make armoured horses actually worth their requirements.

Also, about the cost. A 15% or 25% cost increase would reduce the amount of cavalry you see, there's no doubt. Cav players won't play cav on every map (which is fine imo - as I said, every cav except HA can function fine as infantry). And I don't really see the problem with cost currently - I make money as a cav player. Sure, I don't have millions, but I'm nowhere near bankrupt.
Cav will also choose lower tier horses more often to save money. As long as their stats are changed so there's a choice to be made, this is good I think. All I see are coursers and arabian warhorses.

That's the solution to removing 1hand/shield and 2hand cav from the game and forcing anyone who wants to play cav to be a lancer, yes.
Not to mention that most horses will rear whenever they hit a peasant.

Yeah, reduce steppe horse's manoeuvre. Because that 38 speed stat, 85hp, and 14 armour will really make it worth buying once you reduce its limited ability to escape from faster horses (every other light horse except the sumpter) and ranged fire.

The tier 4 horse's stats are fine. Its just that their price and difficulty requirements do not in any way reflect their stats and worth when compared to other horses. They are (obviously) better than the lower tier horses, and far better than the higher tier ones too.
So buff armoured horses, shift some stats on the lighter horses for more variety and choice (and usefulness), increase cost and difficulty of tier 4 horses. Except maybe the destrier.

Most of the time you're not seeing a courser with 48 speed in battles. You're seeing a courser with 48 speed plus whatever bonus 6-7 riding gives it (and usually an heirloomed courser too). But you shouldn't change the stats on the assumption that everyone who uses it uses it heirloomed and with 6 riding.
Instead, alter the price and difficulty to reflect its stats (and potential stats).

I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline UrLukur

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2011, 02:20:42 pm »

Most of the time you're not seeing a courser with 48 speed in battles. You're seeing a courser with 48 speed plus whatever bonus 6-7 riding gives it (and usually an heirloomed courser too). But you shouldn't change the stats on the assumption that everyone who uses it uses it heirloomed and with 6 riding.
Instead, alter the price and difficulty to reflect its stats (and potential stats).

Why ? 1h (swords, maces can use 12/15) are balanced around heirloomed 1h and 6 ps (5ps). Most people have those 6 ridding anyway, and balancing it around heirlooms is good idea (just like archers are balanced around heirloomed bows).
"Clava curva pie vinco"

Offline Korgoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 742
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player
  • I've dated girls uglier than you for Breakfast
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Korgoth
  • IRC nick: Korgoth
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2011, 02:20:52 pm »
I like all the stuff in the Original Post. Bane for president!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Korgoth's Retextures
Korgoth's Hierloom Stall

Offline BD_Guard_Bane

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guards
  • Game nicks: BD_Guard_Bane
  • IRC nick: cmpxchg8b
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2011, 02:41:03 pm »
Why ? 1h (swords, maces can use 12/15) are balanced around heirloomed 1h and 6 ps (5ps). Most people have those 6 ridding anyway, and balancing it around heirlooms is good idea (just like archers are balanced around heirloomed bows).

Possibly every cav player has 6 riding. But its not certain. Maybe most have 4 or 5 and use other points for ironflesh or athletics or shield.

Personally, I'd rather items weren't balanced around heirlooms, but I don't use any, so I'm biased. 
I defended the village and all I got was this stupid title.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2011, 02:11:57 pm »
One headshot to an armored horse isn't enough to take it down. I headshot a courser and it still needs another arrow before coming down.
And yes, i use a MW strong bow and bodkin arrows.   :rolleyes:

The thing is, saying 3 arrows are enough for a horse is definitely true most of the times, but one lance thrust is also enough for all archers. Do you think an archer has enough time to shoot 3 arrows on a horse before the cav comes and kill it ? Seriously ? And... we can't shoot arrows AND block down. As an archer, i must pass at least 20% of my short lifespan using a melee weapon just to down block, doing nothing else. And once you see an archer using a melee weapon, just run in bumpslash or couch. :S

And.... horses and cav are not EASY to shoot down at medium distance. This is just an asumption because when 4 archers focus you, one hits. "Ah, i got hit by thoses filthy my old friends medium distance, nerf range !". But that's 20%.

A straight on headshot to a courser with my MS and bodkins kill it. Thing is head shots can be a bit glitchey...if you hit it slightly off it doesn't do as much. But I've also had plenty of people 1 shot my courser as well.

I used to play pure archer before I went HA and all I can say is, you can put 3 arrows in a horse no problem, even with it charging down. If you are a good archer, you don't stand in the open letting a horseman bump you over and over. The best archers tend to find spots near walls ect where they can't be outflanked and if a horse charges them it means death. If you don't have the time to put 3 arrows in a horse, then you aren't playing right. Because there is always time. On nearly every map there's some form of cover to shoot from.

And no, that is not an assumption. Once you play long enough you learn the leads. A lot of archer can put 3 arrows into a horse at long range no problem. Admittedly it's harder now with the giant arc of an arrow, but it's still easy. I've seen plenty of archer who don't even aim for the horse at long range, they aim for the rider and they hit the rider.

#4 I boldfaced the important part for you. Now, who's fault is that? You made a 1-dimensional min/max build, suck it up when you get to use your min side.

So suck it up when you get lanced in the head because you're not smart enough to avoid it? Simple solution.

Possibly every cav player has 6 riding. But its not certain. Maybe most have 4 or 5 and use other points for ironflesh or athletics or shield.

Personally, I'd rather items weren't balanced around heirlooms, but I don't use any, so I'm biased.

I think most dedicated builds have 6 riding. Dedicated lancers and HA tend to, partly because it means if your horse is downed you can jump back up on any other horse that is lying around, a useful thing in a fight.

I don't think items should be balanced around heirlooms either. Base attributes are the most important, people heirloom different things and therefore it's impossible to judge who uses what and what is balanced.

I am up for the idea or re-tiering the horses related to ability and use rather than bling. I think upping the arabian and courser tiers would make a big difference. That way only dedicated cav would use them. However, their stats don't need to be changed. They have those stats for a reason, I think upping the difficulty would be enough of a change.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:17:03 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2011, 02:40:15 pm »
A straight on headshot to a courser with my MS and bodkins kill it. Thing is head shots can be a bit glitchey...if you hit it slightly off it doesn't do as much. But I've also had plenty of people 1 shot my courser as well.

I used to play pure archer before I went HA and all I can say is, you can put 3 arrows in a horse no problem, even with it charging down. If you are a good archer, you don't stand in the open letting a horseman bump you over and over. The best archers tend to find spots near walls ect where they can't be outflanked and if a horse charges them it means death. If you don't have the time to put 3 arrows in a horse, then you aren't playing right. Because there is always time. On nearly every map there's some form of cover to shoot from.

And no, that is not an assumption. Once you play long enough you learn the leads. A lot of archer can put 3 arrows into a horse at long range no problem. Admittedly it's harder now with the giant arc of an arrow, but it's still easy. I've seen plenty of archer who don't even aim for the horse at long range, they aim for the rider and they hit the rider.

I assume the horse was running in straight line to you, so our arrow had an awesome speed bonus. Else, it just doesn't. And shooting like this is "very" dangerous. If you fail, you're dead. If the cav is smart, you're dead.

3 arrows in a long distance horse, no problem ? I thought GK were good cav, but you sir, really don't know how to move your horse if you think it's easy. It's not a question of "how good is the archer", it's a "no matter how good the archer is, if the cav is good, you have no chance". Take for example, Guard_Bifi, GK_Kerrigan, Legio_Veleno. 2 good cav, one good ha. They don't get bothered the slightest by arrows, even in mid distance, cause they know what they do.
And that's the problem, as an archer, i know what i have to do, but i know that if i'm facing one of thoses i have to depend on luck, wich sucks.

Btw, i laughed at the "once you play long enough you learn the leads". But don't take it personnaly of course.

Also, spots near walls are overrated. Or you only face cav bots.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2011, 02:46:19 pm »
I assume the horse was running in straight line to you, so our arrow had an awesome speed bonus. Else, it just doesn't. And shooting like this is "very" dangerous. If you fail, you're dead. If the cav is smart, you're dead.

3 arrows in a long distance horse, no problem ? I thought GK were good cav, but you sir, really don't know how to move your horse if you think it's easy. It's not a question of "how good is the archer", it's a "no matter how good the archer is, if the cav is good, you have no chance". Take for example, Guard_Bifi, GK_Kerrigan, Legio_Veleno. 2 good cav, one good ha. They don't get bothered the slightest by arrows, even in mid distance, cause they know what they do.
And that's the problem, as an archer, i know what i have to do, but i know that if i'm facing one of thoses i have to depend on luck, wich sucks.

Btw, i laughed at the "once you play long enough you learn the leads". But don't take it personnaly of course.

Also, spots near walls are overrated. Or you only face cav bots.

Yes but it is up to you to not fail  :P

Lol I wasn't talking about me having my horse downed. I tend to avoid all archers and focus on 2H, pikemen and other cav unless I know for a fact I can out shoot the archer from horse back. I was talking about me being a foot archer and shooting down horses.

You're talking about 3 of the best cav players out there. Can you really expect to take them down easily? Just like a good player of any other build, they aren't going to be easy. What I'm talking about, and what this discussion needs to focus on, is average players. The majority of CRPG is average players. If you based all balance around the best players, then every class/weapon would be nerfed to hell.

Why did you laugh at that? It's a fact. You learn how to lead the shot to a horse at any range and can hit it easily if you know how to do this. You may lose a couple of arrows in the process due to factoring in changes of direction ect, but tbh I value those lost arrows as worth it when that cav goes down.

No they aren't: walls, trees, barrels, wagons. Anything that is an obstacle puts a cav man off. If they are stopped in their tracks then they tend to die very quickly so it's up to you to exploit those barriers. Even a slight hill helps because it slows cavalry down just that little bit longer for you to put an extra arrow in them.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:50:53 pm by Overdriven »

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 06:10:25 pm »
Realy didn't catch my point.

1st : Don't take cavs for noobs. If you're near a wall, they can charge you, riding next to the wall all the way, thus not something. Or, they can charge you, then slow down, turn, and lance you. Since you can't jump back (wall), you have to block. If you block, you're an easy prey for a 1h cav who will bump slash you to death in small circles.
If you're near a corner, then you can't jump sideways, so a cav comes, couch, and you're dead.
The only way to evade cav is to go on a roof AND break the ladder (else the horse can go there too  :shock: ). Wich is... kinda lame... (the fact that we need to get on a roof).
At the moment, i see less and less nobb cavs going in straight lines, guess they're improving. And how do you archer can improve to get a cav in mid distance who randomly goes left or right or jump ? Nah... you can't... you're already estimating his trajectory following is head direction, if he changes it suddenly, you're doomed. Thus.... Luck.

2nd : Archers role is to take down the cavs at medium distance. If we can't because the cav is too good, no matter how skillfull the archer is, then there's a problem. I've played archer for quite a long time now, and made it my duty to kill ha, then cav. So i'm really used to killing them. And yeah, i'm not specially bad at what i'm doing, and can't really improve since i'm already at the best. So when i can't shoot an HORSE at medium distance, for 5 consecutive shots, who's not even riding an arabian, then there's something wrong going there. Cause when i miss the first time, he'll just get closer. Then i miss again, and then i have one last shot. Which can't kill the horse. So... *RIP*

3rd :
Fact : Noob cavalry owns noob archer. Good cavalry owns good archer. Excellent cavalry owns excellent archer EXCEPT if archer gets lucky.

(click to show/hide)
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2011, 06:19:33 pm »
Ah.. how i wich strategus was back so people could actually see me topping the scoreboard and know my damn name. -_-

Indeed, though I guess most of the guys who've already played strategus know your name, at least.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2011, 08:01:48 pm »
If manouveability n speed are reduced charge and hit points should be increased. Else cavalry will be an expensive joke.

agreed. This would be a more than fair trade off.

(click to show/hide)
Anyway, I also saw someone mention that horses should have their tier or requirements changed according to use/effectiveness, not just bling.
Maybe:

1: Sumpter
3: Rouncey/Palfrey
4: Steppe/Desert
5: Warhorse/Large Warhorse/Destrier
6: Cataphract/Charger
7: Mamluk/Plated Charger/Courser/Arabian Warhorse

This change would also be helpful for the general community
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline AzureSkys

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • per aspera ad astra
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Azure, Nihilanth
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2011, 08:15:39 pm »
The solution is to make the horse tired after a few charges. If the map doesn't have a river, stream, or lake and plant life, the player will have to equip a bucket, canteen, and bag of oats and take a break in the shade for a few minutes.