Author Topic: Upkeep of different classes  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
Re: Upkeep of different classes
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2011, 07:04:45 am »
actually, the upkeep of the top-tier arrows and the top-tier bow is just in line with the cost of a top-tier 2h sword. Mid tier horse costs more.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Goretooth

• Duke
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 237
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2011, 07:21:31 am »
You Making fun of the armor?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Braeden - Clanless maybe? or Free Peasant not sure - Rarely plays, plus might be retarded
Tydeus - Nord EU Scum - Hates adminning

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2011, 09:19:47 am »
So make any armor over 10 weight reduce effective melee wpf by 50-75%. This will make it as ineffective as an archer wearing heavier armor and force more melee into wearing lighter armor, meaning they will make tons of gold. Problem solved  :wink:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »
It's a fact, not a whine.

Less armour = less upkeep, that's logical...

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 05:49:46 pm »
So make any armor over 10 weight reduce effective melee wpf by 50-75%. This will make it as ineffective as an archer wearing heavier armor and force more melee into wearing lighter armor, meaning they will make tons of gold. Problem solved  :wink:
Thank you for posting this.

This is exactly the issue. Archers sit in the back and don't have to fear melee early in the rounds like other melee have to. Meaning you are able to be effective for the first part/end of the round with low armor, as you're not coming into contact with any enemies aside from ranged ones and the only place where armor affects you here, is as a wpf reduction. Melee can't fight unless they're in melee, they can't be effective unless they're sticking their neck out there. So to be effective for the same duration as a ranged player would be, they'd have to go into melee starting from the beginning of the round and hack their way to the end. To do this even remotely well, consistently, you can't be wearing light armor. There is a direct limitation on the effectiveness of a melee player in battle/siege and it's called armor.

I'd almost go so far as to say that plate is a must for any melee that isn't an athletics build and is serious about maximizing their effectiveness in battle, but I know no one wants to hear about plate when it could seem like I'm suggesting to remove upkeep completely(I'm not). How often do melee wear light armor in scrims or tournaments if they don't have to? There's a reason for this and it's not aesthetics.

Kesh: Personally, I'm not really suggesting any specific changes need to be done. What I am doing, is trying to help draw light on the underlying reasons that upkeep for different classes, is currently the way it is. It's a problem that should be looked into. I've seen a increase in naked melee since the market came out and it sucks when they're on your team because they're essentially useless. The current upkeep system rewards naked melee more than the ones doing damage and getting kills.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 05:51:52 pm by Tydeus »
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 06:16:32 pm »
The current upkeep system rewards naked melee more than the ones doing damage and getting kills.

That's a gold/reward issue, not an upkeep one  :idea:
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Diavolo

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Engineering student - Will pwn your ass in physics
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templars
  • Game nicks: Templar_Diavolo, Aleta
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 06:55:59 pm »
Cant this be fixed by reducing the price of armor? archers cant wear it anyway, so this will mainly have the effect of making melee chars less expensive to play.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 08:33:42 pm »
Cant this be fixed by reducing the price of armor? archers cant wear it anyway, so this will mainly have the effect of making melee chars less expensive to play.

No. That's a one-off price and won't affect the hundreds of veterans who already have gear.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 10:20:23 pm »
Can't the upkeep % be raised just for bows and arrows, sinse they usually don't use any heavy armour or expensive melee weapon these days.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2011, 10:38:14 pm »
Can't the upkeep % be raised just for bows and arrows, sinse they usually don't use any heavy armour or expensive melee weapon these days.

They were raised, we only fall behind a few thousand in total gear, less if using the one slot strongbow.

Things are decently close now. Bodkins for example or about twice what they used to cost, and warbows 30% higher, etc
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2011, 05:29:24 am »

I use Long Espada Esplanada and on short maps I will wear Sarranid Guard or Tunic over mail. I am making money, but at a very slow rate. All of that coin will be going away once I retire again as a horse archer and have to pay upkeep on THAT very expensive little item.

This constant attack against archers is getting ridiculous. You figure you can't get any further nerf on the equipment itself, so NOW you want to make it so that archers are forced to use a nomad bow and arrows half the time so that they can use their warbow and bodkins the other half, all the while wearing paper armor. As for Horse Archers? Gone.

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2011, 05:02:00 pm »
As for Horse Archers? Gone.

Hooray!

Oh wait...

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2011, 03:19:32 pm »
If a player chooses to play a build that forces him to use lighter armor (which makes him vulnerable to ranged and melee) why should we penalize him in gold? I have to say that when i pull out a sword and insta-kill most archers while leveling and only at power strike 2-3 there is a huge tradeoff they're making.

This whole issue seems a lot like "Some is playing the game differently than me and gaining different benefits i could have if i only chose to mimick their style. I do not wish to mimick their style so i want external forces to remove his benefit." This is not the way to a long lasting game with a solid community, it's the way toward a dying game with a niche community.

Offline Lech

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2011, 03:33:01 pm »
If a player chooses to play a build that forces him to use lighter armor (which makes him vulnerable to ranged and melee) why should we penalize him in gold? I have to say that when i pull out a sword and insta-kill most archers while leveling and only at power strike 2-3 there is a huge tradeoff they're making.

This whole issue seems a lot like "Some is playing the game differently than me and gaining different benefits i could have if i only chose to mimick their style. I do not wish to mimick their style so i want external forces to remove his benefit." This is not the way to a long lasting game with a solid community, it's the way toward a dying game with a niche community.

Archers gets benefit of easy kills at range, why should they pay less gold for upkeep than harder to play classes that have lower power level ?

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #59 on: May 31, 2011, 03:36:59 pm »
Here's my build:

HA:
Masterwork Strongbow - 7896
Bodkin Arrows - 2529
Bodkin Arrows - 2529
Bodkin Arrows - 2529
Well Bread Courser - 14864
Steppe Armour - 98
Nomad Boots - 118
Leather Gloves - 145

Ocassionally I'll trade out a set of bodkins for a Long Espada at - 5217

That totals a build worth - 30708 to 33396

Please don't make me more expensive  :(

Archers already pay shit loads of gold on bows and arrows. As an HA I don't earn much money unless I have at least a x3, often a x4 or x5 depending on my horse upkeep and time of rounds. We die easily to absoloutely anything that hits us. That's a trade off that I think is acceptable.

And to Lech. They aren't easy kills at range. Since the increased arc of arrows and nerf of damage it's not that easy to kill anything. A lot of what we do is softening up the enemy for you melee builds. Unless we get a decent head shot or someone has no armour. Archers have already been nerfed a lot the past few patches. Don't make it worse just because you aren't happy that you chose a build that benefits from heavy armour. If you don't like it, become an ATH build and rely on skill and speed rather than armour to absorb blows.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 03:42:18 pm by Overdriven »