Author Topic: Upkeep of different classes  (Read 6051 times)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Upkeep of different classes
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:31:08 pm »
My guess is it's because it's so much easier to grind gold on some builds than it is on others. Allow transfers between alts and soon you'll have everyone playing archer.

lolwut. Being an archer doesn't make you any more gold than any one else unless you're the type of person that wears the most expensive stuff every time you play.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:28:15 pm by okiN »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Why oh why!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 12:44:16 pm »
It's much easier to do well as an archer wearing just clothes than it is to do well as melee wearing just clothes, because armour is much more essential to that class's survival. On average, archers get a whole hell of a lot more gold.
Don't.

Offline Dioxete

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Den Bitre
  • Game nicks: Date
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:58:20 pm »
as an archer you have to pay upkeep for a great bow+2 great arrows ; If you do a low str build, and you wear a bardiche, or something rly cheap as a weapon and cheap clothes, you gain more cause you don't have to wear 2 bags of arrows+great bow ;:/

And you can do it well also as melee, with ninja clothes, ask ninjas YAHAHAHAHAH

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 01:01:48 pm »
lolwut. Being an archer doesn't make you any more gold than any one else unless you're the type of person that wears the most expensive stuff every time you play.

Lol !

Get your head out of your ass. Seriously.

The only thing you need to pay for is your bow, and a little for arrows too :

11100 for a warbow, which is the most expensive. Nearly all archers use that one, so there's plenty of archers using the most expensive equipment they can. There's no other class that can do that.

Now let's see a realistic cavalry equipment :

Courser 19818
Knightly Arming Sword 8944
Heraldic Mail with Tabard 7170
Open sallet 5645
Knightly Heather Shield 4328
Splinted Leather Greaves over mail 1817
Mail mittens 1376

An half decent cavalry loadout is 3x the total price of your archer equipment. Take a very bad horse and you can push it to 2.5x. A decent infantry loadout is roughly 2x more than the archery equivalent. When you want to survive to projectiles a little longer, you can easily add 10k.

So yes, money exchange between alts would certainly make up a little bit for the serious class imbalances caused by upkeep (see the numbers above).

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 01:09:55 pm »
as an archer you have to pay upkeep for a great bow+2 great arrows ; If you do a low str build, and you wear a bardiche, or something rly cheap as a weapon and cheap clothes, you gain more cause you don't have to wear 2 bags of arrows+great bow ;:/

How is using a top tier bow with expensive ammo in any way comparable to using minimal armour and cheap melee weapons? Stop being thick, it's obvious that archers pay the least upkeep on the whole. There's nothing stopping you from playing naked with a hunting bow, either, but it's hardly ideal.

And you can do it well also as melee, with ninja clothes, ask ninjas YAHAHAHAHAH

You can do well, but it's a lot harder. Ninjas generally get their asses kicked in group combat, they only thrive on backstabs. Even then the ninja loadout costs the same as a fairly high-end setup for a dedicated archer with no heavy armour.

Archers pay less upkeep, it's an established and completely self-evident fact. Please stop arguing and get back to the topic.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:16:57 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 01:16:45 pm »

Lol !

Get your head out of your ass. Seriously.

The only thing you need to pay for is your bow, and a little for arrows too :

11100 for a warbow, which is the most expensive. Nearly all archers use that one, so there's plenty of archers using the most expensive equipment they can. There's no other class that can do that.

Now let's see a realistic cavalry equipment :

Courser 19818
Knightly Arming Sword 8944
Heraldic Mail with Tabard 7170
Open sallet 5645
Knightly Heather Shield 4328
Splinted Leather Greaves over mail 1817
Mail mittens 1376

An half decent cavalry loadout is 3x the total price of your archer equipment. Take a very bad horse and you can push it to 2.5x. A decent infantry loadout is roughly 2x more than the archery equivalent. When you want to survive to projectiles a little longer, you can easily add 10k.

So yes, money exchange between alts would certainly make up a little bit for the serious class imbalances caused by upkeep (see the numbers above).

Depends on what you call a "realistic equipment"
On my cavalry character I use Rabati, Sarranid Leather armor, Leather gloves, sarranid leather boots
with a Arabian arming sword, round cavalry shield and a heavy lance.  And a courser, sometimes Sarranid warhorse, or arabian is it called now?

And it goes great on that character. income is no real issue.

When it comes to infantry is the same deal. Why do you believe full plate with Flameberge or whatever is a must?
We can see ninjas and other characters using leather & cheap mail doing fine.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 01:21:00 pm »
And another one completely misses the point.

Nobody's contesting the fact that it's entirely possible to turn a profit playing as infantry, and even cav. I know I do. But for every 10k my infantryman earns in his heavy mail, my lightly armoured archer earns 20k. That's the general case of affairs across the board, and you'd have to be an idiot to deny it.

If this discussion goes on any further, I'll split it into a separate thread.

Edit: done and done. Debate to your hearts' content. :P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 01:29:49 pm by okiN »
Don't.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 01:26:40 pm »
Depends on what you call a "realistic equipment"
On my cavalry character I use Rabati, Sarranid Leather armor, Leather gloves, sarranid leather boots
with a Arabian arming sword, round cavalry shield and a heavy lance.  And a courser, sometimes Sarranid warhorse, or arabian is it called now?

And it goes great on that character. income is no real issue.

When it comes to infantry is the same deal. Why do you believe full plate with Flameberge or whatever is a must?
We can see ninjas and other characters using leather & cheap mail doing fine.

Well, you can't use the JetPony with decent armor. It makes up for it anyway as it enables any noob to avoid everything, but it's cost is higher than a complete archer set lol (21982 gold). My example build is a 1h cav, that had to be also usable as a footman. So he got a medium armor. I can't afford anything higher anyway. And please correct your post, I never spoke about plate or flamberge or anything in that price category.

You should watch the few ninja clan members still playing more. They don't do fine when they can't backstab. They usually make up for their light armor with excellent blocking. A guy in heavier armor can also block very well. But ninjas are fucked up when it comes to ranged threats.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
Re: Why oh why!
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 01:28:22 pm »
Archers pay less upkeep, it's like this since the begining of upkeep, it was the first whine of melee guys...

To the OP, ofc everybody would like to transfer gold, equip and xp between alt, before retirement ppl wanted this to create a new build with some starting gear, now that we have to choose a main char, ppl want this to transfer all their gold and equip to keep only one char and to do trading, i guess it's too easy...

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
Re: Upkeep of different classes
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 01:31:30 pm »
Blondin: unfortunately I can't split your one post into two. You can do it yourself if you like. :)
Don't.

Offline Apsod

• Duke
  • Renown: 698
  • Infamy: 98
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Donate a few denari to the farmers of Calradia!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Apsod
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 01:32:19 pm »
Okin, you made me wanna create an archer when I retire :lol:

Offline Sharky

• Knight
  • Renown: 44
  • Infamy: 10
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Legione Italica
  • Game nicks: LEGIO_Sharkyborn_Sharkatron Legio_Lollia_Paolina Legio_Sharkatrower Legio_SharkaNukes
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 01:41:40 pm »
It's simpler to just raise the arrows and bows costs instead of having different upkeep based on classes.  :?

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 01:44:51 pm »
It's simpler to just raise the arrows and bows costs instead of having different upkeep based on classes.  :?

The thing is, if you do that, you risk killing armoured archery as a class. Top bow and arrows with mail could easily outstrip heavy cav in cost if you tried to balance light archers vs infantry players. It doesn't make a lot of sense.
Don't.

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2011, 01:49:57 pm »
The thing is, if you do that, you risk killing armoured archery as a class. Top bow and arrows with mail could easily outstrip heavy cav in cost if you tried to balance light archers vs infantry players. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Maybe we are trying to give sense to something that can't have. *hint*... *hint*... upkeep...

Besides, In 3 months I saw one and only one armoured archer. And that was Coldblood Revenant the bloody full str/PD archer. I think he changed char or stopped playing with the most recent patch.

Offline Erika_Furudo

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 01:51:03 pm »
Edit: done and done. Debate to your hearts' content. :P
Thanks.

Well, you can't use the JetPony with decent armor. It makes up for it anyway as it enables any noob to avoid everything, but it's cost is higher than a complete archer set lol (21982 gold). My example build is a 1h cav, that had to be also usable as a footman. So he got a medium armor. I can't afford anything higher anyway. And please correct your post, I never spoke about plate or flamberge or anything in that price category.

You should watch the few ninja clan members still playing more. They don't do fine when they can't backstab. They usually make up for their light armor with excellent blocking. A guy in heavier armor can also block very well. But ninjas are fucked up when it comes to ranged threats.
Sorry but by "you" I did not mean really you.
I meant people overall that believes having full plate and a high-end weapon is a must for a infantry otherwise your dead.

I know that not all ninja members are the best. I'm just saying there exist people that can do fine without any heavy gear. And some of them happened to be ninjas(or you notice them the best, isn't that irony since they are supposed to be ninjas?).
For example we have all seen Poop, Polepoop that is, (I believe it was him atleast) sometimes running around naked and still do great.  And he's not alone at that.

I'm just saying that just because you're a infantry or cav does not mean you are forced to wear high-end gear just to become decent/good.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:36:50 pm by Erika_Furudo »