Author Topic: Vary weight of arrows  (Read 309 times)

Offline ShinkuMoon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Vary weight of arrows
« on: October 20, 2014, 05:38:34 pm »
+1
I have to admit that I'm very happy about the newest nerf on ranges as a member of CQC warrior
However I think this is too much for ranges and concern about the extinction of them. They are facing a dilemma that they can't give enemies a hail of arrows like before, and when they turn to increase the accuracy, only to find they are too burden to rush into the battlefield or eschew from fatal situations, as inability to give a clear shot at great distance.

Since I am familiar only with archery, here are some suggestions to modify the arms of archers.
1. Same ammo of arrows. Different arrows should share same ammo, say, a dozen( that is the amount of arrows per quiver provided at one of my local archery club);
2. Vary the weight of different arrows. Different arrows have various arrowheads. Taking an example of tatar and bodkin arrows, the former may weigh relatively greater since the arrowhead is larger than the later. In this sense, the regular arrow may weigh least, then the barbed, the bodkin, and tatar weighs greatest( this is just an instance. I don't have the idea about how much exactly these arrows weigh in history).
3. They can't be that heavy! How could a quiver containing less a dozen arrows weighs as a huscarl's shield! According to my experience at the archery club, a quiver of a dozen of arrows is quite light actually. Taking consideration of the heavier material for an arrow in history(wood and iron rather than plastic or carbon fiber contemporary), they may at most weigh as a two-handed axe or greatsword.

Offline LordRichrich

• Count
  • Renown: 297
  • Infamy: 115
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Vary weight of arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 05:53:05 pm »
Balance over realism

/thread

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
Re: Vary weight of arrows
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:43 pm »
A thread in the balance forums passed to decrease the arrow weight down to 5-6, and they were steadily lowered from 10. Once it dropped to 7, kiting became problematic on the server. This is mostly a precaution now that archers are able to go up to 11 athletics pretty easily.

With these changes, kiting may not be as much of a problem, but it's a wait and see situation for how things develop.

-Easier respecs
-Buff to Ironflesh
-Cheaper heavy horses
-Less ammo + damage decrease hitting agi archer's longevity
-Better 0-2 difficulty shields

It may be worth looking into decreasing quiver weight again if these changes counterbalance the strategical advantage of quick/kiting archers.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:59:11 pm by San »