Author Topic: BUG: This Character Belongs to Someone Else.  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
BUG: This Character Belongs to Someone Else.
« on: May 22, 2011, 02:58:13 am »
http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7005/mb48o.jpg

Alright. I have a separate CD key and separate installation of Mount and blade, which I have been playing instant level 30 characters on. Everything was working fine, I could launch my steam version, play my normal characters. Then I could later go play my other install and play on my instant level 30. Everything was fine. I was having a bit of lag spikes, so I closed my game and went to reset my modem & router. I did, came back about 5 minutes later to play again.

But, to my surprise I could no longer play on my instant level 30. As soon as I connect, It verifies cd key, I load in to play, and I see the map and chat for a second or so -- then BAM it kicks me saying this character is not mine. No, I am not loading up my steam version and trying to log into the wrong character.

Is there some sort of secondary verification based on IP, which could have changed? I could delete my character and create it again probably, but that should not be the answer.
Any official word on what is going on? This happened yesterday so I waited to see if it would resolve on its own, but it has not.
I have a sneaking suspicion that since I have my normal account and this forum account linked, that since I visit here it is the cause? That I may need a separate forum login for my other install, lol.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:01:56 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline snsdSooyoung

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: BUG: This Character Belongs to Someone Else.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 06:08:31 am »
Created a forum account for it, called this.
proceeded to delete the character to recreate a new character to personally solve the issue.

but this is really gay.

Offline snsdSooyoung

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 06:55:28 am »
DOUBLE POST.
Ok, found solution to the issue.
They are both trying to use the same registry for CD keys. Which works fine until steam does it's verifications and forces it back to the other one.

So i just have to edit the registry every time i switch.

Offline Reellron

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:32:39 pm »
I experienced the same problem but after some work I found a relatively easy solution!

http://sots.rorschach.net/Steam#Steam_Invalid_CD_Key_Workaround

If you use the link, please note that the webpage actually is an answer to someone who had problems with another game so where it says "Sword of the stars", replace it with "Mount&Blade Warband" as I have in the spoiler below.

So basicly, as I understand it, the problem is that steam has the wrong CD-key connected to your Warband.. I think I got this problem from logging into a friends steamaccount and playing warband. I did manage to switch back and forth several times but suddenly it didn't work anymore.

Warning! This solution probably only works if you know your real Warband CD-key! Otherwise you'll probably have to reinstall steam and all instead. I got my key from a friend who logged into my account from his computer (which I had played from before, not sure if that's necessary though).

I've posted the solution in the spoiler below, the solution clears the CD-key from your Warband and should replace it with the one you type in, however, I had to enter the CD-key once I had started Warband, no biggie though!

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:34:00 am by Reellron »