Author Topic: The Great Turning Point  (Read 15014 times)

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
The Great Turning Point
« on: September 25, 2014, 04:29:00 pm »
+9
As many of you know, cRPG has been on the decline for... Like, a long time. Except now that is becoming more apparent as NA continues to have less and less people at primetime (NA1/NA2/etc), while EU shows even more inactivity. Certain issues (HA, 1H stab, Pole animations, Cav exploits, etc) remain unfixed and largely unaddressed by DonkeyCrew, while Strat continues to cause rifts between clans and players (more so than usual, at least).Neither is necessarily bad, but both present a different aspect to the mod in the coming months/years.

Bannerlord is starting to rear it's magnificent head in the field of medieval combat games (which will also likely replace cRPG and other mods of the previous game), while a new DLC for Warband is likely to add some new, interesting concepts to the somewhat dated game.

We are reaching a turning point in this mod. Wether cRPG will endure it's present issues and remain alive and kicking or if it will finally settle to a relatively inactive community with a few vets holding out, I don't know.
I would like, however, to listen to the input of everyone in the community about their opinions and what we can or can't do to keep this mod going or if we should let it fade away, or perhaps if things are just gonna stay the same perpetually.

So... Thoughts?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:18:33 am by Screaming Idiot »

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
Re: The Great Turning Point
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 04:30:47 pm »
+5
Max 20-30 people on EU 1 for the past week. Mod is ded
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 04:46:16 pm »
+29
Ummmm....

Fixing polearm animations and shit isn't going to do anything to inject a significant number of players into a game that is like 4 years old with a niche gameplay.  This is just the way it goes.  I don't know if you've ever played old games online, but I have.  It always goes this way.  First, a large number of players start leaving as they find other newer games to play.  A core of dedicated players stay, and the most stubborn hold on for a very long time (maybe even years after most people consider it dead).  But still, they stick around and the game is playable and fun.  This mod has a LOT of life left in it.  Don't expect full servers all the time, or even on weekends.  That is in the past.  I actually prefer small battles so my fun is not affected at all.  As long as there are peeps to play with I'm cool.  We've got plenty of peeps to play with.  20 is more than enough for me, and we usually have 50-70 on NA 1.

The game doesn't die.  Like a gracefully aging star phasing into a white dwarf -- it just becomes smaller and burns more intensely with the dedicated and skilled players keeping up the fight.  Mod is not ded -- it just transitions to a new phase of life.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »
+5
Tl;dr mod is ded

Offline Screaming Idiot

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HoC_Screaming_Idiot
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 05:19:39 pm »
+1
Fixing polearm animations and shit isn't going to do anything to inject a significant number of players into a game that is like 4 years old with a niche gameplay. 

I know, I was just citing a specific issue that has caused pressure for players to leave. Besides that, your post does illustrate quite well the current situation. I initiated this thread to try and start a discussion on what we could do to attract new people/keep old players if people still wanted to try and keep the mod more active (at least for a while), along with discussing why specifically things came to the current situation.
Plus, Bannerlord is coming out next year probably, so most people are probably going to QQM.  :wink:

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 05:23:10 pm »
+5
There is a time for everything I believe. Most of us will buy bannerlords+wait for a crpg-like mod, or also will buy MBG... This mod is going to die anyway, you can't avoid it, you can only delay it. Nothing is eternal, so let it die, and move on other stuff.

Offline stickher

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 54
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: _____
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 05:39:52 pm »
Tydeus thinks we are trolling when we ask for old crpg back but why dont you do it anyways. just answer one question did we have more players now or than. Now grow a pair and go do it. All the old players that quit were because the changes that happen and are keep happening. These changes aren't changes that got some people to quit and some to come back almost all of them quit all together. Its ok to make mistakes as long as you fix them.

Offline Zorak

• Knight
  • Renown: 58
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HoC_Zorak
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 05:44:09 pm »
+4
Pretty sure the reason for the recent low pop servers is Archeage.

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 05:44:22 pm »
+11
And once again, someone brings up the "Good ole days" argument. Immunity to reality is over 9000.

Truth is, Warband in general is old and thus, inevitably, has a shrinking playerbase.

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 06:10:24 pm »
+3
there are plenty of players that still play c-rpg in NA, the problem is that they hate playing it. most people I know play for about 30 mins then quit because everybody is max OP buildness and ranged situations were it's a no win scenario.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2014, 06:35:30 pm »
+1
Pole animations

What's wrong with pole animations, people keep saying it yet I don't know what they are talking about. Maybe maining polearm has blinded me to what ever it is.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2014, 06:43:41 pm »
+13
Honestly, pole arm overhead is way less broken than 1h stab.  They may be just as fast, but they have much less range and generally don't do 9000 pierce damage.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Bronto

• Head NA admin
  • King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 268
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 06:55:11 pm »
Crpg used to get hotfixed and patched almost every weekend. Now we get Tydeus fucking shit it up every so often but seriously what the fuck. At least put out updates Tydeus (and San) and deal with the aftermath. I haven't seen an update since I started playing again two weeks ago. We know your ideas are usually terrible but at least do something so we know you're still alive. Fuck up cavalry again or ranged. ANYTHING.

Offline Clockworkkiller

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 872
  • Infamy: 573
  • cRPG Player
  • I shit dopamine
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Clockworkkiller
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:57:37 pm »
+1
Maybe it's time to finally let the mod RIPinpeace?
You are a horrible human being clockwork.

If i ever get muted on forums, contact me on crpg.net

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 07:13:20 pm »
i blame weshouldservebeer

the people in that ts fucking DESTROYED this mod.
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE