Author Topic: Infantry movement sounds  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
Infantry movement sounds
« on: January 08, 2011, 08:43:47 pm »
We need some infantry movement sounds in game. Best in my opinion would be armor type specific sounds. Leather / cloth almost silent, mail somewhat noisy and plate the noisiest.
This vision came to me when I got ninja killed by infantry guys 4 times in an hour. 3 of those were heavies  :twisted:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
Re: Infantry movement sounds
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:17:40 am »
Actually sounds like a good idea! I would luv to hear the clank clank clank of tin cans through out the battle field :)
On it.

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 04:04:40 am »
It wouldn't have to even be that loud. Complete silence makes people in chain and plate able to pull out ninja attacks.

Offline Wiglaf

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 03:37:22 pm »
i like that idea very much.
as a larper i can tell you that there are huge differences in the sound, especially mail with plates is extremely loud. but we need really good soundfiles  as the 'realistic' platesounds would be getting on our nerves very quickly.

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • Renown: 39
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Rextard, Rextardero, CornstablePonyGaper, CornporalCannonFodder
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:28:44 am »
This thread needs a revival. Full plated knights creeping up on people, and taking them completely unaware, is still ridiculous.

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:10:43 am »
Tunnelvision?

Tbh, i love to stab archers when they believe they are alone and hided...they are so concentrated in their pew-pew. I don't kill them in oneshot with an overhead strike, cos i love to see them panic, trying to grab their weapon, but to late, second strike in the head, they die.

That's why, when i play my archer, i always take a look behind me...!! Oh tidle key i love you.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:13:48 am »
Then people will whine at other people who soundwhores with their epic headsets lol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 09:51:54 pm »
No not tunnelvision Blondin. Plated guys that can hide in nooks and crannies successfully, because when they move it makes no fucking sound, is not tunnel vision. It's having a ridiculously unfair advantage. As far as I'm concerned, as a behavior its no better than exploiting a bug that noone wants to fix. Scratch that, it is a bug that noone wants to fix.

There is no valid argument against implementing proper armor sounds. It should be done to balance armors if nothing else.

Have you ever actually tried moving silently in meat space?
a) It's a skill, it takes lots of practice to develop into anything meaningful. (ie understanding how to walk on various surfaces)
b) The heavier you are, the more layers you have on, the more weight you're carrying, the more unconcealed items you're carrying, the more unavoidably you WILL make noise. The less coordination (dexterity agility whatever) you have, the more noise you'll make. If your shoe/boot/greave soles are not soft and thin, guess what, a lot of unavoidable noise.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:53:10 pm by Rextard »

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 09:58:23 pm »
For disclaimer I should probably say that my personal gear is: mail hauberk, mail mittens, mail chausses and guard helmet. Therefore I would be one of those very noisy guys. This idea still needs implementing thought. This actually might also buff cav which would be unfortunate side effect. Keeping track of cav as it is impossible and coursers can take you from behind before you can even turn.

Offline Thalamond

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 10:12:16 pm »
This is a really cool idea. Not only for gameplay, but also for immersion. I really want to put fear in those lousy peasants when they can hear the cling clang from my heavy armor when charging towards them. Also i don't mind not being able to sneak. Let the people with light armor have more advantages  :)

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 10:28:40 pm »
+1

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 10:45:59 pm »
+5, getting backstabbed by plated fellows is very annoying
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 12:46:12 am »
Rextard i agree with you, remain silent while moving is a skill, be silent while moving with plate armor is impossible.
But who said that we fight in a silent area? we are on a battlefield, there is noise everywhere, ppl fightiing, ppl shouting, ppl dying, cav, teammate with plate armor, etc.

I don't say that it's a bad idea but i'm not sure that it will fit with this type of game, it's a battle not a blackops operation.
I can't imagine the noise at spawn, i should turn off sound the first 30sec of each round.

if ppl are too unaware then they deserve to die on a battlefield, i don't speak only of archers, infantry aswell.

ps : i wear tribal outfit and leatherboots almost everytime.

Offline Noble Crassius

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Long live the Han
    • View Profile
    • http://rotk.ws/
  • Faction: Han Empire
  • Game nicks: Han_Ling, SiegeSome, Fallen_Knight
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 03:48:53 am »

But who said that we fight in a silent area? we are on a battlefield, there is noise everywhere, ppl fightiing, ppl shouting, ppl dying, cav, teammate with plate armor, etc.

Thing is half those sounds are not present if they were I might actually feel like i'm in a loud as fuck battle instead of the morning after a frat party. idk bout you but my games pretty silent unless im 5 feet away from the fuck fest.
On it.

Offline Rextard

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 05:49:01 am »
I find the same Joxer.

It should be about awareness, but currently the only decent means of awareness is the visual aspect of the game, which is a shame since video games only give us stimuli for sight and hearing anyway.

Talking RL again, even in cloth you -can- still make enough noise to give yourself away at ten or fifteen feet, depending on ambient noise, and how well your target can hear (a snow hat can reduce your hearing a little, think what a metal helm would do).

Moving silently is all about how you move and take advantage of the energy around you.  Very few people lurk along noiselessly at even normal walking speed, on favorable terrain.