Poll

Removing bushes is cheating?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Is removing bushes ingame something we should consider cheating?  (Read 12301 times)

Offline Donkey_Thrower

• Baron
  • Renown: 80
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Official Master of Donkey Throwing
    • View Profile
    • Donkey Facts!
  • Faction: Donkey Trap All Stars/Federal Burro of Information
  • Game nicks: Donkey_Thrower, Donker, DonkStar_Donkey_Thrower
  • IRC nick: Donkey_Thrower
Re: Is removing bushes ingame something we should consider cheating?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 01:12:36 am »
the only way this can be detected is by observation.  I say ban them if you catch them doing something shady like this.

Kind of like ESP or any other memory based cheats, undetectable but an active admin should be able to sniff it out
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Donkey thrower official Master of Donkey Throwing.
Support Donkey Armor!!! http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/plated-donkey/

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 01:15:36 am »
devs should really add a simple file check so people cant do this or alter the game files in any fashion.  adopted mods like heirloom pack could be checked for integrity as well

Like we really need to keep giving players a reason to leave

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 01:21:20 am »
+16
we had several leeeeengthy threads about this in the past - and it is still the same thing:
some idiots need their epeen and try to "win" by using flat vegetation (very clear on that battle map with the huge grass - a certain cav player is ALWAYS lancing in there with pinpoint accuracy where he shouldn't be able to see shit...), transparent walls, rain/fog removal, etc.

As long range archer it is your job to take up firing positions with good cover - and after some time you realize: there is no such thing in c-rpg, because around 30% of the players across all classes are using one or more cheats of this sort.

This has been known for a long time, AFAIK it would be easy to fix (make list of allowed mods or integrate them into the official release, check file integrity at every launch), but obviously nobody has ever seen the need for it, "cuz fuck realism".

Of course a file check CAN be circumvented, but that is way harder than just editing a couple of files, and would reduce this sort of nonsense.
Way better than leave it to (never biased and never brocoding and never otherwise "not so objective") admins...
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline lombardsoup

• Earl
  • Renown: 387
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 01:36:58 am »
Way better than leave it to (never biased and never brocoding and never otherwise "not so objective") admins...

crpg is 100% brocoding, that hasn't changed in four years and likely won't for the foreseeable future, you might as well not even bother

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 01:59:17 am »
+3
Devs themselves introduced a "red banner over the enemies' heads" feature with WSE 2, not much different from removing the bushes.

My point is - both should be forbidden.

Offline Jeade

• Duke
  • Renown: 569
  • Infamy: 38
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Caleb's a liar.
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
  • Game nicks: MAGA_Jeade, Gregory_McFin, Frat_Lion
  • IRC nick: Jeade
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 02:00:51 am »
+1
hiding isn't a viable strategy

NARMY still accepting applications.

(click to show/hide)

Offline GOBBLINKINGREATLEADER

• King
  • Renown: 1509
  • Infamy: 515
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Daruvian, GOBBLINKINGGREATLEADER
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 02:54:31 am »
+2
Well first of all in response to Digglez and Hirlok;

A whitelist/blacklist for textures that is applied at startup wouldn't be enough, because people could easily circumvent that. Textures/meshes can be replaced once the game has already started and when you enter multiplayer/a server your textures/meshes load. There would have to be a check every time a player tries to enter a server.

That is to say even if we had a startup check for a whitelist of client-side files, people could still just replace textures once their game is started. You could literally just keep a folder with all your normal textures and a folder with all your neon pink textures, and just swap it out once your past the check and your multiplayer match will load the neon pink textures. It would take a cheater like two extra button clicks and 8 seconds.

The other problem is that you are crimping the creative freedom of cRPG players who want to design items for themselves or the public, or just mod the game to have fun.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 05:44:11 am »
It is dumb and makes your game look dumb and you can top the scoreboard without being dumb like this.

Blacklist/whitelist would, as daruvian said, fuck over the guy that just wants to make his sword look like a lightsaber or use custom armor. The cheaters could bypass it with no effort. It would be a waste of devs' time.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 06:01:19 am »
Yes but its not against the rules afaik

That's easily changed.

People get banned for lot's of things here that aren't specifically spelled out in the rules.

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 06:03:15 am »
+2
Like we really need to keep giving players a reason to leave

If players can't compete without hacks and cheats then they should fuck off.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 06:12:23 am »
+1
If players can't compete with players who use hacks and cheats they should fuck off.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 06:16:08 am »
If players can't use hacks and cheats they should fuck off.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Battlepriest

• Scene Manager
  • Renown: 440
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • hi how are you doing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: hesse
  • Game nicks: hesse_judie, skot_judas
  • IRC nick: sweet potato
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 06:39:10 am »
+1
how can we play hide and seek without bushes :(

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 08:36:24 am »
+1
It's not that I really care about being killed. I am rather bad at the game, so I do die a lot.
The reason I made this thread is that it was never that obvious to me that someone is using something to gain an unfair advantage.

Never seen an autoblocker, never seen someone using macros (maybe simply not able to spot it) and never before did I see someone who played obviously without vegetation.

Personally, I dunno if it's a good idea to leave it to the admins. There is a high chance that someone gets banned for just being lucky/good. On the other hand, if an admin feels comfortable and secure enough to endure the following shit storm in here, I wouldn't mind either. Kinda torn between the two options.

Guess we'll just have to deal with it. I sure am more aware now after seeing it "live".
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 09:13:44 am »
+2
i would gladly accept instructions how to remove bushes, i dont see why some people would have that advantage over the others.
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.