Author Topic: Shield bash  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
Re: Shield bash
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 02:50:21 am »
+1
It's a bit tricky, with the current nudge speeds I probably wouldn't advise giving bashes any meaningful damage unless it's a counter to a swing since it would at least incur a lot of risk or require more timing. I've seen people reliably counter neutral nudges with held swings, though it requires good ping. Having enough ATH/AGI to make it look like nudge hit detection whiffs just by circling someone seems very common though. I guess it's some sort of mismatch between what the client sees for their turn direction vs what the server sees.

I'd prefer some sort of hit detection improvement over damage adjustments, though some things like pommel strike and shield attack nudge could probably use additional tweaking after that.

If you really want to tinker with nudge damages with the current animations I'd suggest the following:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: Shield bash
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 11:59:13 pm »
It's a bit tricky, with the current nudge speeds I probably wouldn't advise giving bashes any meaningful damage unless it's a counter to a swing since it would at least incur a lot of risk or require more timing. I've seen people reliably counter neutral nudges with held swings, though it requires good ping. Having enough ATH/AGI to make it look like nudge hit detection whiffs just by circling someone seems very common though. I guess it's some sort of mismatch between what the client sees for their turn direction vs what the server sees.

This man speaks the truth. The current damage is fine; enough to chip away at archers and ninjas, but practically zero for everyone else. It's the inexplicable whiffs that get me killed, so I'd recommend making the reach a function of shield height, so the hitbox would at least match up more closely with the animation on the screen. With the tall kite/pavise/board shields, nudges that appear to chop right through someone's head don't actually connect. It would also give non-round shields a niche besides retarded cavalry forcefield (which you should remove while you are at it).