Author Topic: Add the unbalanced tag to the HEAVY 4D polearms.  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
Add the unbalanced tag to the HEAVY 4D polearms.
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:47:32 am »
+5
IMO, all the 4D polearms should be unbalanced and pretty slow, but each hit should be a shock hit.

I suggest that you add the unbalanced tag to every 4D polearm, and decrease their speed A LOT.

But on the other hand, each polearm should inflict a lot of damage and they should stun for an X amount of time , ill give you some examples.

GREAT LONG AXE

weapon length: 125
weight: 5
difficulty: 18
speed rating: 83
weapon length: 125
thrust damage: 20 blunt
swing damage: 60 cut
slots: 2
Can't use on horseback
Bonus against Shield

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:58:41 am by Panos_the_Bear »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
Re: Add the unbalanced tag to all the 4D polearms.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:50:59 am »
+3
So let's take the weapon class with the most variety and make them extremely boring in a way that tons of people don't even like. Some of your suggestions are alright, this one is utter crap. Polearms allow for a variety of styles. A war spear for example should never be unbalanced, and same for a lot of polearms, thats why they are held as they are, for this reason.

Offline Panos_

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:52:39 am »
I mean the normal 4D polearms, not the spears.

Long Bardiche, Long Axe, GLA, Poleaxe, GPoleaxe, etc etc

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:53:29 am »
+2
I wouldn't say all 4D polearms, but the heaviest ones shouldn't be spammable. I think the stun is a good trade-off.

Offline Panos_

• King
    • View Profile
Re: Add the unbalanced tag to the HEAVY 4D polearms.
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:59:03 am »
fixed the OP abit to make things clearer.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 12:08:08 pm »
+3
It's a nice idea but the QQ it would generate would be monumental
I don't know enough

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:35:28 pm »
+2
The fewer unbalanced weapons the better. Its not really a fun game mechanic imo and puts unnecessary limits on people. It also has a bigger impact on those with higher pings

Better to balance with speed or other stats
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 01:09:45 pm »
+1
That would make them all so very similar, slow hard hitting axes. Killing variety no thank you.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 01:36:45 pm »
Instead of them all being fast hard hitting axes? Where's the variety in this again? Lol. For all this talk of variety, there sure are a lot of people rocking identical builds with identical playstyles and armour class choices. All of your opinions on these threads are to maintain the status quo because it suits that same generic playstyle, hiding behind the 'it kills variety' argument, when all you want is current generic builds that EVERYONE uses to stay top dog.

Best troll ever would be if chadz removed everyone's stats ingame and gave them native agility and strength, but kept the website working. I wonder how many months before people would ACTUALLY notice that their stats were the same as everyone else. Probably a long time, people would still chat shit about builds. Because the simple fact is, 90% of the community has pretty much the same build already, changing things to make people change to different builds and playstyles is kinda the opposite of killing variety.

+1 to OP, if you wanna spam use a 1hand, tassel spear or katana. Piss off out of the manly bardiche class of weapon, we dont want your spam.

Doesnt kill them, only makes them all go 2h. Which most are already anyways. This just kills off half the weapons in polearm category.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 02:01:30 pm »
Only some weapons, and it hardly kills them, it just stops people using them like 2handers. The only people who would consider this 'killing' half the weapons in their category are the ones who treat polearms like greatswords and spam away. In that sense they might as well go 2hand or adapt and play polearms how they're meant to be played. Or of course, grab one of the many polearms that arent effected.

Have a little faith, every suggestion thread seems to feature you saying 'It'll kill variety', the mod isn't perfect, just because something has been possible up to this point does not automatically make it a good thing. We have a wave of new players coming in finally, maybe that's what we need to finally get rid of 'But it's always been like that, you'll ruin those old playstyles' kind of arguments. Let's make this mod look better for the new players, not support shitty mechanics just because they're so easy to abuse and we hate change.

So with this decision i can chose either a slow long hard hitting axe, or a short slow hard hitting axe? both unbalanced aswell, easy choice if you ask me. Currently its more like, do i want to hit hard with a single hit and possibly outrange, or hit decently hard, but fast and spammable but playing in kick range.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 02:40:03 pm »
Long axe in real life was a very well balanced weapon iirc

Im not sure, polearms are mainly used by s keyers so having them weapon stun & do more damage doesnt seem like a good solution to me.

I do agree that some rediculously big polearms could use something akin to what u suggested.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 02:52:10 pm »
If he got spammed by a long bardiche then thats his own fault for playing like shit because polearms dont really spam well except long axe and hafted blade, unlike 2h which can do crazy instant spams. This isnt realistic, its competative, if you cant counter simple spam then you have to work on that and become stronk player. Spamming will exist even if weapons are slowed down, and with slow weapons fights will last forever with every attack being easily blocked. Spam is good because it forces you to consider how to fight a spammy player etc.

Was that spam on NA server or eu? because i can imagine ping playing a role in that.

Offline Godfredus

• Knight
  • Renown: 76
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Selling +3 Two Handed Warhammer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 03:26:42 pm »
1) all the 4D polearms should be unbalanced
2) and pretty slow
3) but each hit should be a shock hit.
4) they should stun for an X amount of time

All 'let's take all X and make them Y' are bad ideas, except nerfing archery of course  :lol:
I converted your preposition to 4 points and will say this:

1) Error, people learned to fight with polearms and weapon masters produced balanced good polearms, even for nobles.
I will take the poleaxe argument as my defence. Turning all the polearms to unbalanced will destroy the beauty of differences between polearms and styles of polearm users and the truth of class specification, I mean: hoplites like it with shield and pierce, knights use expensive balanced fast poleaxes and vikings use terrible deadly great stunning axes.
2) Speed reduction may be a good contra for using a powerful weapon (as it is for the great maul), but powerful axes are already do too much damage, so we can just slow great/long axes down, except poleaxes (which are supposed to be fast and balanced and dealing a lot of damage, they should be more expensive, though, like 20k. Or we can take away their stun effect but make them cheaper or crushthrough(!!!) in the secondary mode), and make them unbalanced.
3) We have already polearm stun which is deadly in battle due to 3vs1, if a player survives just the first hit, which is not always happen.
4) see 3)

I see a buff request behind this, and the one which will bring damage to the variety of arms and styles.

Offline Huscarlton_Banks

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
  • Blatant nudge spammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 06:22:08 pm »
I'd prefer adding more weapons that add more playstyles than replacing existing ones, but I do agree that slow/heavy hitting/block stunning 4D polearms would add some interesting variety.

Same goes for 1h, though I imagine it'd be harder to balance unless shields were disabled for them. Heck, I'd be happy if I were able to use morningstar one-handed without a shield, even with all the penalties.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 07:37:57 pm »
+1
I can imagine generic fucked up connection, footwork and attack speed all played a roll. Polearms can spam just fine if they're 'balanced' that's the point. I used to go EU3 and just do overheads with a long bardiche, never stop swinging, won a lot of duels that way cos people misjudge reach, speed and overheads in general are fucked.

This game is too broken to be competitive. Games that truly become competitive are ones with solid mechanics - relatively simple and well executed games. Is it being 'competitive' in your eyes any reason not to fix the more broken mechanics?

Games with abusable mechanics will usually make them competative because better players are the ones who use them efficiently. Adds a lot to learn to the game. Dota 2 for example has so many small spell dodges that dont seem to have been intentional but still add to the game.

Also i doubt unbalanced will stop spam, only feints.