Author Topic: Buffing Hafted Blades on horseback  (Read 1907 times)

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
Re: Buffing Hafted Blades on horseback
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 11:25:43 am »
Are most of your kills 1-2 hits? Do you even bother trying to take on the longer poles with great rear ability?
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 11:54:18 am »
Yep, well, I guess a slight damage buff to counter the -40% damage might be nice, but LHB on horseback actually is very viable and by far the most fun cav class, if not the most fun class.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • Renown: 922
  • Infamy: 361
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Britfag
  • Game nicks: Strudog
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 11:58:35 am »
+1
Are most of your kills 1-2 hits? Do you even bother trying to take on the longer poles with great rear ability?

its 2-3 hits with 6 PS and maybe more for heavily armoured guys, i only take on pole guys if they are not looking even then that's very risky, i tend to hunt down the archers.
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Little girls are FBI agents.
Those are the rules no?

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 02:24:07 pm »
+1
i tend to hunt down the archers.

Skyrim UI

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 03:37:28 pm »
+1
Should be MUCH faster. Sad to me that lances cant be swung too. Polearms from horseback were historically top fucking notch. Watch Seven Samurai, couple of guys in that are using LHB from horseback and they are spamming like crazy. Watching that, I checked japanese martial history: was a popular weapon, widely used by samurai.
I don't know enough

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 03:43:57 pm »
its 2-3 hits with 6 PS and maybe more for heavily armoured guys, i only take on pole guys if they are not looking even then that's very risky, i tend to hunt down the archers.
We can test it somedays on eu3 with my armor if you want strudog. Just let me know.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 04:15:59 pm »
We can test it somedays on eu3 with my armor if you want strudog. Just let me know.

Would be up for it as well.
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 05:37:37 pm »
That's due to the nature of cav being able to double your damage. Using the damage reporter, I saw 1h/2h cav dealing 100-130 raw damage, while a LHB dealt 50-70, 80 if I was lucky, all with 15-21 builds. Slashing when you're still tells you how much damage you're really doing without speed bonus. My final performance in an afternoon was 1.4:1. I was able to get top 3 a surprising amount, but the damage was so low that I rarely got kills. Instead, most of my success came from downing other horses to acquire points.

I might try playing on it some more to get a better understanding, probably with a pure cav build of 15-24 or 18-21 this time. Left swing when facing the right side also has a peculiar hitbox in front of you.

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 08:01:44 pm »
+2
I think a slight damage buff is all it needs. Speed adjustments would help making it easier for people who literally just started using the LHB on horseback, but it would be sad to see it being mass abused, so leave the speed as it is, make people play it a lot to get into it. Then they will be rewarded with a huge amount of fun.

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 10:36:30 pm »
I think a slight damage buff is all it needs. Speed adjustments would help making it easier for people who literally just started using the LHB on horseback, but it would be sad to see it being mass abused, so leave the speed as it is, make people play it a lot to get into it. Then they will be rewarded with a huge amount of fun.

This

That's due to the nature of cav being able to double your damage. Using the damage reporter, I saw 1h/2h cav dealing 100-130 raw damage, while a LHB dealt 50-70, 80 if I was lucky, all with 15-21 builds. Slashing when you're still tells you how much damage you're really doing without speed bonus. My final performance in an afternoon was 1.4:1. I was able to get top 3 a surprising amount, but the damage was so low that I rarely got kills. Instead, most of my success came from downing other horses to acquire points.

I might try playing on it some more to get a better understanding, probably with a pure cav build of 15-24 or 18-21 this time. Left swing when facing the right side also has a peculiar hitbox in front of you.

Yes i agree, im starting to top of the scoreboard with decent amount of kills, 10+, all it needs is a slight dmg buff, 18 STR+ is what you need to use in terms of build, 15 STr glances too much
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Those are the rules no?

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 11:08:54 pm »
18-21 it is, thanks!

Offline Switchtense

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 11:29:37 pm »
18-21 it is, thanks!

Yep, that is why I have been using. Works well!

Offline San

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 03:36:33 pm »
I tried it again and did much better, ~3.9 performance across 7-8 maps. Strudog, your advice was very helpful, since I kept aiming at those diagonally in front of me before and had to change my thought processes. Ranged are also absurdly easy to hit if they don't have enough time to switch to a melee weapon.

The angles are awkward, but I eventually adjusted to the speed. I think that the penalty should just be halved to 20% for now,  maybe even 25%, and will bring this up whenever the next opportunity arises that makes it possible to change.

Offline PsychoTwins

• Earl
  • Renown: 453
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: FarmerBob, NinjaBob, 20PingIsHardBob, StrIsHardBob, HaxorBob
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 03:50:51 pm »
I think that the penalty should just be halved to 20% for now,  maybe even 25%, and will bring this up whenever the next opportunity arises that makes it possible to change.

Agreed, theres no way the LHB on cav should take a huge dmg penalty compared to lance cav and 1h cav.
Here, dear crpg folk, we have an honest man who doesn't conceal the truth out of the fear of getting nerfed. He surely deserves a round of heartfelt applause.

Offline Strudog

• Marshall
  • A Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 04:18:24 pm »
+1
I tried it again and did much better, ~3.9 performance across 7-8 maps. Strudog, your advice was very helpful, since I kept aiming at those diagonally in front of me before and had to change my thought processes. Ranged are also absurdly easy to hit if they don't have enough time to switch to a melee weapon.

The angles are awkward, but I eventually adjusted to the speed. I think that the penalty should just be halved to 20% for now,  maybe even 25%, and will bring this up whenever the next opportunity arises that makes it possible to change.

Glad I could help, seems like a reasonable change to me, seems like it will be the most balanced class of all, it's a lot of fun, I will play it solidly from now on and hopefully put up a thread in the beginners section about how to play the class, once I am more experienced with it.

Hopefully with you and switch's help we could put up a good thread.
This is the internet.
Men are men
Women are men
Those are the rules no?