Author Topic: Just played skyrim...  (Read 5468 times)

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
Just played skyrim...
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:33 pm »
+7
Can someone explain why the fuck is this goty 2011? Sure graphics and environments are nice, but thats it.

The combat is godawful, I bad mouthed dark souls 2 combat for being clumsy, but this game...OH HOLY SWEET JESUS THIS GAME!!!
It made me weep. 2011 and game devs have not yet figured out how to give players some proper melee combat experience. Mount and blade warband combat may be a bit buggy, but it shits all over the Skyrim combat.

The story is non existent. And so forgetable, that all I can remember is some shit about dragonborn and how dragons have re-apeared. No game before made worse first impression on me like this game did.

Overall, this game is glorified benchmarking tool, sorta like Crysis (except that choking gooks was at least a bit fun).

Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Just played skyrim...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 09:12:19 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:50:11 pm »
+4
Skyrim is only worth playing with at least a dozen mods. Vanilla is pretty meh. I enjoyed it first time around but that was as a sneaky archer, the melee combat is just bad. Mod priority should be any of the ones that modify combat. Also dragon mods, they are pathetic in vanilla, they should be terrifying encounters not routine.

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 10:02:42 pm »
+3
Yeah, I agree with most everything you said.  It was pretty damn awful all things considered.  Skyrim only made GOTY, in my opinion, because the video-game market is now driven primarily by the casual gamer demographic;  and casual gamers are very easy to impress.  With the simplicity of the market at large many developers just don't feel the need to spend a lot of time working on their story or gameplay anymore.  So what we get is, more often than not, a polished turd.  Those who can still remember how video games used to be recognize it as a turd right away.  The majority of "gamers", however, only care that it is sparkly on the outside.

I don't expect this trend to change any time soon.  In a decade or so all you'll have to do to get the price of a video game out of the average gamer is jingle your keys in front of their face.  I can only hope that respectable studios like CD Projekt Red will manage to stay the course and continue to bring us games with good stories and gameplay.  I'm paranoid, though, of the shit-juggernauts like EA and Ubisoft buying them up and raping their IP's (think Mass Effect and Dragon Age).

[To anyone reading this that thinks this viewpoint sounds arrogant or offensive...fuck you fucking fuck for helping to ruin one of the few hobbies in this world that I enjoy.  I hope your "mother" gets testicular cancer.]

WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 10:25:32 pm »
+5
[To anyone reading this that thinks this viewpoint sounds arrogant or offensive...fuck you fucking fuck for helping to ruin one of the few hobbies in this world that I enjoy.  I hope your "mother" gets testicular cancer.]

It's not arrogant or offensive, just sounds pathetically spergy. Get a girlfriend you sad nerd.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Tibe

• King
  • Renown: 1335
  • Infamy: 287
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 10:32:26 pm »
+1
I liked it. Say what you will about the combat and everything, but I had my fun. Same say basically every other person that has played it and ive talked to. The shittalking has started now, years later, when everyones overplayed it.

I think you are really undermining it for no reason Nehvar. I wouldnt call it a "polished turd" and for simple minded casual gamers.  I agree, its not as great as it first appeared and its definately not the greatest game ever made, but really, compare it to any other game ever made and its more than solid. You cant really name a lot of open world games that are better than Skyrim. You cant really blame anyone for it being simple either. Cant throw sophisticated complex games like "Dwarf fortress" in the market and expect a gigantic profit or even a small handshake. Even Morrowind is too much for most people's patience.

And lol Nightmare. You played Skyrim now? And you are shitmouthing about combat? The combat was same shit back in Oblivion so that was no suprise to noone. Man you really live in a cave dont you.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:34:52 pm »
+9
Don't think Elder Scrolls games ever had good combat. Its more about the open world (go where you like, do what you want), immersive environment, stuff like that

Main issue I have playing Skyrim is how much junk you collect and then having to manage it all in a house. Too much loot
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:16:18 pm »
+1
It was immersive and fun despite its flaws. Besides what else was there? (darksouls wasn't out on PC). There is almost no competition in the RPG space.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 11:34:33 pm »
It was great.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:47:05 pm »
+7
Morrowind had even worse combat, and it didn't prevent it from being one of if not the best open world RPG ever, something Skyrim is not and never could be. I think talking about combat is valid criticism against Skyrim, however there are many more important flaws in that game.

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2014, 11:55:20 pm »
Take gaming less seriuz yo. Enjoy the mountain ridges yo.
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 12:10:04 am »
Play Fallout: New Vegas instead.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 12:19:54 am »
+3
It was immersive untill you got attacked by a dragon that dies within a minute. Oh and then another dragon spawns every 3 minutes.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 12:37:26 am »
its definately not the greatest game ever made, but really, compare it to any other game ever made and its more than solid.

I can see that there has been good ammount of effort put into the graphics, but that is it. The main problem is, that they went once again with modified gamebryo. Gamebryo was fucking outdated after fallout 3 came out, let alone 2011. It is the same as it was with Dragon age origins, that used neverwinter nights engine (simplistic dungeons and dragons engine). But Dragon age made up for it with outstanding story telling, lenght and lore.

This game has awful story presentation (maybe the lore is solid). Sure it may be fun to some to run around huge landscape, exploring for caves and hideouts, bagging everything you can. But it quickly becomes repetitive, especially with combat in such state it is as of now.

You cant really name a lot of open world games that are better than Skyrim. You cant really blame anyone for it being simple either. Cant throw sophisticated complex games like "Dwarf fortress" in the market and expect a gigantic profit or even a small handshake. Even Morrowind is too much for most people's patience.

Two worlds series, risen, gothic series, assasins creed series...
I have played many open world games, and most of them kept me going.

And lol Nightmare. You played Skyrim now? And you are shitmouthing about combat? The combat was same shit back in Oblivion so that was no suprise to noone. Man you really live in a cave dont you.

Combat in oblivion was shit, and it was shit too in morrowind (I liked the equipment system in morrowind though, it was awesome). I did not say that I particluarly enjoyed any game in the Elder scrolls series, but this game was the GOTY, the supposedly uber awesome game. The game that nobody dared to give 9/10 or less, for the fear that rabid fanboys would burn down their house and kill their family. Unfortunatelly, I cant really say that I approve most of the review scores games get nowadays.

Difference in this game and any earlier elder scrolls installment is, that none of them were supposedly the best game of the year they were released.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 03:57:17 pm by Nightmare798 »
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 12:42:14 am »
Play Fallout: New Vegas instead.

I tried. for some reason this game runs worse on my system than Battlefield 3 and assasins creed revelations.

EDIT: Sorry, double posted.