Author Topic: New player expirience/help devs/help noobs  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
New player expirience/help devs/help noobs
« on: June 28, 2014, 04:09:16 pm »
+3
I could put that in sugestion forum but fuck that dead place that shiet is important.

Everyone know how hard is to play as peasant with low level and how it can throw out players away from the mod.

Point of that topic is simple, post your ideas that will help new player get in to crpg.
How we can help them enjoy CRPG.
Simple ideas are the best one(for lazy people) remember that!
I like to sugest new system for new player:

(click to show/hide)

/ingrisch bada me apololoizing

I was inspired by Panos thread
http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/promote-the-mod-to-mod-sites/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:12:58 pm by Rebelyell »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Algarn

• King
  • Renown: 1230
  • Infamy: 268
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Algarn, Jorick
Re: New player expirience/help devs/help noobs
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 05:08:19 pm »
Give everyone under level 25 double XP, triple XP and 1.5 times more gold if the lad is under gen 4. Also, give new player a loompoint to help them instead of giving 500 gold.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:28:43 pm »
+2
Loompoint will be wasted..

Maybe give them 3 after first gen? Very little can hurt the mod atm.. :)

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Kalp

• Marshall
  • Renown: 750
  • Infamy: 253
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Form ranks, you maggots!
    • View Profile
    • Kahhhaaargaar!!! Uuurrr!!!
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Kalp_the_Grey
  • IRC nick: Kalp
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 05:32:41 pm »
When I started I was a peasant too. And my first kill was at lvl 17 with pitch fork :mrgreen: It's a salt of this mod. Each game is somehow difficult at the beginning. If you give them a loompoint or gold, even quadruple exp you think it will help them to stay in mod longer than few days when they can't enjoy being at peasant stage for some time ?
The goal of Strategus battles shouldnt be to deprive your enemies of players, but to have full roster both sides and have the gear/tactics/strategy win the day rather than lack of merc support.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 05:34:42 pm »
+2
My suggestion is simple, although I suppose implementing it might not be as much: reverse the generation xp bonus, so, if you are gen. 1, you will level up the fastest, and, as you retire and your generation increases, you will level up slower.

This way beginners will catch up with veterans much faster, and, with the new standard double xp, levelling up with a high gen wouldn't be so bad anyway. It will also make levelling up alts less of a pain.

I've just realised that this could bring problems, like people abandoning their high gen. characters to retire with new characters, that would level up faster and there would probably be an heirloom boom.

How about, instead, the generation xp bonus is removed and you get max xp since gen 1, so the grind will be less painful for our alts and for beginners?

Currently, levelling up a character with a low generation is a pain, compared to one with a high generation, and maybe this made sense in cRPG origins, but, today, apart from the level, gear and skill difference between veterans and new players, the latter also have to play much more to get to the same level as veterans.

I think you should level up as fast as someone with max. gen. since the beginning, and leave the generation stat as something aesthetic (to count your retirements).

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 05:56:28 pm »
+2
Some current video guides (with voice over!) would be good :P

Just a little something to get people started, grasp the basics etc.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline StonedSteel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 717
  • Infamy: 400
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 07:02:21 pm »
+1
I came to crpg after being a dominant warband player for years. Being new, in crpg...IS COMPLETE HELL, and i had the option of lvling up on DTV back when  it was alive in NA.

Now that DTV is dead NA, new players have no where else to go, they are thrown into the meatgrinder known as na 1, and i tell you, even the best \ greatest warband player could come to crpg, idc how good you are, if you are new, you dont stand a chance against my gothic plate and bec

Why wear gothic plate and bec 24\7? 1, to get my revenge for all the horrible times i had as a new player,

2, to show the new players exactly what this mod is the moment they get here...ie you can be good, but you will be facing people with superior gear, superior weapons, YOU DONT STAND A CHANCE!

I was lucky, i had DTV back when dtv was freeroam, then Fips changed that, and NA dtv died that day and has not comeback ( NA DOES NOT LIKE NEW DTV, GIVE US BACK FREEROAM )

But i got to go somewhere and lvl, \ had somewhere fun to go when i got tired of being stomped on by players i cant even hurt.

Without DTV or siege, new players have nowhere to go\no hope in staying, they come, see how gay NA 1 is, and leave in the same day.
I REMEMBER PLAYING IN RAIN
THROUGH THE NIGHTFALL WITH FOG
THAT CLOGGED UP OUR EYES
BUT IM MORE HORRIFIED OF A MOD
I NO LONGER RECOGNIZE

Offline Khako

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • 왕자 사물을 보는 김정은
    • View Profile
    • Best Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 10:37:23 pm »
+1
I first started crpg early this year and hated it. I didn't get a kill until I was lvl 20ish and I believe my KD was 1-50 at that point. Having no gear and very low income to get any really ruins it. It doesn't help that the majority of players see a peasant and gun for the free kill. The guides in the Beginner's subforum badly need an update as well.
Dear Leader of Best Korea

Offline tisjester

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: TitsJester
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 10:18:21 pm »
+3
The difficulty of getting into this mod actually ATTRACTED me to it in the beginning.

Certain types of people like working towards being good some day.

I don't think handing out lps is a good idear, then you're really encouraging people to make multiple accounts.

I know when I was new I could have avoided so much wasted xp and wasted gold if I used STF characters effectively.
I thought I'd be wasting my time on a FAKE character, but you actually save time when you're constantly respecing, and buying every weapon you wanna try.

I think a message that strongly recommends STF characters for new players could do wonders.
Maybe raise the STF gold to 20k instead of 10lk.

Edit: And explain upkeep.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:23:14 pm by tisjester »

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 10:26:08 pm »
Nerf ranged. Seriously how fun is it to get hit by someone you don't even see, who kills in 1 or 2 hits as a newbie. Who can then still wreck you in melee. HA/HX are just ridiculously cheesy, remove that shit

Remove stat increase from lvls 31-36. So you just get the extra skill point. Or something else that limits high levels. People feel like they can't retire without then getting destroyed by high level characters

New accounts should start with some XP
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 03:31:10 pm »
+1
Nerf ranged. Seriously how fun is it to get hit by someone you don't even see, who kills in 1 or 2 hits as a newbie. Who can then still wreck you in melee. HA/HX are just ridiculously cheesy, remove that shit

Remove stat increase from lvls 31-36. So you just get the extra skill point. Or something else that limits high levels. People feel like they can't retire without then getting destroyed by high level characters

New accounts should start with some XP
First of all, its not the place to speak about archers.
Secondly, they don't need to be nerfed. They are just too many.
About HX, they shouldn't be able to reload while riding. (@ Napoleonic Wars managed it perfectly)

About the cap level idea, sorry but, it's the worst idea i have ever heard.
Players spent hours, days, months to get this level. When others decided to get more looms in order to adapt to the situation.
And as it has been already said, an experienced player level 30 can easly beat a player level 33-34.
Go Native if you want the same level... I mean really ...

And for the good ideas about the help for the new players, go to the saxon thread.

Cya FrenchKiss

Edit: here the link :
http://forum.melee.org/general-discussion/help-crpg-grow!-(give-idea's)-includes-new-player-comments/

Offline F i n

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1148
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Hi
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fin
  • IRC nick: Fin
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 03:36:25 pm »
+4
Some current video guides (with voice over!) would be good :P

Just a little something to get people started, grasp the basics etc.

old lady - fin voice overs? :D
"Life was easier as a borderline alcoholic." (chadz, 2016)

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 03:41:37 pm »
old lady - fin voice overs? :D
Plx No, i don't want to have nightmares again.