Author Topic: What happened to Umbra?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
Re: What happened to Umbra?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2014, 04:20:07 pm »
You don't have to "fix" anyone, just be tolerant. You show a lack of maturity with that kind of attitude.

And you show a lack of intolerance for his intolerance.

The world aint a Utopia, there will always be people who will hate my old friends, blacks, Greeks etc etc, deal with it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »
+2
You can't really label mental illness like that, like its some huge negative entity out to cause harm. Its people like Steven Fry (bipolar), people like this: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-neuroscientist-who-discovered-he-was-a-psychopath-180947814/?no-ist

Everyone has quirks. Just because some quirks have a name attached to them doesn't make them evil or out to get you

Plus you make huge assumptions about someone over the internet like you're some armchair psychologist :D .
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline enigmatic_stranger

• King
  • Renown: 1118
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2014, 04:22:27 pm »
+4
And you show a lack of experience. How do you "tolerate" a psychopath, a sociopath, a narcissist? Even something as "benign" as borderline personality disorder. They're the closest thing to actual evil. Obviously you've never interacted with anyone on that spectrum for any length of time.
So... What are you going to do? Throw some more insults over internet?

Offline Panos_

• იოსებ ბესარიონის ძე სტალინი
  • King
  • Renown: 2006
  • Infamy: 885
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • Come and get couched, Turk!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vyzantion (Palaiologos Era)
  • Game nicks: Panos_the_TurkSlayer
  • IRC nick: THE_PANOS
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 04:25:20 pm »
You can't really label mental illness like that, like its some huge negative entity out to cause harm. Its people like Steven Fry (bipolar), people like this: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-neuroscientist-who-discovered-he-was-a-psychopath-180947814/?no-ist
Everyone has quirks. Just because some quirks have a name attached to them doesn't make them evil or out to get you

Why not? Labeling people is not prohibited by any law. Sure, it`s immoral, but not illegal.
And AFAIK, some mental illnesses can cause harm, as in schizophrenia or paranoia or self injury disorder.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 04:32:53 pm »
+1
http://abcnews.go.com/US/santa-barbara-shooters-father-pens-letter-victims-families/story?id=24319895

It has been one month and three days since my son, Elliot, did the unthinkable. There has not been one conscious second that I haven’t been thinking about the pain and suffering he caused for so many. The ripple affect of his actions has spread to countless thousands. I mourn for the loss of the young women and young men whose lives he ended. I feel for the victims and their families more than for the loss of my own son.

I do mourn for the lonely boy Elliot was, who disappeared because of a monster of an illness in him that none of us knew was so severe. I wish I could turn the clock back. There are so many “If only’s.”

I tried my best to do my duty as a father, but obviously my best was not enough. My duty now is to do as much as I can to try and stop this from happening again. Too many lives are being lost. Law enforcement professionals, teachers and health workers on the frontlines of the mental health crisis bear too much of a burden. And countless families struggle in silence with the consequences of mental illness each day.

We have to try and stop this. It will be a long journey involving the personal choices of individuals and families, public discussions, mental health reforms, a change in the culture – you name it. My sincere hope is that I can help by telling my story.

None of us understood what was in Elliot’s head – he hid it from not only his family, but also from mental health professionals and law enforcement. Looking back now through a tragic hindsight, I have begun to understand that there are traits, markers if you will, that family members can look out for in loved ones.

It’s important to note that the vast majority of mentally ill people are not violent. I am only speaking from my perspective and in the hope that families may be informed, vigilant and more able to take action. I am painfully and honestly trying to both reflect and learn more about what markers matter most. I am sharing my story and my initial reflections in an effort to save others from the kind of pain and suffering that Elliot caused.

To help families, I’ve created a small website with resources on mental illness and a place to share stories called AskForHelp.org. I hope you find the resources on that site useful. It is just a start and by no means comprehensive. I am just doing what I can under the circumstances with the help of family and friends. My simple message is, if in doubt about a family member, please ask for help.

Sincerely,

Peter Rodger

Obviously Elliot Rodgers just needed more tolerance and love, not heavy medication.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2014, 04:35:47 pm »
Why not? Labeling people is not prohibited by any law. Sure, it`s immoral, but not illegal.
And AFAIK, some mental illnesses can cause harm, as in schizophrenia or paranoia or self injury disorder.

There's an entire field devoted to that. Criminal psychology has hundreds and hundreds of peer researched studies on the subject. But it's a lot easier to preach hippy love and tolerance bullshit when it doesn't affect you at all than actually get informed.

Offline Tomas_Miles_again

• Earl
  • Renown: 317
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
  • Game nicks: None anymore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2014, 04:48:07 pm »
+5
Not sure what this has to do with your vitriolic focus on Leshma. You really could have reacted in a better way a lot of times. Even when you argue with rationale and logic, there is a load of venom bundled up with it when you could have just taken the less personal angle.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2014, 04:53:28 pm »
Not sure what this has to do with your vitriolic focus on Leshma. You really could have reacted in a better way a lot of times. Even when you argue with rationale and logic, there is a load of venom bundled up with it when you could have just taken the less personal angle.

I'm done "debating" with Leshma. There's no rhyme or reason to any of his bullshit. I have no interest in taking the less personal angle with this person.

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2014, 05:01:23 pm »
+4
Why not simply ignore him if it's that bad?

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 05:32:29 pm »
+6
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 05:52:16 pm »
+4
I don't have a lot of sympathy for mentally ill people.

Ye dude, that is a cool opinion to have. Glad that you put that out there now I now what a cool dude u are.

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 05:54:40 pm »
+2
I honestly don't see the problem with this statement.
It's not like he said "I'll beat 'em where I meet 'em!"

Personally, I don't have a lot of sympathy for those "I tell everyone that I'm totally gay" people.
Don't think that makes me a bad person now :lol:
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 06:02:48 pm »
"Mental illness" is kind of a wide net to cast. I tried to specify particularly damaging ones like psychopathy or narcissism, but something like autism or asperger's could conceivably fit under that umbrella. They are objectively not nearly as bad or even bad at all in most cases. 

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 06:08:25 pm »
+1
I honestly don't see the problem with this statement.
It's not like he said "I'll beat 'em where I meet 'em!"

Personally, I don't have a lot of sympathy for those "I tell everyone that I'm totally gay" people.
Don't think that makes me a bad person now :lol:

Depends on what you are lacking sympathy for. Being a gay person who is extremely confident in their sexuality isn't something to be sympathetic towards in terms of pity or sorrow. But I think you can understand on a level that it's great to be able to be yourself. Which would make you sympathetic in a different way.

Not sure whether you meant you don't pity ""I tell everyone that I'm totally gay" people" or whether you meant you don't understand ""I tell everyone that I'm totally gay" people".

Offline the real god emperor

• King
  • Renown: 1630
  • Infamy: 348
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • Et tu, Brute?
    • View Profile
    • Click for gifts
  • Faction: Rome
  • Game nicks: Captain_Sweden
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 06:10:57 pm »
+7
OUR MAIN PROBLEM IS UMBRA HERE, NO ONE NEEDS ANOTHER LESHMA CRYBABY THREAD.
FREE UMBRA