Author Topic: New PC build.  (Read 761 times)

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
New PC build.
« on: June 19, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »
+1
Hi,

I am planning on getting new PC, was thinking about something like this:
CPU: Intel CORE I5-4670K 3.4GHz LGA1150 BOX HASWEL
GPU: MSI GTX 770, 2GB DDR5 (256 Bit)
MOBo: Asus Z97-K
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
PSU: some XFX most likely

I'll use HDD. SSD and Ram from my old PC. On some PC forums people recommend buying AMD r9 280x instead of GTX 770, I am honestly not sure wich to pick, and suggestions on that? Do you guys have any experience with both od these graphics cards?

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: New PC build.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 03:26:14 pm »
Nice rig!  :mrgreen: And with the new mobo/chipset!  :mrgreen: GIEF! Its the same one as ive been thinking to get, now ill wait and hear your reviews  :mrgreen:

I havent tried either GPU but IMO. you should indeed (re)consider the i7-4770K instead of the i5. I know its more money, but you will eventually upgrade the i5 to i7 anyway and then its double expense.

BTW. what SSD. is it you have? Do you like it? I have a Plextor 128GB (PX-128M5P) I think its O.K. cheap, fast and everything. I do get BSOD once in a while but not at all often. Cant help thinking that the new SSDs with the new intel controllers is better though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 03:37:31 pm by Sniger »

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 03:50:38 pm »
+2

BTW. what SSD. is it you have?

It's samsung ssd 830, I bought it over a year ago, no problems so far.
About the i7, honestly I don't think it's worth to buy if I will use only for gaming, and some other basic stuff like browsing internet. watching movies as it's pretty much all what I need PC for, i5 is powerfull enough I guess.

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:57:22 pm »
+2
i5 is far enough, especially for the price of i7....

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:04:49 pm »
+1
I am not even sure if it's not worth to save some cash on i5 4670k and just get the i5 4590 and some cheaper mobo, and spent the saved money on better gpu.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:06:06 pm »
I am not even sure if it's not worth to save some cash on i5 4670k and just get the i5 4590 and some cheaper mobo, and spent the saved money on better gpu.

yeah, actually, either that OR i7 instead of i5 (think of the OC man!! :p) :) IMO

edit: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_z97_a_and_z97_deluxe_motherboard_review,11.html its pretty silly  :lol:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 04:08:57 pm »
+1
Make sure to leave yourself improvement options when you (inevitably) will want to game at 4K.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 04:18:41 pm »
Make sure to leave yourself improvement options when you (inevitably) will want to game at 4K.

So, what do you suggest?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 04:27:27 pm »
+1
I guess that means making sure you have space for a second GPU in SLI/CF, that the mobo supports it etc. even though you only buy one right now.

Offline Tigero

• Knight
  • Renown: 57
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player
  • Respecer, Dictator of holy virginal defenders
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 04:56:17 pm »
+1
Hi,

I am planning on getting new PC, was thinking about something like this:
CPU: Intel CORE I5-4670K 3.4GHz LGA1150 BOX HASWEL
GPU: MSI GTX 770, 2GB DDR5 (256 Bit)
MOBo: Asus Z97-K
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
PSU: some XFX most likely

I'll use HDD. SSD and Ram from my old PC. On some PC forums people recommend buying AMD r9 280x instead of GTX 770, I am honestly not sure wich to pick, and suggestions on that? Do you guys have any experience with both od these graphics cards?

Seems decent otherwise but DON'T buy XFX psu's, they are shit and will very surely start ticking and churning after a year or so. Me and my friend both bought xfx core 450W PSUs and BOTH started ticking at about 1 year of usage. On my case it caused major inteference with all televisions and my mobo voltage meter showed radical changes in 5.5v line. thankfully no harm was done. Our cases are not the only ones, spend a couple tens more and buy a decent psu, jonnyguru is an exellent site for in-depth psu tests.

PS. if you want to go a little cheaper make an ivy build, the diffrence to haswells is almost unexistent in gaming especially and you save some bucks.

Oh and I'd say go with the 770, Nvidias are simply way more advanced cards and support more features than AMD counter(feits)parts like Shadowplay which optionally saves you gaming to a buffer for up to over ten minutes so you never miss a moment and the quality is top notch. Oh and literally makes only a 1-5fps drop if you aren't maxing the fps on your game.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 05:00:40 pm by Tigero »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The humor might be fun for u, but it is fun on behalf of others.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 05:03:17 pm »
+1
Seems decent otherwise but DON'T buy XFX psu's, they are shit and will very surely start ticking and churning after a year or so. Me and my friend both bought xfx core 450W PSUs and BOTH started ticking at about 1 year of usage. On my case it caused major inteference with all televisions and my mobo voltage meter showed radical changes in 5.5v line. thankfully no harm was done. Our cases are not the only ones, spend a couple tens more and buy a decent psu, jonnyguru is an exellent site for in-depth psu tests.

Lol wat. Most XFX PSU are actually rebranded Seasonic, which is one of the best PSU manufacturers worldwide.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2193
  • Infamy: 774
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 07:03:51 pm »
+1
Couldn't pick the worse moment to upgrade your PC. Unless you're going on vacation.

Should i buy the i5 4670k or wait for the 4690k?

New nVidia cards (GTX870/880) are expected to arrive October/November this year and will run circles around GTX770. Second gen Maxwell architecture bro, first gen Maxwell is 50% more efficient than Kepler. Personally expect same scenario like 2007. when 8800GTX was revealed (it was more than two times faster than 7950GTX). There are hints they'll be using ARM cores as well, Tegra/GeForce fusion. Reason for all that are of course SteamOS and SteamMachines.

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 07:41:44 pm »
Thinking this way I would still keep my old AMD Duron 800 while waiting for Intel Skylake wich is going to be released in 2016.
The thing is that we don't know anything about about specification of new cards, what we can exepct is much power power per watt performance, wich is of course great, but are they going to be much more powerfull than current gtx 770/780 we'll see, what is confirmend they will be still manufactured in 28nm. Besides, gtx 770 seems to be powerfull enough to run any game with 1080p at decent fps. I guess I'll be fine with it for at least a year untill the prices of new graphics cards will stabilize at some reasonable level, as it's not really something unexpected if they will be overpriced at least twice at the release date.
About the 4690k, it should be available within a week or two, so most likely I will get it.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2164
  • Infamy: 367
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 08:05:14 pm »
+1
Current graphics cards are overpriced, thanks to bit-coin mining. I expect lower prices and serious performance boost, because PC will go 4K in next 12-24 months. 1080p is console level of fidelity.

Smart thing to do is to spend money of budget machine and then upgrade it when necessary. You don't really need i5 and GTX770 for 1080p 60 fps in most games. Console games that will arrive on PC will be un-optimized garbage (EA/Ubisoft/Activision ports). Not sure about GTAV.

R7 265 + 6300 + cheap and solid mobo + rest of the stuff could cost you only a portion of money you'll spend on your desired build, but will probably serve you just as well. Buying expensive mobo is big mistake because they change sockets every CPU generation.

Edit: You don't even need 6300, some old Athlon X4 or Phenom II will do the trick. If you managed to buy them dirt cheap.

Edit2: Don't listen to cmp, he's the kind of person who ALWAYS has the best parts in his PC. I'm the one who buys new PC every 5 years or so, that is why I think timing is the most important.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:12:17 pm by Leshma »

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 08:27:21 pm »
+1
If you are going to get a 4670k get a Z87 motherboard, should be cheaper.
Z97 are for the haswell refresh chips (4690/k & 4790/k; which should run cooler and OC better).

R9 280X is the 7970 from last gen, clock for clock mostly.
GTX 770 is an OCed 680 from last gen.

They run pretty much the same, except the 280X sucks when you have more than 1 of them.
Out of the two, I'd go for a 770.

If your budget can stretch though, the sapphire tri-x R9 290 is worth a look :p.

Try and get an ASUS or EVGA card, they tend to have better warranties and coolers. (Gigabyte is also solid, MSI is better than stock, but cheapo).
ASUS DCU II is one the best cards imo (depending on price); tends to OC like a beast and runs very cool. Downside is it doesn't blow out the back so much, just disperses it. With that current case and enough fans, I wouldn't worry though.

Also from what I've gathered, the 800 series is going to be focused on being more efficient, I wouldn't expect >10-15% ontop of the current range. (Considering they are stuck at 28nm for now)

Unless you plan on gaming at 1440p or above, I wouldn't worry about those cards too much.