Author Topic: so my headphones broke  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
Re: so my headphones broke
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2014, 02:28:16 pm »
+1
Going 4 years with a 24 euro set of headphones, tell me when your 300 euro headphones lasted you 48 years.

WTF some people use 300 euros for headphones? Just for comparison you would get a pair of top notch, active studio monitors if you'd add another 100€ to that. Such better audio, much sound wow. I rest my case.

A pair of these eargasm generators:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2014, 02:40:14 pm »
(click to show/hide)
These links are discussing earphones in general, not specifically the type that fits deeper inside your ear. They argue that the lack of outside noise dampening makes earphones more dangerous than actual headphones. If you use that reasoning than in-ear earphones are actually a better choice than regular earphones as they close of your ear against outside noise, allowing you to put the music on a lower volume.

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2014, 03:51:33 pm »
If you read what i posted in the spoiler, its the part where they explain why the "earburds*" are worse
generally because we are using it in the wrong way.
Ppl mainly keep the volume at the same level, even if normally with this in-ear they should lower it.
So i agree on your point, but in fact, the effect is still here.

earburds* = headphones IN EAR

But of course, headphones are more dangerous than headset.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2014, 05:13:24 pm »
If you read what i posted in the spoiler, its the part where they explain why the "earburds*" are worse
generally because we are using it in the wrong way.
Ppl mainly keep the volume at the same level, even if normally with this in-ear they should lower it.
So i agree on your point, but in fact, the effect is still here.

earburds* = headphones IN EAR

But of course, headphones are more dangerous than headset.

Earbuds* = Earbuds. Many types. Some of them you plug inside your ear canal and they block outside sounds a bit like ear plugs. The traditional earbuds don't go inside your ear canal.

Headphones = Headphones

A set of good speakers = Best option for enjoying audio in your house, period. Plus your ears don't get "tired" as fast as they do with headphones.

Also coffee is more dangerous than water but damn sometimes I just need coffee. Earbuds and headphones aren't going to kill your hearing if you keep the volume at reasonable levels just like the coffee isn't going to kill me if I don't drink 50 liters of it every day :D.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 05:44:33 pm »
Here's IMHO literally the two best headsets, one is wireless the other is cabled:

Logitech G930 {Wireless} — http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g930-7-1-wireless-gaming-headset

Great headset, I've just ordered a new one a few days ago. Good size, sound, no delay, excellent range and it won't burn off your ears after long term use. Look it up on Google and you'll find a lot of great reviews.

beyerdynamic MMX 300 {Cable} — http://www.beyerdynamic.com/shop/hah/headphones-and-headsets/gaming/mmx-300.html

This is almost twice the price of the Logitech headset but in return you get literally the best cabled headset available. It's built with avionics parts used for helicopters so you'll get an awesome microphone, top notch noise cancellation, and a headset where you can literally sit in peace without anything around you being annoying.
A great headset for ignoring everything around you.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 06:05:26 pm »
WTF some people use 300 euros for headphones? Just for comparison you would get a pair of top notch, active studio monitors if you'd add another 100€ to that. Such better audio, much sound wow. I rest my case.

why would you use studio monitors for listening to music or playing video games? Studio monitors are designed to provide a clear 'flat' sound where you can hear all frequencies alike, so you can mix raw material. They are not designed to provide a fat 'Hifi' sound.

Also I don't agree that Speakers are generally better for enjoying music. I prefer Speakers in general but listening to music with good Headphones can be very intense and it is much easier to listen to small instrumental details, stereo mix and panning.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:08:34 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 07:09:47 pm »
why would you use studio monitors for listening to music or playing video games? Studio monitors are designed to provide a clear 'flat' sound where you can hear all frequencies alike, so you can mix raw material. They are not designed to provide a fat 'Hifi' sound.

Also I don't agree that Speakers are generally better for enjoying music. I prefer Speakers in general but listening to music with good Headphones can be very intense and it is much easier to listen to small instrumental details, stereo mix and panning.

I would buy studio monitors because I would use them to produce my own material. It's also the way I want to enjoy music. Precise and tight sound so I can hear everything. Just threw that in there since 300 euros for headphones seems like a major rip off to me. Everkistus has a set of Genelec's (subwoofer included) at his place. They are considered as studio monitors as well. I don't see why they aren't "Hifi" enough for music, movies and games. They sound awesome!

Maybe I just don't understand headphones... Never liked them and probably never will.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2014, 07:30:11 pm »
+1
Headphones are in many cases a necessity. I'd like to use speakers too, because it's way more convenient and better for the ears (right ?). However, that would make too much noise for most environments I'm playing in.

Offline Sagar

• Earl
  • Renown: 463
  • Infamy: 279
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bogumili
  • Game nicks: Sagar
  • IRC nick: Sagar
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 07:33:57 pm »
I recommended you to look here, these are models under $50.
http://www.squidoo.com/best-headphones-under-50

I have Superlux HD668B, (I paid them 35 €) and I'm more than satisfied with them.

Superlux also have other great models, but HD668B are really good.

There is many reviews for this model, here is one:

Superlux HD 668B: A Giant Killer?
http://www.headfonia.com/superlux-hd668b/

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:56 pm »
+1
I would buy studio monitors because I would use them to produce my own material. It's also the way I want to enjoy music. Precise and tight sound so I can hear everything. Just threw that in there since 300 euros for headphones seems like a major rip off to me. Everkistus has a set of Genelec's (subwoofer included) at his place. They are considered as studio monitors as well. I don't see why they aren't "Hifi" enough for music, movies and games. They sound awesome!

Of course it is possible that studio monitors can sound Hifi, or that you simply prefer the way they sound. I just wanted to mention this, because people often think that studio monitors mean better sound in general because of the professional use. But if the monitors really fulfill their purpose, it should be the opposite in theory.

Studio= linear frequencies, steril sound and a limited 'room', so you have to sit right in front of them.
Hifi = slightly different frequencies (matter of taste), more 'fat' sound and a different spaciousness, so should have a better sound in your whole room.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2014, 10:31:02 pm »
Studio= linear frequencies, steril sound and a limited 'room', so you have to sit right in front of them.
Hifi = slightly different frequencies (matter of taste), more 'fat' sound and a different spaciousness, so should have a better sound in your whole room.

Yeah it's an endless pit of taste and preferences if we start discussing Hifi speakers. It doesn't even end there. "You should have Ron Jeremy thickness pure gold wire to connect the speakers to your amp and digital optic super duper terminator batman 5000 cable to connect that to the source." :D

That's one of the reasons why I want to get just a pair of good studio monitors and be done with it. All I need is a good reference point so I know what the fuck I'm doing. I'm always and constantly trying to analyze the sound of records I like and I'm thinking how I could replicate it or make something similar. That's why I want the speaker's own sound out of the equation as much as possible even if I'm just listening to stuff.