Author Topic: Need help with Building Comp!*Help!  (Read 1049 times)

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • Renown: 304
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mango
  • Game nicks: Soft_Juicy_Mango
  • IRC nick: Kev
Need help with Building Comp!*Help!
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:23:08 am »
+4
Well their comes a time in every cheap fat American's life when he has to buy a new magic box aka computer.
It's time to put down my Toshiba 2010 laptop with the shittiest VIDEO CARD $(#&$% Waste of money comp
I've done some research but i want to know what are the best builds out there. I'm looking for a comp at the 400-800$ range

I would appreciate if someone explains every single component in the simplest way possible as i'm not nerdy enough to understand :(

Few questions
AMD or Intel for CPU? What are the differences? For intel i understand i5 is better then i3 and i7 is better then both and so on but FOR AMD IM LOST!!

For Motherboards i see cheap and expensive ones but whats the difference between cheap and expensive ones

Why are SSD Drives so unreliable at the moment?

What is best Hybrid,SSD,Hard drive?

Idk what the hell to look for when it comes to video cards! NEED a lot of help here

Power supplies..? Does it really matter which one i get?

Towers? Mid? The bigger the tower the more space for upgrades?

RAM! Do 2 sticks of 8GB run faster then just 1 stick of 16GB?
IF i have a lot of RAM do i need to upgrade my CPU or something else to keep up with it?

Any good sites where i can get the good shit for lower prices?

wow so much questions  :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
Re: Need help with Building Comp!*Help!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 02:27:57 am »
http://www.scan.co.uk/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Johammeth

• King
  • Renown: 1077
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ConnectiKUTT
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:28:51 am »
+4
newegg
newegg
newegg

www.newegg.com

Offline Joseph Porta

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 234
  • cRPG Player
  • (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻. take all my upvotes! Part-time retard
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild Enthousiast,
  • Game nicks: Wy can't I upvote my own posts, Im a fucken genius, yo.
  • IRC nick: Joseph_Porta
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 02:31:35 am »
i challenge to duel
I loot corpses of their golden teeth.
But he'll be around somewhere between Heaven and The Devil, because neither of them will take him in, and he'll be farting loudly and singing a filthy song.

i'll be there at around
chadztime™

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile

Offline //saxon

• King
  • Renown: 1339
  • Infamy: 181
  • I'm just to dam goood 😎
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Saxon
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 02:38:40 am »
+1
EU Prices 0_o
use it mainly searching for stuff, then buy it off somewhere else.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 02:43:54 am »
+5
Few questions
AMD or Intel for CPU? What are the differences? For intel i understand i5 is better then i3 and i7 is better then both and so on but FOR AMD IM LOST!!
Currently, it seems that Intel CPUs completely dominate the field and are the only ones worth getting, if you care about performance.

They're not, not really. Cheaper ones might not be too durable though, afaik.

Matter of opinion. IMHO, having a ~120gb SSD system drive and a larger harddrive for storage and applications is best.

Idk what the hell to look for when it comes to video cards! NEED a lot of help here
Generally, just picking the top thing in what fits in your price range works. Nvidia or ATI is mostly a matter of opinion and preferences. ATI might be more bang for buck in most cases, but has worse drivers and overall support.

You just need enough to power your machine. You do want to get one from a reputable company, though, PSU failures are no joke.

IF i have a lot of RAM do i need to upgrade my CPU or something else to keep up with it?
Not really, no.

If you have a LOT of RAM, it most likely won't be used fully.
[/quote]

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 02:52:33 am »
+2
Currently, it seems that Intel CPUs completely dominate the field and are the only ones worth getting, if you care about performance.
They're not, not really. Cheaper ones might not be too durable though, afaik.
Matter of opinion. IMHO, having a ~120gb SSD system drive and a larger harddrive for storage and applications is best.
Generally, just picking the top thing in what fits in your price range works. Nvidia or ATI is mostly a matter of opinion and preferences. ATI might be more bang for buck in most cases, but has worse drivers and overall support.
You just need enough to power your machine. You do want to get one from a reputable company, though, PSU failures are no joke.
Not really, no.

If you have a LOT of RAM, it most likely won't be used fully.

Great thanks!

newegg
newegg
newegg

www.newegg.com

Only the most known site!!!

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
http://www.pcpartpicker.com/

Taser gave me the first site (ty taser  :D) Idk if the page is always kept up to day but probably is
2nd site is awesome thanks!

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 04:03:14 am »
+6
Few questions

While intel are generally accepted as the 'better' cpus, I have always used AMD and have never had any issues. You can get much more bang for you buck. The only time you are really missing out is if you want super high-end maximized performance all across the board. Intel is most definitely better, but the price gap between comparable cpu's is just too large to ignore. So I vote AMD. And for AMD you will want to go with the FX series.

For Motherboards i see cheap and expensive ones but whats the difference between cheap and expensive ones

The difference between cheap and expensice is generally the slots and their quality. How many USB 3.0 vs 2.0 for example. Or how many RAM slots (DDR3 vs DDR2 quality), and what latency and clock speed RAM it can handle. How many SATA ports? What quality SATA ports? Etc, etc. Really find everything else you want first, and then find a motherboard that marries them all together successfully. **Keep in mind finding RAM clock speed info on the motherboard can sometimes be difficult, as you will run into false advertising sometimes. This is kind of an issue across the board, but I have only personally encountered it here.**

They aren't unreliable. Expensive as fuck? Hell yeah. Maybe if you find some super duper cheap one being shipped straight out of tawain with no brand name on it, it might not be the best of quality. Assuming it's more than a cardboard cut-out to begin with. In my opinion go with a hybrid drive (really any will do) or simply a high-er end old fashioned harddrive. Remember to not only take into account its capacity, but its rpm as well.

You decide. You and only you know what you need to get out of it. How many gigs do you want/need? Terabytes? Are you impatient or patient when things (games) load?

For the same reasons as the cpu, for my gpu I always use AMD. Also, I have been using them for a long while now, and the only nvidia card I ever had was the only one I ever had issues with. Call it brand loyalty if you will, but it is still more bang for your buck in this department. I find it more difficult to directly compare nvidia vs radeon gpus since they are built very different. Since intel and AMD share technology their chips are pretty much the same, with only some small tweaks done by each company. Nvidia and AMD dont share tech, so naturally their cards are much more different. If you want to go with an AMD, I would suggest somewhere in the 79XX range. AMD uses an easy system to 'rank' their chips' quality. The first number (7 in this case) is the series number. The higher this number, the newer it is. The second and 3rd numbers essentially tell you the quality, with 9 and 9 being the best. I THINK the last number is always a 0. So right now, the 'best' Radeon card (afaik... I've ben out of the loop for a while, could be wrong) would be the 7990. I've got the 7970 I think, and it is quite sufficient.

Simply make sure that your psu can handle what you're putting in the case. 750W should be more than enough, 1kW if you are going crazy. Get a relatively high-rated one on newegg, their reviews are generally accurate. Thermaltake is my personal favorite brand, iirc. Somethings to look for in a psu would be an 80plus rating, which basically means its more efficient (save money on electric bill). Also to keep wire clutter down to a minimum having a modular PSU helps. This means you can choose which wires you need instead of having all the wires included sprouting out of the psu taking up precious space.

Towers? Mid? The bigger the tower the more space for upgrades?

I always get a standard sized tower (medium, I guess?). I also don't spend a penny more than I have to. My last two cases have been under $40 each. The first one I foolishly got a rosewill (newegg's generic brand). The damn thing fell apart on me after 3-4 years without me even touching it (other than the power button). My second one (coolermaster brand) cost $35 and has survived a bed falling on it (only a minor scratch, didn't even dent), in addition to countless trips from home to apartment to home to dorm to home to dorm, etc. Anyone who swears by some $150+ case is simply trying to show off imo (sorry if this applies to anyone who posted here, I didn't actually read anything). The only difference between a cheap(er) case and an absurdly overpriced one is the number of LEDs and windows the two cases have. Obviously getting that sweet, sweet underglow on your computer is worth an extra ben franklin.  :rolleyes: The only time expensive cases are worth it is when they have superior cable management, or come with actually decent quality fans. Cable management is a luxury, not a necessity. It won't make your computer run fast, hence why I never make it my priority. I spend my budget on what actually counts. I would run my computer out of a plastic bin if I had to. Fans on the other hand are hit or miss. I find that the more fans a case comes with, the lower quality they usually are. Not to mention some cases put fans in the most ridiculous, useless places. Best bet would be to buy a cheap case and 1, 2, maybe 3 fans tops of your own choosing and arrange them how you want.

My current case is:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227&cm_re=coolermaster_case-_-11-119-227-_-Product
I am quite happy with it. I got it for 10 bucks less than the sale price it has now, but it is still not a bad price for what you are getting. (It even has a window and a cool blue fan! Top shit!)

Should be about the same. However, you do NOT want to simply max out your RAM capacity by buying the cheapest 16gb RAM available. Spend your money wisely. Get RAM with a high clock speed and a good latency as well. For example I opted for only 8 gigs of RAM, but with a high clock speed and low latency.

A simple google search will tell you if your cpu can handle the RAM you want to get. The main issue would be the support from the motherboard and the clock speed of the RAM. Odds are the mobo will be able to use it, however if you spend a lot to get 2100MHz clockspeed on your RAM, then make sure that the mobo can support that speed. Mine was supposed to by simply changing a setting in the BIOS. Turns out it can't... gg false advertising. So make sure if you spend extra to get a higher quality RAM the mobo can support its full features.

Pretty much everything has already been said I bet. Newegg of course is where you want to look to buy stuff. Personally, I would wait for a huge sale though. I never buy stuff if it isn't on sale. Although then again, newegg kind of has perpetual sales going. Very rarely tigerdirect will have a better sale, however they usually scam you with their ridiculous shipping rates compared to newegg's usually free shipping. I think in all my time building comps I've only bought from tigerdirect once, and it only saved be a couple bucks in the end, despite the item being listed as 10-15 bucks cheaper than on newegg.

If you got any more questions Kev, message me on steam sometime and if I've got some time I'll sit down and talk it all over with you.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 04:09:41 am »
+2
If you got any more questions Kev, message me on steam sometime and if I've got some time I'll sit down and talk it all over with you.

ty so much Jona! I couldn't have asked for a more detailed response. Will message with questions soon  :mrgreen:

Offline OpenPalm

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 18
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Thes
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 06:17:01 am »
+1
This is what I used, worked pretty well:

http://pcpartpicker.com/
Quote from: Smoothrich
Racism against our chinese gold grinding brothers.

Offline Tiger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 853
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • Made In China
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TigerGirl; MooMooMilk; BobaBubbleTea; TerraCotta; Tuberculosis; BoomStickGirl
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 06:59:46 am »
+3
Make sure everything is compatible with your motherboard.

"The long united must divide; the long divided must unite."
"How many things, before and after, all melt into gossip and laughter."

Offline Krex

• Earl
  • Renown: 403
  • Infamy: 165
  • How did I get here?
    • View Profile
    • Steam
  • Game nicks: Krex
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 10:09:25 am »
Would recommend an intel CPU(if yoz want an APU,go for AMD),but rather take a xeon.They are cheaper than i7s and are almost the same-they just dont have integrated graphics,which you dont need anyways because you are going to buy a graphicscard.
Quote from: Tomeusz link=topic=45416.msg717346#msg717346
horse just standing on 2 feets and does "yhohohohoh".

Offline chesterotab

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 634
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 02:04:37 pm »
I would say including some type of SSD in your build to install windows and warband on is a must. The difference is extremely noticeable in every windows function from booting up to surfing the web. I have owned a few of them and never had a problem (my oldest is three years old), you will very likely not run into any of the reliability issues early SSDs had. ~100 bucks is what you should expect to spend on one, and the benefit of that 100 dollars will be much much more pronounced than if you spent an extra 100 on a more powerful CPU or more RAM.

Just my opinion, but making a new pc in 2014 (Even a budget pc) without including some SSD at least for your windows installation is a poor decision.

▲ ▲