Author Topic: Solution (Lance Cav)  (Read 807 times)

Offline JasonPastman

• Count
  • Renown: 285
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guys That CMP Has Quoted [GTCHQ]
  • Game nicks: Jason_The_Great
Solution (Lance Cav)
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:11:15 am »
AIGHT WOOT! GO MEH!... but why you ask? because I have discovered the final solution to making lance cav good again and yet also making it so every cav hater will be happy to.  So what's the solution you ask?  Well simple, Buff the damage (thus making cav realistic and viable) but balance this by making it so once the thrust is released it cannot be moved in another direction until the thrust is complete.  SO VALHALLA! now people can master avoiding cav by side stepping their thrusts and not getting ganked by last minute adjustments and cav can master a new harder mechanic that is actually rewarding (like warband is meant to be).  AKA. win/win!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 01:56:21 am by JasonPastman »
If a majority be united by a common interest, the rights of the minority will be insecure - James Madison
It is not wisdom but Authority that makes a law - Thomas Hobbes.
Too busy not giving a fuck...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 1177
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Thryn
  • IRC nick: Black Bastards
Re: Solution (Lance Cav)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 03:39:52 pm »
+6

We may not love corrupt government, but we must love our country.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 05:22:30 pm »
+1
Increase lance damage, increase damage taken from melee. If you are going to oneshot me i want to one shot you too.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 05:28:52 pm »
Well simple, Buff the damage (thus making cav realistic) but balance this by making it so once the thrust is released it cannot be moved in another direction until the thrust is complete. 

1) Boof cav? Are you cereal?
2) If they thrust, they can't move? The only people who can't avoid that are retarded, rendering cav useless. Imagine being infantry and not being able to turn after overheading. #garbage

Sorry to say, but your idea is terribad. 1/10.

edit: Maybe cav acceleration & deceleration can make cav more "balanced"

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 05:33:54 pm by anotherGhost »

Offline JasonPastman

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 06:59:21 pm »
+1
Sorry to say, but your idea is terribad. 1/10.

I dunno, Picard might not like it but Spock sure does, and that guy doesn't smile for anything!

1) Boof cav? Are you cereal?
2) If they thrust, they can't move? The only people who can't avoid that are retarded, rendering cav useless. Imagine being infantry and not being able to turn after overheading. #garbage

edit: Maybe cav acceleration & deceleration can make cav more "balanced"

first off I'm a person not cereal, nor any other form of consumable. And secondly you contradict yourself with the your second statement where you acknowledge that this would not be a "boof".

but yea, i like the acceleration Idea, though this would definitely not be a buff.  At the moment lance cav can just couch you (1 shot), and jumping out of the way against someone who knows how to move the thing won't save you.  So why not make it so people can learn to avoid cav while making the learning curve for cav that much higher yet rewarding for someone who takes the time to master it.  The way warband is suppose to be.

Furthermore, this would require that lance cav spec into agility because I agree with your second point and the way to counter this would be to make your horse faster/ more maneuverable, which would require much more riding and make cav more what the other guy was saying/requesting, more one shot-able. 

In addition, it would create a new interesting mechanic for the different lances particularly the light, (), and heavy, because of the time variable of the thrusts. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:09:34 pm by JasonPastman »
If a majority be united by a common interest, the rights of the minority will be insecure - James Madison

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 07:10:05 pm »
Buff the damage

The whole point of buffing damage is to try to counter the "can't move during thrust" idea, hopefully forming some sort of balance. I was trying to say that boofing the damage wouldn't balance what you're trying to implement, and I'm pretty well opposed to all cav damage buffs.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 07:17:55 pm by anotherGhost »

Offline JasonPastman

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:20:20 pm »
Also this would encourage cav to go after cav because they are a bigger target and would not be saved by the mechanic and with the increased damage light cav would be able to take out heavy cav.  Thus reducing cav especially heavy cav from from interacting with melee, another boon for melee/cav-haters.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 07:33:05 pm »
Also this would encourage cav to go after cav because they are a bigger target and would not be saved by the mechanic and with the increased damage light cav would be able to take out heavy cav.  Thus reducing cav especially heavy cav from from interacting with melee, another boon for melee/cav-haters.

I don't want light cav to take out heavy cav, I'd prefer that they target archers/ha's and so forth. I just want heavy cav to stop being treated like a thundering tank. If they 'dun goofed', they usually can just get out of a 7v1 and continue to run about the battlefield. When this happens, I'd prefer they go down.

Offline JasonPastman

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 02:44:48 am »
Also....

I think that was really what all the commotion was about.

Offline JasonPastman

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 04:46:34 am »
I don't want light cav to take out heavy cav, I'd prefer that they target archers/ha's and so forth.

Well that to, because at the moment light cav are useless against any range because they cannot 1 shot them, light cav are guaranteed to get rekt anytime they are within range of range.

Offline Thryn

• Meme Artisan
  • Game Admin (trial)
  • buff 2h tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 01:38:07 pm »
Well that to, because at the moment light cav are useless against any range because they cannot 1 shot them, light cav are guaranteed to get rekt anytime they are within range of range.

I don't mind if light cav dies to the ranged or not, I just want someone to chase them around so they don't shoot at me :D
I think you're speaking in terms of individual playstyle, while I'm trying to be more team oriented

Take Total War for example: If you don't use/don't know how to use light cav, kill yourself.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 03:13:11 pm »
+2
Solution for what? Lance cavalry is very good after Tydeus improved the sweetspots of one handed polearm stab.

I don't mind if light cav dies to the ranged or not, I just want someone to chase them around so they don't shoot at me :D
I think you're speaking in terms of individual playstyle, while I'm trying to be more team oriented
Well, you are taking the wrong approach then as it is completely irrelevant. If you believe any light cav is going to suicide themselves to ensure you don't get shot you need a reality check, and you need to stop being selfish.